Further Adventures In Two-Worlds

But, for now, only for people who bought the Game-of-the-Year edition. Developers Zuxxez have announced a “brand new multiplayer add-on”, which will apparently allow some co-op exploration of the game quests, as well as a bunch of new content. Misleadingly written press releases make Baby Jim Cry. This content is now available for all Two Worlds owners to download. This includes some changes to the game world to open up a new trade district and “business centre” as well as some rather more traditional missions.

Players can now go on the hunt for a crazy Necromancer, unsolve the mystery of a massacre in a woodcutters’ camp, deal with a rebel knight (permanently) and lots more.

You can pick up the free Tainted Blood expansion from the 1st May on the official website, and Two Worlds owners can expect more downloadable content to arrive soon thereafter.

(I haven’t played Two-Worlds, but it doesn’t look too bad. Does anyone have any opinions on how it compare to Gothic 3, or The Witcher?)

1. Kanakotka says:

I don’t know if i’m just weird like that… but after a game fails to remove obvious cheatless powerhouse technique (making potions so nice that you’ll never be damaged again) from the game before release, the bias on the game changes quite a bit. Surely, they’ve fixed that already, but…

While it’s generally a good game, it is plagued by it not being properly betatested. It’s (or was) riddled with bugs, imbalances in combat and that kind of thing. If you don’t ever pick alchemy, you should be just fine.

2. Arty says:

Actually, the GOTY owners already -have- this expansion. Everyone else may download it from the 1st May onwards.

3. Rook says:

It’s not like Oblivion didn’t have it’s own cheatless powerhouse techniques (spell chains/taint magic etc). I’m still struggling through Gothic 3, which although I love, you’d think several patches later someone would have removed the instant rape ability from most of the wildlife.

4. Albides says:

I didst think it an abyss of mediocrity. As I didst run from one awkward and painfully archaic conversation to another, forsooth, and was laid low by vile monsters only to be revivified upon the holy shrine not three paces distant, so as to see my assailants turneth like unto one creature and administer unto me a coup de grace destitute of either grace or mercy, verily I didst think to myself, wherefore is the profit in this venture?

5. Jonas says:

Albides: The sad thing is that YOUR achaic language has the conversations in Two Worlds beat by a long shot because not only are they achaic, they’re also extremely boringly written. The Witcher’s dialogue may have been a little wobbly, but at least it was tolerable.

I stopped playing Two Worlds when the game froze my machine for the fifth or so time. Never got co-op to work (which is what I bought it for, but as soon as the game loads, the computer freezes), and every time I tried to enter a particular town to the north-east, the game locked up. My only consolation is that I bought it very very cheaply during Steam’s weekend sale.

6. Albides says:

No hardware problems with me, but it was like the whole game was conspiring to make me hate it. I would have put up with the stilted conversations and the brainless respawns if I could sum up some sort of enthusiasm for the world or the plot. But both were dull. After a conversation with my sister, with whom for some reason I could magically communicate at certain locations(groan), I realised saving someone I didn’t know or care about would be more chore than glorious quest.

I uninstalled it shortly afterwards.

What I don’t get is what with the lukewarm reviews, why the hell would they bring out more content?

7. AndrewC says:

Rook: those poisonous bloodflies are part of the charm of Gothic, yes? That they can hide in the grass and then kill you with one sting, thus making them far more deadly than the durr-headed orcs, adds a bit of spice to the world.

Well, maybe, but a comparison of bugs or exploits is not perhaps the best way to compare these games. The joy for those of us who like wandering around in these open worlds is wanting to be in that world – if, despite all the inevitable problems, the world has ‘charm’ or ‘personality’ (in scare quotes because they are massively subjective and personal reactions to a game), you’ll happily spend time there. Even doing grind-y stuff is OK as it is part of a greater fiction of being-in-the-world.

Two Worlds feels to me like such a cynical me-too Oblivion clone it couldn’t summon up any individual charm at all. Cynical shovel-ware, or just a profound lack of inventiveness (even by the standards of the canon-bound genre of fantasy), I don’t know, but i could form no attachment to the world, so wanted to spend no time in it.

8. Rook says:

AndrewC: It’s the wolves that get me at the moment, I just leave the bloodflies well alone :D

A lot of games getting mixed reviews tend to sell really, really well (assassin’s creed, witcher, kane & lynch, army of two etc). I’m not sure whether it’s game reviewers becoming too elitist/critical or whether we’re simply sinking into mediocrity. After all, most of the music I listen to wouldn’t review well, but I like it, regardless of it’s repetitiveness, clunkiness, lack of technical finesse etc

9. Chaz says:

Well it looked pretty and I thought the combat wasn’t quite as frustrating as Gothic 3’s was, and there was a nice feel of exploration in some varied scenery, but there ends the good points.

Near one shot kills from enemy archers, slain animals respawning at night as near invincible ghosts, being able to stack 12 crappy rusty swords to make an uber weapon, the crap dialogue and quests. The game didn’t last long on my hard drive.

10. Jason Russell says:

On the 360 two worlds is the only fantasy RPG co op in town on the PC im almost certain you can do better.

I thought the ability to combine crap weapons into better stuff was a great idea really, i mean just from a logistics stand point it meant less traipsing back to the town , it afforded you a bit of customisability which is either non existent or extremely long winded in other RPG’s

11. sherman says:

this explains how i feel about this crapshoot game

12. araczynski says:

first, its not a game you should touch on the 360, full of bugs, and looks like crap due to the console limitations.

the pc side i am really enjoying, even with the cheese conversations and constant attempts at old proper english or somesuch.

i enjoyed oblivions, the gothics, and have the witcher on the backburner while they finalize the extra whatever edition, but i’ll also say that i enjoyed dungeon lords, as unfinished as it was.

if you crank up the graphics on this game it looks surprisingly very nice, great open lands, and lots of neat stuff to hack to pieces.

this is a game for people that love rpg’s, not for those that are popping wood over the next devil may cry or ninja gaiden or wow clone.

13. Matt says:

I like rpgs a lot and am always interested in new ones so tried the demo. I thought this was just awful, generic fantasy rubbish.

It had bad graphics, terrible dialogue and voice acting, sluggish controls, poor performance for the quality of the graphics and just generally uninspired game play.

14. Jonas says:

Yeah I love RPG’s, but Two Worlds just struck me as an insult to the genre.

15. fluffy bunny says:

Nah, it’s pretty good. Very generic, very cheesy, but also quite enjoyable and pretty much bug-free after the patches.

16. grey_painter says:

I’m one of those odd people who enjoyed the cheesy dialogue, at least they had more than 3 voice actors rotated like oblivion. I agree the graphics when looking at people are a little bit dodge but the vistas from some of the high points are absolutely stunning. To be honest I found the game to be quietly charming, you get the impression that a fair amount of love went into its creation. Yes combat is very hard and revolving around the healing shrines but once you’ve leveled up a bit and found some nice weapons it is very satisfying to be able to walk into a grom camp and dispatch everything in it with one or two swipes.

I’ve more or less ignored the main story for the moment, walking around the country side there is usually something to distract you and a multitude of quests to take part in. The background of the world is interesting too, especially the mythology the orcs have that explain why they are fighting. After a discussion with one character I started to feel mildly guilty about killing the orcs.

But as I said I’m an odd person

17. popcorn says:

The problem with Two Worlds is that it’s $40 on Steam. They had a deal a while back where it was $10, and many people in one of the forums I hung out in got it and loved the hell out of that game. It is awful, but it has co-op, bears, etc.

Also, it has a 1.5 gigabyte patch. 1.5 GIGS.

18. Alex says:

I remember when it was first released and one of the devs said Two Worlds was a better game than Oblivion because it had better working horses.

Not that great a feat, you’d think, but there you go.

19. araczynski says:

i’m not sure why people think the graphics suck in this game, unless they’re referring to the 360 version. i’m playing at 1600×900 cranked up and everything looks very beautiful. the grass in game at the least is done with a much better solution than the oblivion one. horse combat/use is DEFINITELY better than anything oblivion had as well.

beautiful scenery as well.

i love oblivion, so i’m not saying this is in any way better than that, but this game is pretty good if you have the system to run it, especially after the patches.

although i’ll agree that the 360 version should never have been made, it looks and plays like horseshit. they earned a lot of bad karma for releasing that version.

20. Javaguy says:

I really like Two Worlds. I got it on Steam for a fiver and play it online with a few other PCG members. The single player campaign, like Oblivions, has a rubbish story but some really good side quests.

TW has a much more dense word than Oblivions, with loads of small villages dotted around. The northern areas of the game also have a different feel to the southen areas, so the world feels a lot bigger.

I reviewed Two Worlds a while back but the review is too rubbish to link to. I will, however, stand by my summing up:

“So, yeah, Two Worlds really is a game of juxtapositions, like a Trabant: Eastern European, rubbish, yet still charming enough to draw loyal fans. You’ll either find yourself hating the game due to it’s flaws or loving it for the feeling love that has gone into everything, from the gently swaying trees to the way the grass becomes charred when fire spells hit it.”

21. Noc says:

I’m just wondering how you “unsolve” a mystery.

22. drunkymonkey says:

“deal with a rebel knight (permanently)”

Not like those other RPGs wherein you mildly abuse them with fisticuffs, then.