Friday Linkswap: Boing Boing Gadgets

One of the peculiar things about running a website with a fairly large readership is that you begin to get to know lots of other blogfolk. We now count the staff of many of the blogs you lot read on a daily basis as friends of RPS, and in the spirit of that online chummery we’re going to start linking to one of them. Boing Boing Gadgets, with whom we’ve struck up a healthy, manly relationship, are going to be swapping some headlines with us. We’re going to pick the stuff we think has been cool on BBG, and link it here and vice versa. It’s not going to be all about PC gaming, but we hope its stuff that some of you guys will still find interesting. Likewise the BB crowd will be getting pointed in the direction of our busy little PC gaming ghetto and introduced to the opinionated melange that is Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Click onwards for the links, a BBG quote, and my own vague, flippant commentary.

The BBG 1k Competition Gallery. BBG says: “1 kilobyte. 1 kibibyte. 1 kilobit. 1,000 ASCII characters. Source code, file size, tile size, the number of letters in a short story: you decide.” Jim says: A clever line-up of 1k creations, but I suspect RPS readers are more talented than BBG readers. Right? Anyway, the idea of 1k short stories amuses me enormously. Do they take up 1k of space in my imagination?

Marilyn Manson’s Absinthe: BBG says: “Mansinthe. This is the exact name of the house specialty at a strange underground absinthe bar I was dragged to in San Francisco’s Castro district a few years back. You don’t even want to know how they louched it.” Jim says: It’s almost as if Kieron could have named it. I’ve always suspected there was a link between the bearded one’s love of eyeliner and the Californian millionaire goth scene.

The modular reforming robot. BBG says: “The day is soon approaching when even smashing apart our rebellious robot slaves with hammers and axes will not prevent each individually severed body part from crawling towards you across the room, a murderous and autonomous agent of servo-controlled musculature.” Jim says: The End Times. (That’s a great name for a newspaper, isn’t it?)

The Space Invader Chopping Board. BBG says: “If anyone asks, just tell everyone that the design on your new cutting board is a macroscopic view of one of the virulent bacterium dwelling in its wooden gouges.” Jim says: My girlfriend has already said I can’t have one, despite it unifying my great loves of videogaming and cooking dinner for her every single night.

Who gives a shit about Mp3’s killing the album? BBG says: “Albums should have their own beginning, middle and end: shuffling an album should shuffle its emotional tenor. For me, listening to a song at random without listening to the rest of the album is like reading a chapter randomly from a book. A song might be wonderful, but it is contextless out of its larger body.” Jim says: I find myself reordering jumbled Winamp’d MP3s into original album listings all too often. BBG and RPS are united in some kind of OCD nerdhell. Who’d have thought it? But in all seriousness: I’ve always enjoyed the way albums are artfully structured by bands and producers, it’d be hideous to lose that.

1. The Shed says:

That is possibly the most bizarre, awesome blog I ever done seen. Cheers for raising our awareness over here RPS boys.

I need a space invader chopping board now.

2. dartt says:

I agree absolutely about the album thing, I rarely ever listen to my mp3 collection on random.
    I can’t imagine listening to albums like ‘Astral Weeks’ or ‘Pet Sounds’ out of order. I’ve often read in interview about how an artist or group of artists agonise over track order, even leaving perfectly great songs off an album just because it doesn’t fit in to the flow.

Cool news about you hooking up with the BB Gadgets guys, the RPS rise to global blogination is gaining momentum.

3. Flint says:

I spend most of my music listening time playing full albums and I think it’s the best way of listening to music, but I can’t deny the fact that my iPod Mini’s shuffle feature is quite nice whenever I want to listen to music on the road but don’t have time for a full album.

4. mujadaddy says:

I think I found RPS from Boing Boing… who can remember though…

Anyhow, good to know you’re having manly relations :P (tell Brownlee: “Decaf!”)

5. Ian says:

I have added them to my bookmarks.

Yes, NOW they have truly made it.

6. cHeal says:

I always listen to music on random. I find that when I listen to full albums i order each song just merges into the next, which is nice in itself but causes me huge frustration when I hear the song on the radio, and without the rest of the album it no longer feels like a full song in and of itself.

That’s actually fairly weird. I also have a lot of song where I picked and mixed because I only had a 4gig HDD at the time and they weren’t my albums so I couldn’t be bothered getting them back to rip in full, and in some case half the songs were rubbish too.

7. brog says:

solution: don’t listen to the damn radio.

8. Homunculus says:

Cross pollination of this sort is a-okay by me; it’s like a tiny step towards project Big Geek.

9. nakke says:

Agree with the album part. I do tend to pick which album to listen to on random, but then listen it from start to finish.

10. likes rocks says:

Aargh! Not BB! Well, as long as it’s BBG, not BB proper. There’s only so much self-absorbed navel-gazing one can take.

11. phuzz says:

Why do more mp3 players (software or hardware) not have a ‘Shuffle Albums’ button? I spend most of my time listening to whole albums, and occasionally the odd mix. I think that might partly be to do with the eclecticness of my music collection, Playing Rage Against The Machine straight after Emiliana Torrini would be a tad jarring, (although I do have mix CD’s with both on, there’s just other stuff bridging the gap in between)

12. TreeFrog says:

Amen. I come here to read about PC games, not the latest OMGMUSTSEETHIS web 2.0 discovery by some painfully cool San Francisco denizen with scene hair.

13. Rob Beschizza says:

Jim, thank you and much love!

14. Ben Hazell says:

Nicely timed – BBG has got a lot better recently with added staff and a better post rate.

But – when do they start linking to you?

15. J says:

I’m an album person. Saying that feels like alcoholic’s anonymous these days.

16. Roshid says:

Gimana yaaa cara download game nya???
    Kalo dilihat – lihat kaya’ nya gamenya asyik&seru!!!!!!

17. malkav11 says:

I confess that these days I do shuffle a lot more than I used to (I mean, I never used to) due to my iPod – if I just want a background soundtrack while travelling or reading away from home, it’s much easier to just have it pull random tracks out of the thousands I have on it, indefinitely, than to queue up another album every time the most recent one ends. Plus, for shorter hauls, I’d end up listening to the first half or however much of the album far more than the rest. Which would be vexing.

But in general I prefer to subscribe to the album order as chosen by the artists themselves. It doesn’t always make a difference, but when it does, it really does.

18. Chaz says:

Well I just learnt a new word. I know what “louching” is now.

19. Dinger says:

Mansinthe makes a mockery of the green fury and lays bare the split in the absinthe world that the recent spate of legalization has brought about.

For starters, you get places where Absinthe hasn’t been consumed for nearly a century, and mention of it evokes imagines of la Belle Epoque, Victorians outraged at paintings of decadent actors, and whispers of madness.
    But head up into the Jura mountains, the birthplace of Absinthe, and a different story unfolds. Sure, some guy shot his wife and kids a century ago, but Absinthe had a bum rap in all that. And just because some puritanical politicos banned it doesn’t mean you stop making it. There, Absinthe means the rugged liberty of mountainfolk, and a damn fine drop to boot. Legalization just means that you can now find the bottles in the front of the shop, instead of the back. They flavor sausages with it. Heck, I’ve even tasted Fee Verte ice cream (which, incidentally, I recommend on a hot Swiss afternoon).

Should you descend from Val-de-Travers to the foot of the Jura, you’ll likely find yourself in Neuchatel, on the lake of the same name. Every September, they feature the “Wine-grape Harvest” Festival. The wines of Neuchatel are excellent, but the visitor searching for a bottle at the Harvest Festival, pushing through the teeming hordes and fighting back the crowds of children, teenagers, college students, farmers, office workers, the mayor (when she’s not in rehab) and pensioners, will find little reward. So why not head on over to the Absinthe tent? If you can’t remember making a mistake, is it still a mistake?

20. Rob Beschizza says:

Sorry about the delayed posting of our counterthrust, gents:

link to gadgets.boingboing.net

21. Sam says:

Nice work lads, BBG has for me become required reading since messirs Brownlee(ne florian eckhart of kotaku, more recently of ectomo) and Beschizza having joined the fold.

22. Therum says:

It’s weird. I really can’t stand Boing Boing, but I love Boing Boing Gadgets.