BootFighter Windom

Good Morning, Internet. To start the day as we mean to go on, I’d like to refer you to IndieGames.com’s review of Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2. It’s a robo-fighting game in the Japanese style, complete with waves of giant robo-enemies and a destructible city. Needless to say, lasers and guided missiles abound, and it all gets a bit tricky rather quickly. Not a bad little fighting game, and ideal since the Armored Core games haven’t shown up on PC. And it’s all the more impressive for its 60mb (4.3 Peggle) download. Here’s a direct link to the game file, and the trailer is after the jump.

I’ve always preferred a stompy mech myself. These Japanese boy are a bit too much like chrome insects.

1. Deathcakes says:

Stompy or not they do have lasers, a bonus mark in anyones book.

2. tom says:

insect>stompy anyday!
    I do wish these mech games would go further though, they need to be full on surreal hyperworld av distortofests!

3. KBKarma says:

Alright! Armoured Core for the PC! Well, close enough.

This is lovely. I’ll be looking forward to this.

Along with Sledgehammer and Stalin.

4. Jochen Scheisse says:

Game = Win
    Music = Lose

5. caesar says:

I don’t mind these chrome ones but I just love the ones from Earth 2150.

6. Optimaximal says:

Ace game… tends to get a little spammy, the controls can be confusing (the idea of many separate keys for different weapons just hurts my head) and every mech is ripped off Gundam in one way or another (the Akatsuki knock-off is the best), but its still extreme fun, promising and entertaining!

7. Ging says:

Jochen: Because that style of music is still really popular in Japan? :p

8. Hobbes says:

“I wonder what it is that traps so many asian game musicians in that crappy synthie rock 80s thing.”

Well, it fits nicely don’t you think? Better than the Sturm und drang Heavy metal you’d probably get if it came from a Western developer. Besides, didn’t you know? In the future, all music will be synthesised.

I think I’m going to have to get this game, if only because the first robot in the trailer is pretty much the match of a small model robot I brought back from Hong Kong out of one of those toy dispensing egg machines.

9. Gurrah says:

The bot I chose only had a weird boomerang with very limited range and 4 cluster rockets that took forever to reload – not impressed.

10. brog says:

Jochen: Because they’re not afraid to be awesome.

11. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Hmm… considering RPS occasionally mentions Japanese indie games, why don’t we see mention of any of the danmaku “jeez that’s a lotta bullets, and the pattern’s awfully pretty, and ohcrapohcrapohcrapDODGEDODGE–bomb!Hahah…OHWAITNOOHSHI–” genre games?

I’m of course, talking about the Touhou Project games. Why not mention any of them? For Japanese indie top-down shooters, they’re pretty darned popular. Also, they inspire far too many memes on certain image boards Who Shall Not Be Named to be ignored.

12. 18Rabbit says:

Giant robot mechs should be stompy and not use melee weapons ever.

13. Thiefsie says:

has me yearning for a virtua on system :(

14. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

18Rabbit:

A certain drill that is a drill that will pierce the heavens would like to say otherwise.

15. brog says:

18Rabbit: is stomping not a melee attack? or is that just for show?

16. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

I suppose by “no melee weapons” he means unarmed melee attacks. Insofar as a giant war machine could be considered “unarmed.”

You know, like Gigantor/Iron Man #28.

17. brog says:

So where do we draw the line? Can it stomp with feet made of enormous spinning blades? Can it use a sword if it’s a fixed part of its arm? What if it’s arm is a sword?

18. fluffy bunny says:

Of course that would be ridiculous. What do you expect to do with a giant sword when your opponent has a rocket launcher that would take you out before you could stomp your way over to him?

19. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Or a drill. Don’t forget about drills!

20. Kieron Gillen says:

Dorian: You’re right – we haven’t done much on Shmup stuff recently. I suspect our attention’s just been elsewhere. I hadn’t even checked to see if Kenta Cho has released something recently. And he has!

KG

21. Larington says:

My believeometer starts to bottom out when I see mechs flying around with not even a half assed attempt at giving some kinda regard to this thing called aerodynamics. If its a jump jet that allows hopping of a sort, yeah, that just about works, but anything more than that is a turn off for me.

22. Optimaximal says:

In all fairness, the original MSG universe (0079, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ & CCA) had a fair understanding and application of physics – mobile suits grew out of the need for more mobile and independent weaponry as the invention of nuclear drives resulted in a by product that interfered with radio, radar & other types of communication/electronic weaponry.
    They also gave them legs in space as, despite their weightlessness, they used the limbs as a form of zero-g balance control called AMBAC, an admittedly fictional process that is based on Newtons laws of motion.
    Also, the space colonies were designed closely on the principal of O’Neill cylinders.

23. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Kieron:

Well, cheers to more Japanese indie stuff! Granted, the doujin/indie field is usually a crapshoot far as quality goes, but it’s never a bad thing to find a diamond in the rough.

Fluffy Bunny, and other doubters:

Well, I honestly can’t imagine any laser cannons, rocket launchers, proton torpedoes, thermonuclear arsenals, galaxies-used-as-improvised-weapons, backstabbing spies, or even Acts of Endless Bear being any contest to Drills at this point.

Warning: Spoilers, but I don’t imagine people here watch this stuff, so it’s not as though it matters.

Honestly though, anyone who, to this day, can still looks back at his childhood and say, with wistful sincerity, that Optimus Prime was really freaking Awesome owes himself to watch Gurren Lagann.

EDIT: Actually, Optimaximal, before Gundam came around, giant robot shows were less about mechanics and hard(ish) sci-fi, and more about over-the-top heroism, fighting spirit, and kicking metal ass and taking names. The first Gundam series made realism and military concepts in robot shows popular. Another show altogether made Emo Manbaby Robot Pilots popular, while the last Gundam show to have any real creative drive or imagination was the underappreciated Turn A Gundam… which had almost a mystic quality to it, filled with delightful anachronisms and a definite “period piece” feel, combined with unorthodox mechanical designs. Since SEED came out, robot shows have been more shallow and pop-ish. With a notable exception.

(See fanboyish recommendation above.)

But, seriously, screw realism. If thais line sounded at all cheesy to you, that’s because you haven’t watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet:

“Believe in yourself. Not you, who believes in me. Not me, who believes in you. Believe in you, who believes in yourself!

It can turn the most stoic critic into a believer (like me). When Halo 3 told you to “believe,” they were just posing. No, this is the real deal. For the love of Optimus Prime, you must watch this show.

24. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Damn, missed the edit deadline: *ahem*

/fanboyishramble

25. sbs says:

seriously now.
    what the hell is a Peggle?

26. Jochen Scheisse says:

Don’t be confused just cause you use the Tetric system, like the rest of the world.

27. Ben Abraham says:

I’m saddened. I couldn’t get it to run – some error about missing some “DX9something” .dll… According to the friendly feedback on the error message ‘Reinstalling the application may fix this’, however It did not.

(I have a recent version of the .Net Framework and XP.SP2 installed, if that’s at all relevant – which it might not be. Maybe they just really liked the Windows abbreviations and appropriated them for their title??!)

Advice people? I gots to get me some drill!

28. MeestaNob! says:

Ben Abraham, just re-install the latest direct x and it should update/insert any files you need.

29. Larington says:

“Basically, most anime mecha shows are fairly grounded in mechanical know-how. Or at least, they were until Gundam SEED.”

A bit of a shame, since it seems as though SEED is the only one that I ever hear of here in the UK.

Were I that way inclined I might look into the earlier ones, but I don’t honestly have the patience or time for that at the moment (Assignment deadlines and all that).

30. Cruz says:

I’ll gladly pay you a BootFighter Tuesday, for a new Mechwarrior (on PC) today.

31. fluffy bunny says:

“No, I’m not being facetious. I’m just being a fanboy. Because his drill is a drill that pierces the heavens.

link to youtube.com

Errr.. that was unbelievably stupid. Sorry. :)

32. Albides says:

If by stupid you mean awesome, then yes!

I agree with the comment about the game being spammy and the controls being awkward, but it’s been so long since I’ve played a mech game I just don’t care. I can appreciate both the blocky, lumbering bipedal weapons platforms favoured by the west and the sleek, acrobatic robots that owe as much to the martial arts genre as to sci fi. All are awesome.

33. Sightseemc says:

Did you guys just have an argument over what weapons are realistically feasible on insta-transforming, plasma-propelled, glow in the dark giant combat robots?

Put the bowl down. Turn the lights back on. Come up for air. :)

34. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Oh yes we did. And for the record, the winner is Drill.

35. fluffy bunny says:

Sightseemc: Well, mechs shouldn’t be insta-transforming, plasma-propelled glow in the dark et.c., they should be heavy, stomping monstrosities that move slowly (complete with loud mechanical noises) and destroys everything with heavy machineguns and missiles. And they should never, ever fly. :)

36. Thingus says:

The way I saw it, Gurren-Lagann was awesome. And stupid. The reason it was so awesome was because it was so stupid, and the reason it was so stupid was because it was so awesome. It doesn’t take it’sself seriously in any way, shape or form, and that’s great :D . Also, big, stompy mechs often fly! Haven’t you ever used jumpjets?

PS: Good to know I’m not the only anime geek around here :D

37. Ixtab says:

Dorian Cornelius Jasper: I must say I completely agree with your points. It irritates me when things pretend to be realistic but aren’t but when something goes all the way and throws out realism for sheer awesomeness I think it’s a fair trade off.

“Who the hell do you think we are!” I loved Gurren Lagann. Damn awesome.

I haven’t had a chance to play this game yet but I am a fan of the japanese style of mechs more than the big stompy kind, although they are also good, so I shall definately give it a go.

38. Ixtab says:

Well I fail a lot because I get confused and just mash all the weapon buttons but I have fun while doing so. I’m not sure it’s something I could play for very long but it’s a nice distraction. I’d rather the controls were less all over the place with a different button for every weapon though.

Sorry for the double post but I missed the edit time.

39. Cooper says:

It seems to have one of those control systems that is only intelligible with a gamepad.

An excellent peow-peow smashy smashy shiny robots snack.