Overclocked Demo Out

The demo for House of Tales’ Overclocked: A History Of Violence is out. For those horribly ill-informed about it, Alec wrote a splendid preview here.

A man, in a bar, yesterday.

The tale of psychiatrist David McNamara, and his efforts to figure out what’s gone wrong in the brains of five young patients, is from the people who made The Moment Of Silence, both point and click adventures. More details and the trailer below.

Overclocked is getting decent reviews so far (apart from a B- at Just Adventure, which is the equivalent of getting a minus score on most websites, or under a 6.0 on IGN). As ever, I hope for good things, but have yet to get my paws on a copy. It’s written by Martin Ganteföhr, the author of The Moment Of Silence, and also one of the most reasonable human beings on Earth.

Tell me about the dismembered corpse of your mother.

The demo is just under a gigabyte (about forty billion Peggles), but good luck getting hold of it. Most of Worth Playing‘s servers are dead links, only the German ones working, and offering about 60k/s. Or there’s the unbridled joy of FilePlanet and their non-paying queues. Only four hours to go before my download’s finished!

Here’s the trailer:

1. Will Tomas says:

I think the notion of a ‘Peggle’ as a unit of file size is slowly being eroded. Time to scrap it?

2. phuzz says:

When will companies learn to just set up bittorrents of things like this? It’s exactly what BT is designed for, and I’m sure most companies are full of people who use it at home anyway.

3. Kangarootoo says:

They have the english demo over at http://www.gamershell.com.

link to gamershell.com

4. Gap Gen says:

Could you bribe Google to add ‘1 peggle = n MB’ to Google calculator?

5. Jochen Scheisse says:

phuzz: Encouraging the use of bit torrents may not be in game producers’ best interest.

6. Ozzie says:

why?

7. Jochen Scheisse says:

Because with every new bit torrent user, there’s a chance he will use the software to download pirated stuff. So as a publisher you’ll want to avoid making it mandatory to own a bit torrent to get your demos and force people who don’t know how to run a torrent yet to learn it.

8. joe says:

@Jochen: Just because bittorrent is used in the pirating community doesn’t make it any less ideal to distribute large files.

9. joe says:

@Jochen: That’s like Hitler burning books because he didn’t want people to become intelligent enough to make their own decisions.

10. Rob says:

@joe

Yes. That’s exactly what it’s like, and if Godwin beheld this debate he’d be smiling.

11. Alec Meer says:

Oh God IT’S HAPPENING AGAIN

12. Jochen Scheisse says:

joe: But using bit torrent is like Hitler using the SA to assault political enemies: It works just fine as long as you have no problem with being connected to a bunch of queers.

GODWIN CUTS BOTH WAYS, AHAHAHA!

13. Geoff says:

And the RPS guys didn’t even mention piracy. It seems the comments debate is now self-starting and self-sustaining. Soon this site will no longer require content posting.

Oh hell, I’ll toss one in:
    @joe:
    “Just because bittorrent is used in the pirating community doesn’t make it any less ideal to distribute large files.”

Did someone dispute that statement?

Rob beat me to your other comment.

Would you support handing guns out to all citizens? They are, after all, intelligent enough to make their own decisions. And just because some bad people use guns to hurt each other, doesn’t make them any less ideal for hunting and self-defense.

Yes yes, we know, tools are just tools, and they’re useful for good and for evil. But when you make mildly unethical decisions much quicker and easier, you tend to increase their incidence.

John Walker says:

Blizzard use bit torrent for all their WoW downloads and updates – it’s possible to do in a proprietary way that doesn’t teach the masses of the pure evil of file sharing. Does that make Blizzard like Hitler?

Jochen – I’m having trouble detecting the irony in that last part of your comment. Do I need to delete it?

15. Lukasz says:

“Does that make Blizzard like Hitler”

Hitler brainwashed tens of million people
    Blizzard brainwashed ten of million people
    Hitler invaded Poland
    Blizzard invaded South Korea

there are few differences….just few.

but seriously talking?
    how can i buy this game. why there is no digital shop?

16. Rook says:

I say we take off and nuke the entire comments section from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

17. Jochen Scheisse says:

I admit, it is less ironic than absurd. The essential joke was about the Röhm Putsch, but contrary to normal uses of Godwin, the connection I established was not there to make an educated point about the sexual orientation of torrent users, but rather far fetched and senselessly provocative. Delete away if you want.

18. Lorc says:

Blizzard’s proprietary bit torrent patching system also has the virtue of not working under anything but perfect conditions. Not to mention that its streamlined lack of an options menu removes any risk of a competent user tricking it into functionality.

Please, no more of that kind of shit. Give me a proper .torrent file or don’t bother.

John Walker says:

Yes, I probably should have added that Blizzard’s system is a giant pile of shit.

20. Noc says:

And so the end begins. All that’s let to do is to wait.

21. Jahkaivah says:

IM RE-RAILING THESE COMMENTS NOW….

But seriously I always wanted to play a psychiatrist again, ever since 7 Days a Skeptic, hopefully this time round my patients wont be killed off by an evil space ghost (still sounds dumb now).

Hang on… technically Rasputin counted as a psychiatrist didn’t he?

John Walker says:

Amazingly no one from Just Adventure has appeared to tell me they hate me.

23. sbs says:

I got the game as soon as it came out, mainly because I loved TMoS. I enjoyed it enough to play through it, thanks to the compelling storyline and unique narration.
    I also found myself annoyed by some things, but those mainly due to me not really liking Adventure Games anymore. I feel like I’m wasting a fucking lot of time playing them, and I probably am wasting it to because I am retarded when it comes to solving the puzzles.
    Especially triggering memories with the voice recorder was becoming trial & error at some point which really annoyed me.
    Still, I can only recommend it to any Adventure Gamer, I just didn’t love it as much as TMoS.

24. Arsewisely says:

I welcome the invitation to “probe their deranged minds”. Far too few games allow you to do this.

25. subedii says:

Having tried the demo, I’m genuinely impressed. Not so much with the game itself, but with the fact that the designers have done everything they can to waste as little of your time as possible.

As soon as you click on the game icon, you can literally start from where you left off, you don’t even need to see so much as a menu screen.

Moving between locations is instantaneous, and on the few occasions it isn’t you can double click to run and get there faster

Any scenes or sequences can be bypassed with a simple double tap of the escape key, even if it’s something as simple as a fixed camera pan.

More games need to be designed like this, with the intention of avoiding any unnecessary frustration and just letting you play the game.

The narrative and dialogue seem interesting so far too, so I think I’m probably going to have to pick this one up.

26. Peter says:

Well the game so far is nice.

As mentioned before the only annoying part is the methodology the Psychiatrist uses to awaken the memories of his patients.

It gets really dull at times when you have to replay parts of sessions with the recorder.Though,other than that the game is really worth a play.

The atmosphere of the game reminds of Silent Hill 2and so do the graphics.

I’d give it an overall 7/10.

As far as the comments on BitTorrent filesharing are concerned I believe that since the torrent users are still rapidly becoming more around the world,the companies should encourage it and try to take advantage of it (Imagine each seed connected to you for the price of 0,15 $/seed for instance.The companies wouldnt even need to buy or manufacture DVDs/boxes/leaflets for the games so they would cut down on cost, time (=cost) and would also allow you to legally buy via the internet,without getting out of home,driving etc…)

I also believe that this way it could be easier to prohibit the minors downloading “explicit”, “violent” or in any form, inappropriate material.

Actually every company should use this method.They could finally earn their living honestly,without riping off customers and with proper web control they could be able to set the term piracy obsolete.

Capitalism has made it this way ~Old fashioned fascism will take it away.