Crysis Warhead Announced

Look this way please. No, here. FLASH. Dammit, too late.

The speculation was true. Crysis Warhead looks like it will indeed be the next game from Crytek.

The official Crysis homepage has updated itself with a new splash screen, showing the, well, bemused look of Crysis NPC Psycho, weilding a gun and apparently staring at my left foot. So let the speculation enter Phase Two.

After Crytek’s peculiar outburst during which they blamed piracy for their impressive sales (or something, I got confused), it seems pretty unlikely this will be a PC exclusive. But surely they’ll not entirely abandon the PC? Console-only Crysis games have been rumoured. Of course there’s no way of being sure just yet. Also, what’s up with Psycho appearing in the pic, and not the previous masked figure?

Edit: C&VG are saying they’ve heard that Psycho is replacing the previous protagonist.

1. major says:

I’m guessing expansion. The game would look and play like garbage on a console. it may as well be a different game.

2. propanol says:

Presumably console port, but heavily reworked as you couldn’t bring Crysis in the form it was released in for PC directly to consoles. Will probably be presented as an “alternate story”-kinda thing centered around Psycho and what the hell he was doing when Nomad was exploring the alien caves or whatever.

3. darkripper says:

This game will feature Psycho as main character because of piracy!

4. The_B says:

To be honest though, how long do we have to put up with Lannndahhn hard man stereotypes? I mean, Kieron’s been living there a few weeks now and he hasn’t felt the need to shave his beard and give himself a Vinnie Jones style nickname, has he?

…oh dear God, he hasn’t?

5. Radiant says:

Oi! I’m from London you chaps from the provinces just don’t know what its like… they roam the streets outside. At night.

These hairless men.

6. Joinn says:

Does this mean that the main character from Crysis has been pirated and they couldn’t get him back?

What’s up with that? Even the Somalian pirates ransom their captives…

7. Pod says:

They should have gone with Jesus Crysis.

8. Buh says:

I’d buy it, but I’m not sure if they’d patch any problems I have. So now I have to pirate it in case I waste my money. Aha!

9. wcaypahwat says:

Its a prequel. Centered around psycho’s previous occupation as a doorman at a popular london night spot. He wears a sweet suit.

10. Flint says:

I actually liked Psycho in the first game, despite the silly name. Dunno how well he’ll work outside a supporting NPC role though.

11. Alex says:

That would be hilarious.

In a game which is already filled to the brim with shoddily written stereotypes, Psycho takes the cake. Well done, Crytek, who cares about all that character/story shit anyway.

12. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Cor blimey guv.

Oops Mr Rothschild, ow’s yer apples and pears?

This looks good, but i’ll be too busy playing the spoons to waste any time on it.

13. rustdragon says:

I didn’t mind Psycho in the first one. I was hoping he would go “Psycho” at some point and just start killing people but it never happened. I guess he takes orders too well. Maybe he will live up to his name in the sequel…

14. derFeef says:

Ha, did you saw that “analysis” video about the splash screen? Interesting ;)
    link to gametrailers.com

15. H says:

I’d have said this would be a console only title, the naming convention along similar lines to the Grand Theft Auto titles Liberty City and Vice City Stories. Just a guess and I hope I’m wrong.

16. Lightbulb says:

Well actually tying their game to consoles will mean at least 1 good thing:

The specs for the PC version can’t be so insane. Consoles won’t really improve in terms of hardware so they can’t push the graphics boundary too much…

17. Nimic says:

What we have learned from games: Englishmen are either smart, sophisticated cowards, or crazy, hairless cavemen.

18. Jochen Scheisse says:

I didn’t understand the Crysis comment the way that the would abandon PC gaming, and it’s also highly improbable seeing as their momentary engine is tailored to the needs of high end PC systems. I rather understood that they would now tailor their new releases and especially their new engines to high end consoles, and let the PC gaming get what’s coming out in the end. And saying that releasing exclusively for the most and most easily pirated system is not a good business move does make sense, even if it instantly triggers the PC gamers’ knee jerk reaction.

Abandoning a market does not really make sense, while releasing on consoles first and then porting it to the PC more or less half-assed half a year later does make sense.

19. Optimaximal says:

More too the point, their games will now have to be much better optimised on release.
    Crysis looked great, but this came at the cost of optimisation – it ran like a turd on a large deal of PCs and has no hope on any console in its current state – whereas Call of Duty 4 (whilst not looking quite as impressive as Crysis) also looked great and ran brilliantly on pretty much everything it could be run on.

20. Nimic says:

As opposed to most people I did like Crysis. Part of the reason why I liked it was, I have to be honest here, because it looked absolutely fantastic. I was almost awestruck at some of the “scenes” in the game, like when chunks of the mountain came off, and you could view it from a very large distance.

Now, if this is made in particular for consoles, there’s a big part of it out right there. Not to mention that it’ll probably be ported, and that’ll make it look even worse.

21. Max says:

How can you even tell that’s Psycho. I believe you and all, but it could be any slap-head from Crysis, really.

22. cqdemal says:

Officially announced here:link to incrysis.com

In short: Fall 2008, PC exclusive, play as Psycho.

23. The_B says:

propanol wins the “on the money” award for being the most correct with his second statement, although loses it again for his first.

24. Deuteronomy says:

Pfft Characters and Story. Name me one FPS that really impressed on that front. Bioshock? Please. If you want a good plot read a book. If you want good gameplay get Crysis.

Psycho’s character was a lot more fun than any stupid little sister or big daddy, and no, I don’t need any overblown socialist philosophy in my games.

25. Fumarole says:

And the haters once again come out of the woodwork. Yay internet!

26. Saflo says:

This will end well.

27. Nick says:

“Pfft Characters and Story. Name me one FPS that really impressed on that front.”

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth? (Actually it was more atmosphere it nailed wonderfully, especially the interrogation sequence I thought..)

Er.. System Shock? Deus Ex?

28. Deuteronomy says:

Nick,

Ok fine. Recently then. Stalker had quite a unique story, little obscure, but still interesting. Besides that what do we have? COD4 with the eval Ruskies and Arabs? Crysis’ story actually wasn’t all that bad. Bland, simple, but not horrible. The Korean general, Rosenthal, Psycho, even Nomad felt like real characters vs cardboard cutouts. No not on the level of HL2, but it’s not like HL2’s story was all that super innovative either.

Of upcoming FPSes I really only see Alan Wake, and maybe Far Cry 2 as having an intriguing premises.

29. monchberter says:

Ok, so this is just Opposing Force / Blue Shift to Crysis’s Half-Life.

It’s a half decent idea as well i think, we never really do get an idea where Psycho is in Crysis, and i hope the crossover with Crysis is limited so that you’re not just playing the same levels through with a “FAAACKIN ‘ELLL” ‘cockerney geezaaa’.

30. SwiftRanger says:

PC exclusive stand-alone sequel, from Crytek’s Budapest department and running on a newer version of the engine.

“In Crysis Warhead, players will don the Nanosuit of Sergeant Sykes, also known as ‘Psycho’, one of the most memorable characters from Crysis. More brash and aggressive than his Delta Force squadmate Nomad, players will experience Psycho’s parallel story during the events of the original game, finding that life on the other side of the island is even more intense and explosive than they ever could have imagined. Luckily, Psycho’s Nanosuit is just as capable and he’s equipped with an even bigger arsenal of fully customizable weapons and new vehicles, giving players access to the tools they need to dominate any situation. Aside from this new, exciting single player campaign, Crysis Warhead will also feature new multiplayer content. Stay tuned for more details this summer. “

31. Radiant says:

I’d like to see more developers take this approach with there games.

When COD4 finished I’d have loved to have played more but with a different story.

Same with Halo 2 [but instead we got the overly written shit sandwich that was Halo 3].

If Crytek pull out more Crysis but with a different story, with corrections made from what went wrong on the first game [The end sections Superhuman Koreans] AND do it in a timely manner it should be fun.

More of the same but different.
    Like downloading extra levels for your favorite PSP puzzle games.

32. Radiant says: