Blizzard Opening Ceremony: Live Blogging

Wot no Lost Vikings

Okay, let’s give this a shot. Refresh for regular updates, folks.

10.49 – a lot of loud Lords of the Ringsy music and giant concept art. Now two very excited presenters are telling us to “make some noise.” We do so.

10.50 – The lady presenter’s mic breaks. She’s forced to share with the bloke presenter. People laugh. Not sure why.

10.51 – Blizzard’s EU president arrives, thanks us, keeps getting applauded. Note to crowd: stop applauding. Let the man speak.

10.54 – The invitational’s just been declared OPEN. Confusing, as I’ve been here three hours already.

10.55 – Blizz big names, including Mike Morheim, are introduced. Crowd experiences simultaneous orgasm. Even for the Vice-President of Global Finance.

10.57 – A load of pro-gamers are welcomed on stage. First up, Starcraft guys. I’ve not heard of any of them, but the crowd respond like they’re the Beckhams. WC3 champs follow. Next, the teams who’ll be competing in the World of Warcraft arena. Is this that paid championship with the cash prize? Guess so. Crowd continues to whoop. I’ve heard more applause in the last ten minutes than in the last ten years.

11.08 – Black presenter just makes a joke about how black people are responsible for all the things that go wrong in the world. My mind is breaking.

11.14 – Big server problems here. This may proved a failed exercise, sadly. Currently, Morheim’s on stage, showing us a video of the last Blizzard invitational.

11.18 – One more thing…

11.19 – Diablo III!

11.22 – A hellfirey cinematic of a ravaged, gothic world culminating in big D himself having a big old roar.

11.32 – RPS is apparently deaded. Sigh. My quick notes based on the in-game stuff so far:

wouldn’t mistake it for any other game
unbelievable amount of onscreen enemies
health orbs as well as potions
traps
darker, but still somewhat cartoonish
big focus on loot as decoration
quickbar for abilities
barbarian powerjumps across a broken crevasse
blimey- using scenery destruction to crush baddies
whirlwind barbarian spell is an impressive storm of destruction
friendlies in dungeon – story events
Deckard Cain returns

11.33 – A really colossal boss. Nothing looks especially novel but it unquestionably looks spectacular.

11.34 – New class: The Witch Doctor. Ancient tribal magic – control over disease, summon pets, control enemies’ minds.

11.35 – He’s got an ace voodoo mask, and is summoning a swarm of plague insects to kill bads and buff his pets.

11.36 – Though it’s 3D, there’s a real hand-painted feel to the scenery. It’s bridging that 2D/3D gap well.

11.38 – Haha – he can summon a literal wall of zombies.

11.40 – The bosses get even bigger. Rubble sprays everywhere as they walk. No-one’s ever gonna play Titan Quest again.

11.45 – Back to the prattling presenters. They’re making my teeth hurt. Anyway, that’s probably it from me for now, Diablo 3 then: yes.

1. cqdemal says:

Why is there nobody here?

2. Feet says:

Haha. I’m loving the derisive “Britishness”, man. Good work, keep it up.

3. Al3xand3r says:

Because they’re waiting for something that’s actually exciting and not boring like the show’s slow start.

4. Thrawny says:

Come on Blizzard announce World of Lost Vikings!

5. Jives says:

They are busy. searching the splash screen

FOR CLUES

6. -SnAjL- says:

Omg! i need to know if diablo 3 is coming before going to Roskilde Festival! That would totally rock my week :D

7. daniel says:

DIABLO III WAS ANNOUNCED.
    LOOK AT BLIZZARD.COM IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME

8. Tagert says:

It’s Diablo 3 people. :D
    link to us.media.blizzard.com

As well as the streaming showing a demo of it.

9. Jochen Scheisse says:

WTF! VIDEO STREAM PLZ!

10. Fashigady says:

We love you, Deckard Cain!

11. Acosta says:

Looks awesome!

12. I Am Thermite says:

The low-quality video stream on Blizzard’s site is already maxed out, and the high-quality lags… I just gave up trying to watch. sob ;_;

link to eu.blizzard.com, by the way. You need to download some weird software plugin, though. Froze up my firefox for a bit, too…

13. Jochen Scheisse says:

Clicking on the splash screen takes me nowhere! Where can I see that DIIIABLO trailer?

14. Turin Turambar says:

Congrats to Diablo fans, i will play it a bit, but it never clicked for me.

15. batak says:

Well the last couple of times this came up I said that it was definately Diablo 3 and last time, I even wrote about the Witchdoctor and that he’s focused on damage over time (disease). Which you more or less made fun of… so guess I was right.

16. Thrawny says:

Woo Diablo 3, the wife and i just whooped with glee.

17. Pete says:

18. Satsuz says:

Well this sucks. Where the fuck am I going to keep all of this happy?

Well, I guess I can put some of my angry out in the garage….

19. Trollin' says:

“While you’re there could you punch the annoying female presenter who keeps going on about “showing the love” in the face please. Hard. repeatedly.”

This. And tell her to quit being a douche and to let the man speak.

20. Noc says:

Goddamnit. I was HOPING this would be something mind-numbingly boring. So much for that.

21. Alarik says:

Your life ends here…

Time to uninstall all other games :-)

22. JohnG says:

Designed for co-op? Yes please.

23. nabeel says:

Thanks for those links.

nabeel

24. Zuffox says:

Who exactly of the RPS hivemind are Diablo fans? And who aren’t?

For I recall the bearded heretic, whose name I shan’t mention for it is naught but shame, who had never played StarCraft (blessed be its name), and though I do not hope it, this happenstance could be a fact for more members of RPS.

25. alphaxion says:

*finally* got back from the paris event… got my ticket signed by the diablo guys, who tell me that they have been working on diablo3 for a few years now – what we saw wasn’t a veritcle slice/tech demo.. there’s a whole lot more that has been done.
    Sadly, I only saw a glimpse of my old fav the necro in a burst of concept art. I want my controller of death!

We all knew it was gonna be diablo3 the moment we saw the books embossed with an image of diablo on the front being slipped into our goodie bags.

A load of people got rushed into the building and not allowed their goodie bag (gonna write up what was in there later) at about 9am CET as they were told “it’s gonna start soon”.. only to wait for 3 hours at the main stage.

The presenters… oh my the presenters were shite for MTV bods – the guy was entertaining and said a hell of a lot more than the woman did.. sadly the women was the english speaker and kept on making poor jokes that got plenty of groans from where we sat.

After the opening, it dawned on us that there appeared to be little to do inbetween the tournaments and panel talks and the queuing system would have any brit exasperated (not kidding, the wrath queue actually split into two at one point), hell even the dutch guys I was hanging around with were getting annoyed!

Still, what they did show was entertaining and well worth going… but as always, everyone just thursted for more.

Oh, and the frostmourne? apparently it was meant to be sitting at the frozen throne replica but the security staff freaked at the potential for someone to fall into it and hurt themselves.. so it remained encased in glass elsewhere :(

26. Seniath says:

Likewise, just got back. I mirror comments regarding the two MCs. The fake enthusiasm was just too grating to deal with.

@ alphaxion: I queued once for a go on WotLK, and after waiting an hour for a twenty minute slot, and then spending ten of those minutes looking at spells and abilities, I decided I wouldn’t bother again. Instead I used my free time queueing for SC2. I generally only had to wait around 10 minutes, which was much more agreeable.

27. alphaxion says:

aye.. the sc2 queue was very short.. quite surprised at that one :S

I had a play on that as zerg against the medium protoss and had my arse handed to me >.<

I regret not signing up for the dance contest after it turns out no-one chose the male undead – that poor guy who picked the male dwarf dance!

After the response the guy in the murloc costume got, I’m pretty sure that murlocs will be getting promoted to company icon… soooooo many cheers.