Telekinetic Eric

Am I doin it rite

Sometimes, I hate writing about flash/indie games based on a neat high concept mechanic. Every time I do, one of you pedantic monkeys promptly leaves a “what, no mention of [ancient Amiga game it’s like that I didn’t play because I didn’t ever own a bloody Amiga]?” comment and I feel small and stupid. Oh well. Go on, do your worst.

Telekinetic Eric
‘s a clever get-to-the-door-at-the-end puzzle-platformer, its twist being that emaciated Eric can freely move parts of the level around in order to construct an escape path. With his mind, natch.

Initially, it’s sedentary dragging around of girders to build a simple route, but soon enough you’re trying to rearrange parts of the room with your mouse even as you’re moving along other parts of it with the keyboard – for instance sending him skywards from a trampoline, then grabbing said trampoline and sticking it directly underneath him just before he begins his descent. Don’t place it in time and he’ll plummet to his death. Place it too soon and it might not give him the height he needs to reach the next level of floor, which wastes one of your limited tele-moves.

There’s shades of the Impossible Machine, Lemmings and Lost Vikings to it, and indeed of recent fare like Chronotron. I’m certainly getting a nagging sense of familiarity from it that I can’t quite place, but it’s a fun time nevertheless. The low-fi graphics charm and it’s suitably taxing of both logic and timing, which means you’re pretty damn satisfied with yourself when you complete a level.

I would advise, though, skipping the main Play option and going to practice mode, as the limited lives in the former quickly lead to high misery and make you replay from the very start once you’re out of Erics. You lose out on uploading your high score if you play in Practice Mode, but meh.

(Link spotted over on Blues)

1. MasterBoo says:

The URL doesn’t work O_o.

2. Bob Arctor says:

I hate how he moves.

3. Kieron Gillen says:

This reminds me of the Dragon demi-classic Captain’s Biff Conveyer Belt of Lamentation with a splash of the TurboFX obscurity The Scream of Orthix VII.

KG

4. cullnean says:

indeed

5. Al3xand3r says:

Mention 8bit Killer next! No new concepts, just plain ol fun.
    link to locomalito.com

Or Dirty Split:
    link to dreamagination.org

Or Brotherhood of Battle (multiplayer tbs):
    link to xgenstudios.com

Keep it up :)

6. davidAlpha says:

I basically had this on the C64.

7. Joe says:

You…you…you DIDN’T have an Amiga?

I’ll be honest Alec, a little part of my respect for you just want and committed suicide. You must have missed out on so much – my God, Hunter alone made the Amiga a must have!

*sob*

8. Michael says:

Joe, I never owned a Model T, a musket, or a stone axe. Would you please tell me how much I missed out on?

9. Al3xand3r says:

That’s a pretty absurd metaphor. We have things that do the same things those tools did but better now. In games however, while they do have the potential to do the same things better nowadays, they often don’t try to revive some worthy classics, not until something like this appears from a random indie or casual developer, which often doesn’t end with a worthy of the original game result.

10. PsyW says:

Who doesn’t own a stone axe, these days? Jesus…

11. wyrmsine says:

I can’t believe there’s no mention of Telekinetic Eric. It’s fondly remembered as a clever get-to-the-door-at-the-end puzzle-platformer at the twilight of the PC-as-game-machine era.

12. Cyperspawn says:

Yea I sometime ponders if we in this 3d age realy have move the gameplay that much from the Amiga days, some times it seems like the games havent movede at all, soon I guess the gonna make Cannon Fodder MMOPG…….

13. Phil says:

I’m with Joe, if didn’t own an Amiga in the 90’s you were clearly poor, and hence fit for pity and condescension at best, outright contempt and non-consensual organ harvesting at worse.

14. Yann Best says:

I had an Atari ST :(

Still, at least here having an ST was no barrier. Though Hunter was hardly the best game released on either system. Even with its exploding seagulls.

15. Kieron Gillen says:

There’s an alternative to being Poor, Phil. It’s that you were proper-rich and had a PC instead.

KG

16. Cargo Cult says:

ATARI ST 4 EVAR!!!1

… Ahem. If it wasn’t four hundred miles away, I would have booted it up so I could have posted this very comment from its sponge-tastic keyboard. ;-)

17. Phil says:

@KG – I viewed PC owners as nouveau riche, tolerated, though only ever offered the non-vintage port, store bought truffles and ugly third cousins for dynastic reconciliations.

@Yann Best – Some of you survived the pogrom?

Edit – Blast! Another one?

18. Joe says:

Alec had a PC instead?

…The respect is quietly restored.

Now, back to the sharks and exploding seagulls!

19. Sam says:

Without playing it, and playing firmly into Alec’s opening invitation:

That sounds an awful lot like Bill’s Tomato Game on the Amiga.

20. Tim James says:

Man, how about the indie scene taking a break from quirky platformers? Let me beat the crap out of something with my digital fists.

ZSX2 has awakened my need to punch and eat Asian food.

21. Al3xand3r says:

They don’t need a break from anything since they’re making pretty much anything. Just look around more. Larva Mortus is decent for just mindless action, though there’s no punching but there’s a sword… Think of it as Crimsonland with random levels and a plot used as an excuse to travel to different places and defeat different monsters. Good stuff all around.

22. Ted says:

Anyone who uses “natch” says to the world, “Look at me! I’ve [written a word]!”

23. dan^ says:

You’ve obviously never read Amiga Power.

24. Scandalon says:

Michael, you clearly have never breathed the same air as an Amiga. (Alas, I never owned one myself, but I was exposed to their wonder a few times.) Having an Amiga in the early 90’s was like having a Model T w/ a fuel-injected engine w/ dual-overhead cams, or a musket that functions like a semi-auto, or a stone axe that includes a little gnome that poops gold. Okay, so I’m hyperbolizing a bit, but really, Amigas were amazing.

25. El Stevo says:

I for one can’t stand “douche bag”.

26. spd from Russia says:

hey I really like that you post about cool indie games on RPS. even if they are the remakes of same old ideas

27. DSX says:

Admission.. I used to skip over most of the indy game posts except for peggle. But for about 2 weeks or so I’m using a pentium 3 laptop from the Clinton era while my game box is being rebuilt. Now I’m really liking all these browser platform games that run just fine on it, else there would be some serious addiction withdrawal symptoms. Pretty sure once TF2 and my MMO of choice is back online, I’ll go back to ignoring these posts again >.< but thanks for them (=

PS: Had a pc instead of Amiga too.. :( “seawolf SSN-21” blew my mind away circa 1995-ish

28. BJ Blazkowicz says:

What, no mention of Psychic Joe?

29. AbyssUK says:

Yeah screw the amiga I had a PC you poor bastards with an amiga..

30. cullnean says:

snes then a playstaion Tekken was my game of choice in the mid to late 90s, street fighter 2/mortal kombat 2 before that only really got in to pc gamming in 2003 really got going with the release of city of heroes and eve in 2004.