Boldly Going Where 1 Developer Has Gone Before

After a troubled few years in development at now-defunct studio Perpetual Entertainment (oh, the terrible irony of the name), Star Trek Online recently fell into the strong but tender (like a mother lioness, or a warrior vicar) hands of Cryptic Studios. Who promptly dazzled us with environment art. Sigh.

On Sunday though, we’ll get to see what the game’s like. It’s the official Star Trek Convention in Vegas at the weekend, which sounds a little like a lost chapter from Fear & Loathing but pertinently will also feature the first in-game footage of STO. Introduced by none other than Leonard “the cosmic ballet continues” Nimoy. Big leagues, baby.

Fortunately, us proles can watch the unveiling from afar, with a webcast due to appear here at 1.30pm PDT on the 10th August. Which is, I believe, 9.30pm in Her Majesty’s Royal Imperial Kindgom of England-land time.

1. Rath says:

I’m concerned that every time developers have introduced their own races and locations in Star Trek games, that’s the element that seems to fall flat whereas bits with established races succeed, and so far, what I’ve seen of this game doesn’t look like established Trek. Still, where I’d usually be sitting back with my arms folded waiting for it to crash and burn, today I’m going to adopt a cautiously optimistic attitude and hope for the best.

2. Cooper says:

It seems a shame, though, that the best hope for a game which will have a dedicated and large roleplaying (rather than just playing) community is going to be bloody star trek.

Given that the Star Trek RP communities out there are amazingly active, I imagine they’ll take the chance to move that to this game.
    (And kind of hope so – so as to prompt developers to take seriously the idea that there are people out there who want and mmorpg where the emphasis is on character playing and in-character interaction (I still mourn for what SeeD could have been) Problem is, I couldn’t give a flying monkey’s about RPing in the Star Trek universe.

Which would be about 5th pint time for those in the Socialist Republic of Scotland.

3. Jae Armstrong says:

At least it’s pretty enviroment art. For a second there I thought I was looking at Sacrifice 2.

4. dartt says:

We can’t stop here, this is bat’leth country.

5. Dr. Quincy says:

Giant mushrooms, staple of any self-respecting MMO.

6. MasterBoo says:

Can’t explain why, but when I saw the picture and the title before reading what this post is about, the thought that ran in my mind was: “A Sacrifice sequel?!”.

7. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Are we talking about Leonard “I am not Mr. Spock” Nimoy, or about Leonard “I am Mr. Spock” Nimoy? Not to be confused with Leonard “Bilbo Baggins” Nimoy, mind you.

8. Jochen Scheisse says:

Fear and Loathing without drugs is kind of like a rap video without curses. No offense to all the Common/Aesop Rock listeners.

9. Alex says:

Ahem.

The proper quote is “the cosmic ballet goes on.”

10. EyeMessiah says:

Yes, I can see a sac sequel in that screenshot.

Bring it! Bring it!

11. Lachlan says:

A Sacrifice sequel where Starfleet suddenly turn up halfway through would make for a brilliant game, yes.

12. Rath says:

Some more screens at:

link to trekmovie.com

Consisting of Borg cubes and Starfleet crew standing in odd firing poses. I’m not so optimistic now.

13. SpaceWarHasNeverBeenSoMuchFun says:

I realise this is an old and dead thread (That ‘Revisit an Old Story’ thing is brilliant) but I was inspired to comment on something Rath up there said:

“If done right, this could be hugely popular. If done badly, Legacy all over again.”

I just bought Legacy for the princely sum of £5, inspired as I was by the developers of ST Armada 1&2 being involved.

OH, the HORROR. Half game, half encylopedia (once properly modded with the ships they should have included in the retail box), it deftly avoids the best features of both. I feel bad for my poor, lost £5. :(