Deus Ex 3: First – er – Game Asset Images? Yes.

Yeah, but I'm still excited.

Robert Farr forwarded this to me, thinking it interesting, but not RPS worthy. He has fatally over-estimated our standards. Eidos Montreal’s Senior Character Artist gave a presentation at SIGGRAPH (No, me neither) which included two slides with Deus Ex 3 relevant details. A gun and a building. We can exclusively reveal that Deus Ex 3 will include guns and buildings. You heard it here first, unless you read it on the Eidos Forums. Then you heard it here second.

This reminds me of the time when I wrote a PC Gamer six page cover feature about Deus Ex: Invisible War, and the only game-assets we had to illustrate it was a render of a toilet.

1. Gap Gen says:

This reminds me of the time when I wrote a PC Gamer 6 page cover feature about Deus Ex: Invisible War, and the only game-assets we had to illustrate it was a render of a toilet.
    Insert scathing put-down here.

2. windlab says:

Untextured weapon renders! Not slipping to unreleased HL2 mod standards are you?

The price of being first (or second) is a high one methinks. :D

3. Ian says:

Wait, guns and buildings?

GOTY.

4. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Guns and buildings, but no toilets? This is a sham, and not worthy of the Deus Ex name.

5. Ian says:

Diogo, they’re clearly going to make the toilets the big reveal at next year’s E3.

6. KBKarma says:

Damn, now I have nothing clever to say. The Gillen stole my line.

Here’s the thing, though: will the gun shoot bullets, or… SOMETHING ELSE? Like lasers. Or greasels.

Actually, pretty sure it’ll shoot greasels. And bots. And people.

7. Gap Gen says:

They should hire the guy who did the alternative walkthrough (the one where you carry an unconscious Lebedev through half the game), just to make some crazy exploits happen.

8. Mooey Poo says:

Crikey, it’s looking pretty realistic, JC Denton looks a bit weedy though, and what’s the deal with that stupid mic?
    Not sure about all the Zbrush advertising as well, I think I preferred Queequeg’s coffee.

9. James T says:

Call me back when there are fat Chinese children who can’t act.

10. phil says:

That gun looks far to cartoony and out of touch with the industerial gothic sensibilities of the original game whilst there’s clearly 23% to much light – to the online petitions!

11. KBKarma says:

I hated that kid.

Luckily, in my latest run-through, the security bot in China went haywire for some reason, and gunned down every non-plot-specific Triad member in the area. First casualty: That Kid.

I actually started cheering.

12. suchchoices says:

re KBKarma:

`GREASY GREEEN GREASLES’

for anyone thinking of replaying the original game, i highly recommend taking a flick through the deus ex ‘anti walkthrough’ .

13. James T says:

I actually started cheering.

CHILD-MURDER SIMULATOR CORRUPTING YOUR KIDS? ON ‘TODAY TONIGHT’ AT 6, THE SHOCKING REPORT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO MISS.

14. Ian says:

@Gap Gen: I don’t suppose you’d know where to find that online? It sounds awesome.

15. teo says:

I remember that cover story
    Kinda like your (PCG’s) recent Operation Flashpoint 2 cover

What’s the point? (other than to sell issues?)
    Writing up the dev’s promises of how awesome the game is going to be is closer to PR than journalism

Do you still stand by your DX:IW score?

16. maxmcg says:

Oh god no not buildings.

Teepees or GTFO

17. Carlo Zottmann says:

OMG MAJOR SPOILER ALERT

What are you guys thinking? Geee.

18. teo says:

Gap Gen do you have a link to that walkthrough

19. Kieron Gillen says:

Teo: Haven’t read the Flashpoint feature you talk about. But you interview directors about what they want to do with a film before you actually see the film. Creative people talking is interesting. That’s why you do it. “We’re workingon Deus Ex 2 and this is what we’re trying to do and this is our philosophy, etc”.

And of course I “stand by the score”. I don’t like the review – too defensive by half – but I’m fine with the mark in context.

I occasionally think I could go back and have another look, but the whole aftermath of DX2 just left a nasty taste when even trying to think about the thing.

KG

20. JonFitt says:

So I played and loved Deus Ex, but avoided DX2:IW based on some bad reviews and system specs which I didn’t meet at the time.

My question is. Is it worth playing now? I played the original again about a year ago and it was still great (the dodgy death animations not withstanding).

So would I enjoy DX2:IW, or was it just a big disappointment made worse by today’s standards?

21. Ian says:

I’ve started the second again recently after failing to finish before. I haven’t reached the point where I gave up last time yet so we’ll see.

Give it a shot on two conditions:

a) Don’t expect a repeat in quality of Deus Ex.
    b) Try to remember that it doesn’t actually make the first one any worse for being an inferior game. :p

22. Paul Moloney says:

I finished the DE:IW a few months ago, on my second to play through it. It really isn’t a bad game and I enjoyed. Most people mention the game mechanics as the reason they dislike it compared to DE, but my problem on my first playthrough was that none of the options for the protagonist felt at all noble or meaningful; you just feel like a pawn at the mercy of Machiavellian groups; there no moral compass such as Paul Denton.

P.

23. JonFitt says:

But does IW provide more of the “Deus Ex experience” whatever that was?

That’s what I’m looking for. If it’s a game that shares a name, but is fundamentally not Deus Ex ++ then I have plenty of shooters to play.
    In fact “Stalker: Clear Skies” is an upcoming RPG/Inventory-based shooter.

24. sinister agent says:

Yeah, this is a good point. I never really felt like what I was doing had much meaning. On paper, you could level the same charge at the original as it’s just as linear, but it seemed like you had more significant choices in that, even if they ultimately had only a negligible effect on the game.

I admit I did like the ‘renegade’ option at the end, though, for those of us who were sick of being someone’s puppet. Pity it gave such a lousy conclusion.

Deus Ex 2 is by no means a bad game. It’s pretty disappointing if you expect it to be like the first, and it has some balancing issues (as far as I could tell, there was no point in ever using about half the weapons or mods), but it is worth a look, if only for curiosity’s sake.

25. glowing slab says:

Comparing game toilets is a…. well, what can I call it? I always have to inspect the quality of the in-game lavatory. What state the bog is in. How decrepit is this one going to be? Does it flush when you click? Does the water goe round? Oh, the game loos we have flushed.

26. Jewce says:

looks like the plasma gun out of Doom 3. Not impressed.

27. Hélder Pinto says:

I can’t put into words how much I am looking forward for this game!

Will this be the decent sequel for the best game ever made!?

28. Dunny says:

Well, the gun has a grenade-launcher attached to it, that’s a relief. Probably the earlier model of the old Assault Rifle from DX-1, but then again, I prefer this model over the one in DX-1 since… well this one look realistic and practical where as the old one is… well, small and un-rifle-like. The DX-1 assault rifle reminds me of a tripped up version of the MP5A5. Judging from the picture; that should be a SMG or Carbine of some kind since… well, if any of you try holding an actual rifle, you’d realize that this one will provide an uncomfortable experience.

Looks pretty futuristic-modern-ish so that should confirm the whole prequel of DX-1.