Pirates Of The Burning Sea: Two Free Weeks

The Good Ship RPS rather enjoyed its time with Pirates of The Burning Sea, despite the rather sparse world it delivered. The highlights included the superb pirate city of Tortuga and those splendid faction battles across the high seas. It’s about as close to Eve Online as an 18th-century pirate game has come, I’d say. Perhaps, if you’ve not already sailed in its waters, you’d like to make your mind up for yourself by embarking on a free two-week trial? Sounds like a jolly good idea, especially since the game has benefited from something like nine major updates since it set sail.

1. Koopa says:

Nice, will definately give this one a try. Not enough pirate games out there anyhows, must support!

2. Darth says:

Its good to see this title is finally getting some decent marketing. Its been hit hard by the release of more high profile RPGs and is in desperate need of new blood.

It has a fantastic ship-based PvP system, but unfortunately issues with ganking remain that the devs haven’t been able to address.

3. Saflo says:

On that note, I’ll mention that everyone should own a copy of Tropico 2: Pirate Cove.

4. Pemptus says:

And the Monkey Island series. Hasn’t aged a bit. Yarr.

5. Frans Coehoorn says:

Now you can download it and try it for free, it lost its piratey feel to it. What a shaaaame!

6. Meat Circus says:

The thing is, if you want to make EVE but not in space, the correct approach is to take what EVE did and add new stuff.

This appeared to favour a subtractive approach.

7. dan_ says:

Meh, I played this during the beta and thought it was pretty toilet.

The land-based combat/quests were pretty poor and the sea battles were almost exactly the same as (the free) Voyage Century Online (which itself suffered from terrible translations and the mind-numbing grinding of mining/tree cutting).

8. malkav11 says:

I really didn’t like it much in beta. I’m sure it has improved, but, well…WAR.

9. YaRisse says:

I really loved Burning Sea, at the end of the day there wasn’t enough content/decent pvp to keep my sub up, but thats one MMO I’ll never regret playing. Its abit of a shame it didn’t really take off, the chaps makeing it were a good bunch.

10. Feet says:

Thanks for the heads up.

11. Jake the Peg says:

Anyone know how much patching needs to be done? It’s been at it all day and the when the counter finally got down to 00:00:01 it clocked to 23:59:59. :|