Free for Fightdom! Combat Arms Download

The Marriage had turned bad, quick

It’s the weekend. While RPS have got suited up for a wedding, thus probably not really blogging very much, you may be at a loose end. What to do? Well, there’s millions of games we’ve blogged about. Play them. Alternatively, you could download Combat Arms, a free-to-play FPS which supports itself through micro-charges. Is it any good? I honestly dunno. I haven’t played it yet. But it is free and it is new and I am at a wedding.

Comments thread: TELL US YOUR MINDS.

1. RiptoR says:

Downloading as we speak, I was waiting for the international release. Will post my findings later on tonight.

2. Simon says:

I downloaded it before, and it would let me log in properly. I chronicled my attempts and the following post

3. Kareem says:

Actually, it’s funny, I’m doing exactly what you suggested in the post. I’ve been browsing through the RPS archives for the past few days and been downloading some of the demos and indies you guys posted about. Sword of the New World, Synaesthete, System Shock Portable, Hammerfall, IVAN, the Defcon demo, that TAGAP penguin game, and others.

Thanks for keeping me occupied on the weekend RPS!

4. Heliocentric says:

Gfw talked about this at length. Has some fundamental design flaws which don’t consider griefers. Not played it recently (i think it was beta when i played.) but apparently they added vehicles. Could be good, but certainly its no battlefield heroes as its still grasping the brass ring of realism.

5. RiptoR says:

Can’t seem to login atm. Anyone else having this problem?

6. Wildbluesun says:

Is anyone WE’VE heard of getting married?

(Cutting straight to the girl’s concern.)

7. TheLordHimself says:

I cannot play either. Starting the game just says connection lost. What is with the piked HL1 menu sound fx?

8. Derek K. says:

I tried it – I’m spoiled by TF2, I think – I want my team to be a very bright color, and their team to be a very distinguishable other color.

The controls were okay, but not great. Animations were lacking. Weapons didn’t seem significantly varied.

Overall, it’s no TF2. ;)

9. Koopa says:

I was planning on downloading, it’s free after all, but then I wondered: there are already some very good quality shooters to fulfill all my killing spree needs. This seems way too mediocre to be bothered with.

10. slang says:

As far as I know there are no European servers yet and everybody trying to log in from Europe gets an error message. Read it on the Nexon forums weeks ago after trying to log in many times.

11. Hexedian says:

I tried the game. Not bad, as far as shooter is concerned, but their hack-prevention system (Built in-house, as far as I can tell), does exactly nothing to deter wall hacking, speed hacking or aimbots. They work by removing hacks as they appear, rather than preventing them from appearing in the first place.

On the gameplay side, You have the typical team battles, free for all, capture the flag, bombing run, as well as a wide variety of guns, which everyone will ignore because you can count the actually useful weapons on a single hand (Two if you count grenades or secondary weapons). Exploiting pays a lot, and snipers are overpowered (Mostly because of the aforementioned exploits). All in all, not a game I could recommend to pay for, but if you want to try something for a week or two, go ahead and try something different.

12. Heliocentric says:

Eh. When hackers are genuinely able to speed hack? The code stopping hacks must be a mess. If player vector > max speed ? Kick player

13. Frans Coehoorn says:

Sorry, no shootin’ right now, it’s all WAR for me. Although the queue is in the way at the moment…

14. Steelfist says:

Well, so far I can’t get further than the splash screen (lost connection with server) and the forums don’t work. Thats free stuff for ya.

15. SwiftRanger says:

Same, I hope those other upcoming free shooters (BF: Heroes, Quake Live) get rid of such basic login problems.

16. slang says:

@Steelfist, SwiftRanger

Think I posted it already but anyway…
    If you’re from Europe you might be interested in the source of these “login problems”.

“Combat Arms Europe closed beta starting soon
    Nexon Europe today announced their plans for launching the free-to-play, online first person shooter Combat Arms Europe. Following the recent official launch in North America, the closed beta test of the European version is slated for late October this year. Combat Arms enlists players into various battlefields across the globe to face-off against other ambitious soldiers of fortune, delivering gamers a FPS with an extensive arsenal of weapons, no locked areas, and no monthly subscription fees. Players earn their keep through precise marksmanship, teamwork and stealth. Check the new screenshots from our gallery and the press release for more details.”

link to gamershell.com

17. teo says:

@Heliocentric speed hacks don’t work that way, but yeah, it’s still pretty sloppy

18. doolin says:

I played it for a nip. It is not bad. One thing that sucks is, if you buy an upgrade(with ingame-not for real money) it ‘expires’ after a set time. My scope expires in 24 hours for example. Dunno if that 24 hours of play time or real time…

19. windlab says:

Don’t waste your time, just play True Combat: Elite (and ignore the stupid name), it walks a fine line between fun and realism.

tcelite.net

20. Jon H says:

I played Combat Arms all weekend, it’s not a bad game and I actually had a lot of fun with it. But don’t expect it to replace CoD4 or CS.

@ doolin:

That’s real time mate. :)

21. Dave says:

Just for all of you who don’t know yet:

If you are in Europe you can not currently play this game :/

I had the connection lost problem when I downloaded and looked at forums to find its not gonna be European friendly until late October (apparently).

Kinda sucks tbh, would of been nice if somewhere on the site it said that Europeans wouldnt be able to play.

22. Simon says:

link to gamershell.com ak-47, with a silencer. and there’s still a muzzle flash. pure failure

23. EyeMessiah says:

I’m keeping myself pure for world of goo.

24. Eschatos says:

It’s pretty fun, but I hate that you can’t buy weapons permanently.

25. MindBrain says:

I played this game for a while and had a lot of fun, worked pretty good for me, cool graphics too. Also liked it because it seemed to have no hackers (when I was playing at least) I could tell this because I was kicking ass about everytime.

26. sysoperadmin says:

Combat arms very good game worth a check

-sysoperadmin
    link to sysoperator.blogspot.com

27. Aorawn says:

It’s decent. Could’ve used a little bit of lazy weapon to make movement feel a little more flowy-like. The engine feels very similar to the older Source engine… hi-rez textures, but not much in the way of shaders and other bloomy effects.

28. Heliocentric says:

BTW, Other full free ad supported games

Full Spectrum Warrior
    link to files.filefront.com

Area 51
    link to files.filefront.com

RF: Civilizations at War
    link to files.filefront.com

1 Good game, one Okay game, and one kinda meh game.

You pick which one is which.

29. steve says:

click…click….acount deleted

I think its time for rps to note when the stories are usa only.

30. slang says:

@Heliocentric
    I like all three of them. Thanks for the links.
    I must say I find it highly amusing that stuff like The Suffering or Area 51 is free and sponsored by the US Air Force. Thanks uncle Sam;-)

31. c0wb0ys7y13 says:

The game is total garbage. Not just because the micro pay system causes an inherently unbalanced game, but the game itself has a tick rate like an old clock.

Combat Arms take the lollercoster straight into the fail pale. I pay to not have to play that game. Somehow a free game just isn’t worth the price.

32. Aorawn says:

How does the micro-pay system break the game’s balance? If you want to buy better weapons and armor, you have to fight matches and earn them.

33. Scandalon says:

I tried it on a whim, waited about 5 minutes whilst their anti-hacking progress bar loaded, then it dumped me with a message saying I had a monitoring program (debugger?) running…Can’t think of what that would be, Either Symantec Endpoint Protection or Daemon Tools or just because I’ve run some sysinternals tools in the past… BALETED!

34. Dave says:

i cant figure out how to download this software were do i click to download it plz tell me

35. Dave says:

dude ur awesome thx

36. Dave says:

wait no i don’t want the game download i want cheat downloads

37. Dave says:

this is a cheat website right?

38. Klaus says:

Isn’t it an online game anyway? Cheating will probably get you banned if it is.

39. Carl says:

Great game!!! a lot better than CS and Cross fire.
    Oh and if ucheat then you can make another user if u get banned. I tryied but I didn t get banned.

40. Tom says:

What’s the web address for the European download, I have been on the websites but it doesn’t say download server or lobby, what shall I do?