PC On Your PSP?

My PS skills are unsurpassed.

You know the problem with various consoles? They’re not PCs. It’s a downfall that they can so rarely overcome. So how about turning your PSP into an extra PC monitor? Why? Don’t ask annoying questions – because you can!

QJ.net pick up on a project by Jochen Schleu, which allows a PSP to act as a second monitor, with an extended desktop. Best use I can think of: two PSPs as wing mirrors for your PC. Anyone got any better suggestions? Video of it in action below.

1. Jochen Scheisse says:

I guess it could be used for all kinds of video/audio work while on tour. I suppose the PSP doesn’t need power supply, just like your notebook.
    It could also make a very nice minimap, with some additional modding.

2. andy says:

interesting. if they figure out how to put an actual windows os on there i’d buy one in a heartbeat.

3. Jeremy says:

It’d be rather fun to play that 2D TF2 game yous guys had up a while back.

4. DigitalSignalX says:

Good idea of using it for a mini-map, or perhaps a persistent inventory screen Other then that.. the cost of a psp would be better spent on a real monitor.

5. Ian says:

You could mount it on the side of your monitor and make it a dedicated Itunes (or other) mini player monitor.

6. Finn says:

Extra points if you can name the song playing, and game it’s from.

7. Shadowmancer says:

I know its possible to play Crysis on the ps3 and also to install windows operating systems as well as mac for some reason.

8. Radiant says:

Absolutely pointless.

9. MarkN says:

Viewing what other people are using a PC to look at, remotely, and preferably without their knowledge? Can’t think of any use for that at all.

Oh – hang on…

10. rekki says:

it may be pointless but it sure is clever..
    might just do it myself with my psp its been sitting around for about a year now might as well get some use form it..

11. NuZZ says:

I would throw my irc prechan in the psp monitor :). Mmmmm.

12. K3ViN says:

You CAN put windows on a psp. It was one of the first hacks for the psp. Also for 99% of psp users this would be useless, however I would use it to monitor something thats running while i am at my desk (not my computer desk)

13. Mythrilfan says:

THREE mirrors.

14. Wedge says:

@Finn “You’re Not Here” from SH3

Also this would be cool as a second monitor extension, vertically it’d fit a media player perfectly, and be awesome if you could bind the PSP controls to control that. However all this video shows is a replicated monitor, which isn’t so useful.

15. pi8you says:

I’d totally use that for IM while watching full screen video/playing games(PS3/Wii route through the monitor).

16. x25killa says:

Main screen has game running at full screen, while on the PSP, the rockpapershotgun website (wait, there are other sites?)
    Pretty nifty if you already got a PSP but I wouldn’t justify it for buying PSP.
    Still a cool idea though.

17. Cigol says:

They were actually going to use the PSP officially for something like this in their PS3 F1 game. It was going to be implemented, post release, as a rearview mirror. Which is odd as they only have side mirrors in real life. I don’t think they ever did patch it in, but it would have been an interesting novelty.

18. Heliocentric says:

Get windows on my DS and then you’ll be talking. The interface is inherently suited to an os.

19. AbyssUK says:

You can get VNC for both the PC and the PSP.. i believe the PSP one even has usb keyboard support…. both devices have wifi so.. yeah easy.

20. AbyssUK says:

Above was meant to say for both the DS and PSP…. and just where has the edit fucntion gone… I miss it

21. Radiant says:

You still have to have your psp connected to your pc via a usb cable.
    It’s not wireless.
    For the price of a PSP [£129] you can get a crappy second monitor.
    I love my psp; you can pry ridgeracers from my cold dead fingers but there are countless other innovations on it [non hacked] that are miles better.

22. Radiant says:

Hey why can’t I edit my posts?
    I had a nice rant about the blind eye towards custom firmware/console piracy over pc piracy.

23. Cigol says:

Regarding the Edit function; the RPS overlords giveth, and taketh away.

24. Neuromante says:

Thanks for the link! I’ve been waiting for something like this since I got my PSP ^_^

25. mpk says:

Think of all the things you could do with a Gamecube and a GBA connected together* – now just transfer that to the PC/PSP combo.

*omgminigames

26. James Egan says:

Silent Hill 3.
    Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.
    “You’re Not Here”

27. Kommissar Nicko says:

Ah good. I thought SH3 meant Silent Hunter 3, and I was about to ask a few more questions in that regard.