Portal Prelude Mod Sort Of Released

They just want to be friends.

Portal Prelude has been released. The uber-mod that everyone seems jolly excited about is officially out tomorrow, but is already ready for download. Hurrah! Except it’s one of those 24 hour preview deals with FilePlanet. So if you want it today, you’ll have to crawl through their tunnel of blades, spikes and fire, ending in a half hour wait for the download to start. Man! Anyway, rise above it: good news. We’ll offer thoughts on it soon.

1. phuzz says:

Yukky FilePlanet, can’t be bothered to find my old login for there. This being a free mod, how would the RPS overlords react to mirror links?

2. ChaosSmurf says:

Don’t really see the problem with fileplanet myself, though queueing for DLs is always annoying. I guess my ungodly slow internet connection means I’m not as affected by speed limits though.

Still, this should be interesting. I only found out about it when I saw the original article Alec (I think) wrote in the “Revisit an old story” box.

3. Ignatius J. Smiley says:

Agh, edit function has gone so I can’t edit my post.

I should have asked if it was OK to leave the .torrent link, but I’m sure it is seeing as it’s a free mod. One of the RPS crew will have to edit it if not, sorrya about that.

4. Aron Durkin says:

I’ve played abotu half way through so far, its pretty awesome, ill play teh rest after work

5. Mogs says:

Hmm, presumably Fileplanet *paid* them for the tedious exclusivity…walking a bit of a legal tightrope there fellas, Gabe will not be pleased!

6. Flappybat says:

Fileplanet gives you like a thousand bucks for exclusive stuff like that.

7. Ignatius J. Smiley says:

Yes, you are right, sorry again for posting that link :(

Please don’t ban my ass.

John Walker says:

I’ve removed it just in case.

The Portal Prelude chaps state they’re not profiting from the FP deal. They say,

“PS: There’s a little misunderstanding regarding this 24h exclusivity. We’re not earning any money of this. It’s just one more step to world domination! =)”

I’ve no idea what that means.

9. Heliocentric says:

Exclusivity for heightened profile. Fuck file planet, i’ll get it tomorrow. In no hurry to see drooling fanboys sodomise portal with cake jokes and bad voice acting. /rage

10. Thiefsie says:

Yep count me out until decent servers or a torrent has it.

11. AbyssUK says:

This is surely what torrents were made for… fileplanet.. you suck really you do…

12. Nimic says:

I don’t know. Like I said in the first post on it, having Portal-like puzzles and Portal graphics doesn’t mean it’s Portal. I generally like mods, but most mods aren’t trying to BE it’s original game. I’ll probably try this out, but I reserve my glee.

13. MacBeth says:

If there’s no GlaDOS, it’s not Portal… System Shock prelude without Shodan, anyone?

14. Steve says:

The computer-generated voices on this are as bad as Microsoft Sam. The pronounciation of words/sentences is really off, and it’s incredibly annoying.

15. trioptimum says:

Damn, this is hard. I’m stuck on room 2.

16. danielcardigan says:

So the Portal Prelude backlash starts even before the “official” release? Gotta love the 21st century.

17. Tom says:

There’s always the torrent. Quick search on isohunt . com should do the trick.

18. Uglycat says:

Will it come out on Steam with their mod database thingy?

19. cyrenic says:

Aperture Science, what’s that? I work for World of Goo Corp. now.

20. Tom says:

Or use IWF’s link. :-/

21. Therlun says:

Whats the big deal?
    Its a 24 HOUR exclusive.
    I would be happy if a mod team would earn a little money by such a completely irrelevant thing as a 24 HOUR exclusivity.
    That they dont is too bad for them, but I still dont see why anyone should be annoyed by such a thing.

22. I Am Thermite says:

What’s terrible is that I went through the haaaalf hoooour queue to download this and then the download was 403 Forbidden’d. :/

23. SPEEDCORE says:

is it tomorrow already?

24. Therlun says:

Perhaps to soften up the download traffic.
    World of Goo initially had big problems with the preorder version for instance.

If only a third of the people that would download Portal Prelude tomorrow use Fileplanet it would be a huge reduction of the required traffic and management on the “real” release day.

25. Yoshi says:

“I wish they’d give a more specific answer as to why they’re funneling people toward fileplanet but oh well.”

What business is it of yours as to why they’re funneling people toward Fileplanet?

Irrational hatred of Fileplanet? Wait a day.

26. Rook says:

At a small guess, it’s probably some free advertising. Fileplanet has a lot of subscribers that might be going “oohh, exclusive. I’ll try that”.

Shame it’s shit.

27. Andy says:

I’m grabbing it from here – no wait

link to files.filefront.com

28. Therlun says:

@Andy, now that is a quick link.
    Only one download so far from filefront… :P

29. macc says:

it’s on usenet too.

30. Scott says:

31. Therlun says:

“Just tried it. No one (outside Valve) seems to be able to get a handle on level design for this game. If you know how to complete a puzzle, but it takes you 50 tries to hit it just right, that’s poor level design.”

Havent played Prelude yet but I had exactly that problem with the Flash Portal mappack.

32. Scott says:

I had a chuckle at the Portal Prelude “help” forum …

Member: I think it’s a failure on the makers part to leave so little margin for variables, especially that it’s the second level.

Administrator: Too bad for you then I think you should uninstall it, if you’re not skilled enough! (patronizing smilies omitted)

33. Nimic says:

Same her, Therlun. Well, not on most places, but there were a few places where I was stuck for quite a while. Not all of the flash maps translated very well to 3D, and some turned into a tedious reflexes meets blind luck meets quickload game.

34. lifeless says:

direct download link:
    link to dl.127001.org

35. Smurfy says:

Meh, I can wait.

John Walker says:

Can people PLEASE stop linking to torrents, or I will come around your house and set you on fire.

37. Noc says:

Matches available online at link to amazon.com !

38. Noc says:

That did not come out how I’d planned.

39. Smurfy says:

Thanks Noc I’ve ordered three!

40. Bema says:

Meh. I had to noclip a few times before finally giving up. The margin for error is tiny. Good effort, but no fun to play.

Also- the voices are horribly half way between sounding like GLADOS, and sounding normal. Really grates on your ears – especially when they ramble on for no reason. Frustrating.

41. Bema says:

For some reasons I can’t edit my post anymore (what happened to the 10min limit?).

Anyway – in addition: I also get the impression from reading their forums that I ducked out before the ‘good part’. If they’d made the learning curve a bit easier (yes we all know how to play Portal, but there’s a distinct difference in puzzle style between Valve and these guys) then prehaps I would have soldiered on. Ah well.

42. Nimic says:

Why aren’t people allowed to link to torrents? Is it because of this exclusivity deal the makers have with FilePlanet? In that case, you’d think linking to anything other than FilePlanet wouldn’t be allowed either.

43. Mman says:

“Just tried it. No one (outside Valve) seems to be able to get a handle on level design for this game.”

44. Scott says:

“Yet how many mods have you actually played? There are hundreds of Portal levels out there; it’s inevitable that some will appeal to your tastes.”

I’m sure there are a couple of custom levels out there that are utterly brilliant, but I can’t be bothered to wade through all the less than brilliant ones on my way to the promised land.

45. qrter says:

They’re already throwing a wobbly one on that site, over insulting e-mails, apparently. It’s that thing of Hurt Indie Syndrome again, it seems. ;)

I’m going to agree with the one called Nimic on this one – I don’t see why torrents aren’t allowed if linking to mirrors is. For a file round 700Mb I’d rather use torrential technology than serverlicious tech.

46. Monkfish says:

It really is a shame that they’ve thrown that wobbly, too. I certainly can understand their frustration, but that’s not the kind of PR you want on the front page just as the entire Portal-playing public descend upon your website.

Still, wobblies aside, the mod’s pretty good, if somewhat fiendish. I fear that some players will be put off by the difficulty, though – many of them will be expecting a similar difficulty curve as Valve’s original.

Many of the test chambers I’ve played so far required advanced skills (such as crouching in mid air), and one of the levels deliberately misleads the player by moving a platform that has nothing to do with the solution – a bit of a cheap shot.

Still, it’s a great effort for such a small team. I just hope their tetchiness toward criticism (however abusive) doesn’t harm their prospects.

47. tamale hot hot says:

I just want to post the url to link to gameupdates.org again, as the last poster got this removed. They got lots of nice torrents, Im sure they DO NOT HAVE A TORRENT OF PORTAL PRELUDE… but who knows…?

48. Tom says:

I’m quite enjoying it…

49. ItchyTasty says:

The difficulty varies wildly from room to room – it does give the impression that it is a random series of levels cobbled together but it seems fun enough to persevere.

50. qrter says:

Yikes. That put me off, instantly.