RPS Talk-o-Tron Talkback-o-Tron #2

I know I said we’d do these forum round-up posts weekly, but a) I’m lazy b) I’m really lazy and more importantly c) the forum isn’t yet the runaway success we’d hoped for. Chatter more, damn you.

Nonetheless, there’s a respectable chunk of interesting/silly talk going on. Here’s a few that have caught the RPS all-seeing eye lately:

• Objective, sober discussion aplenty over in the The Fallout 3 bitch-fest thread. The clue’s in the name. I’ve been tempted to jump in and whine about F3’s many mini-fails at the top of my lungs a few times, but I’ve elected to give it a couple of months then come back to the game calm and fresh.
  • With L4D imminent, our readers are organising themselves into gangs and groups ready to fend off – or strengthen – the zombie apocalypse. Find fellow survivors here.

• It’s not the winning, it’s the taking part. Sometimes it’s even the losing. Here’s a rumination about how failure can be fun.
  • Pimp My Game: a wish-list of bells and whistles every game would benefit from.
  • Mirror’s Edge – the TV show? Sorta.
  • A debate for the ages: KOTOR 1 vs 2. I’d say the second was definitely the more ambitious game, but my heavens, the brokeness.
  • An old chestnut returns for a new roasting: what makes an RPG? Something to do with grenades, innit?
  • In a moment of extreme exasperation at seeing the same old arguments for the squillion-and-seventh time a little while back, I started the DRM/piracy rant amnesty thread, a safehouse for discussion about The Most Important Issue In PC Gaming. Go, rage against the dying of the light there, so that the front-page isn’t forever dominated by it.
  • Don’t forget about the RPS World of Warcraft and WAR guilds, by the way.

And, obviously, go start a whole bunch of new, even more interesting topics. Something about pangolin, perhaps.

1. Ian says:

The problem is that we’re all so unbelievably fascinating that it’s hard to come up with NEW wondrous topics when we’ve yet to exhaust the extensive possibilities for debate of the original fabulous offerings.

The forum seems to go in fits and starts. Some days I come back to find a topic I’d replied to just the night before has plummeted down the forum due to activity in lots of threads, then other days it’s the same few hanging about.

I for one am still glad the Talk-O-Tron came into being. :)

2. Feet says:

If you’ll permit me, I have some (hopefully) constructive criticism. If the forum was faster I’d likely spend more time making and commenting in threads. Right now it’s a bit frustrating, time consuming and slow in general to browse around. (I’m not so bothered about the width anymore, it’s plenty wide enough now you’ve made those tweaks to it.)

If forum posts were intergrated with the comments thread on the front page that would encourage more people too.

Perhaps after the busy crimbo release schedule has died down you could look into these things? Get both those things right at some point and I’m sure you’ll build a sizable and dedicated community in no time. :)

3. Jim Rossignol says:

Development is a little hampered by our general ineptitude with web sciences, but those things are all on our list.

4. Pags says:

PhpBB forums and extensive use of the PHP get function. You’ll thank me later.

5. Zuffox says:

Seconding PHPBB. Don’t go Vbulletin.

Browsing your forum is about as comfortable as having an orgy in an airplane bathroom.

Not that I would know.

6. Alec Meer says:

Silence! The forum is perfect, apart from the dozens of things that are horribly wrong with it.

7. Pags says:

@Zuffox: DEFINITELY not Vbulletin; I’m convinced that might even be a step backward, which is certainly saying something.

But seriously, PhpBB forums aren’t just more user-friendly, it has an excellent, intuitive admin panel which would make your (RPS staff’s) lives a whole lot easier.

8. Pace says:

the forum isn’t yet the runaway success we’d hoped for. Chatter more, damn you.

I think the problem may be that the name ‘talk-o-tron’ makes the forum sound like it could be a decepticon, and thus at any moment might transform into a giant gun and kill us all. Well, it’s one theory at least.

9. Pace says:

Whoa, add blockquote to the list of things that’s behaving strangely.

10. Ian says:

@ Pace: I’m sure I’m not the only one who would frequent the forum more if there was a chance it might turn out to be a giant, transforming robot.

11. Bobsy says:

I just have allergic reactions to any UBB forum system. Real snobs use Delphi-style.

12. Katsumoto says:

I got attacked by angry internet men after one of my first brief and very innocent sounding posts (or so I thought) on the forum so got scared off. Nothing can be done about the AIMs alas, they patrol the internet in hordes, I just hoped I might find solace from them on that forum.

They were probably a very rare minority, if you made the forum a bit more easy to navigate and pleasing to the eyes i’d prob come back in and post more.

13. Fede says:

If you go the phpBB way please make it so bots cannot spam. The ToME forums have more or less been killed completely by that.

As for the discussions, we’ll start more soon, don’t worry.

14. Ian says:

@ Katsumoto: I think I remember the thread you’re talking about that got somewhat heated at one point because I believe I was involved in there (not as the AIM if I remember correctly… I certainly hope not!) I don’t remember which thread it was I thought by the end everybody made up and it became sort of amicable again.

15. TheDeadlyShoe says:

Do a forum in silverlight! All the other forums will laugh at you, but you’ll show them….you’ll show them all!

16. AksumkA says:

If you guys used better software for the forums, then maybe I’d be more inclinded to partake in some insiteful discussions.

Firefox right click is screwing up so those spelling errors shall remain.

If you guys went with SMF for the software, I’d be happy to help out with what knowledge I have on it.

17. Katsumoto says:

@ Ian – probably :) I’m a big coward so wimped out and didn’t come back.

I will be a MAN and come back for some more fun-packed pc gaming discussion if everyone promises to play nice ;)

18. marxeil says:

RPS has a forum?

19. Zuffox says:

Surely a code monkey can be set do do the job. And by set to do the job I mean abusing his/her RPS fanboyism and having the person do it for free.

20. Calabi says:

Oh dear, Alec you opened the can of worms, and now they’re all over the floor, and their eating shoes.

It does annoy me that their isnt a button for todays posts. A forum without that, is archaic, stone age even.

21. jonfitt says:

Feet mentioned my thoughts on the forum. It would be grand if each Blog post generated a new forum thread so that the comments on the main page were also forum posts.
    Sort of similar to the way ARS has it (but less ugly and with the option of just using comments).

22. Kieron Gillen says:

Jonfitt/Feet: Yeah, that’s absolutely the ideal of what we’d want for RPS. Integrating the commments systems.

KG

23. Larington says:

GUComics, a site I visit very rarely now because I grew tired of its MMO focus (Particularly on MMOs I don’t and won’t play) runs on a system of posting content with a link to a forum thread, but I suspect its done manually which only really works if its a once a day rather than several times a day kind of thing.

24. Zuffox says:

Installing the comments system Disqus (which I’ve mentioned countless of times :P) also displays blog post comments as forum threads on a forum page. I believe it’s also possible to make groups/categories to make it look more like a regular forum. If need be, one or several users can be chosen to assign the posts to their respective categories – I’ve no experience with this part, as I only use it for the commenting.

It’s not perfect, but it’s better than the forum in a lot of regards. And it could also just be added to replace the current commenting system, which – if you ask me – if vastly inferiour in terms of commenting tools. As an aside, comments can be rated or flagged for moderation, where the former hides the stupid posts and people automatically.

Consider contacting one of the guys behind the system, who’s always eager to help (semi-)big sites out: daniel@disqus.com.

25. Zuffox says:

Well, they laboriously help everybody out at their own forum, but I don’t think they’d mind the personal correspondence with internet heroes like RPS. They’ve done it before, so if they turn you down, consider it anglofobia.

26. Kadayi says:

@Katsumoto

Come back. I’m not all bad ;)

Incidently nice of the RPS guys to pimp the forums, but it would be even nicer to see you guys chime in occasionally on the threads as well :)

27. Muzman says:

What’s the matter with VB? Most of the places I hang out use it and it’s fast and a breeze. Is there some back end biz that makes it tough?
    PHPBB looks like it might be made to slot into the RPS front end a bit easier, at least style wise, but maybe there’s no way that’s going to work. (I still don’t like the way most PHPBBs forums generally look, a squillion buttons and icons and avatars and frippery. It’s this facebook generation I tell ya).
    Anyway it’s definately the speed and convenience of commenting over using the forum that I just can’ quit, just to add to that consensus.

28. malkav11 says:

I just don’t really have time to add a third potentially active forum to my regular circulation – Quarter to Three and my other main forum (non-gaming related) keep me busy enough most days. Too busy, really.

29. Ian says: