Left 4 Dead Gold & Pre-Loadable

He looks a lot like a guy I used to know called Graham - just so you know.

Left 4 Dead has gone gold. Hurrah! A short story, slightly lengthened by letting you know that those who have pre-ordered the game via Steam will be able to begin pre-loading it now, so it’ll be all but ready to go on the 18th November, from 8.01 am GMT (12.01 am EST).

1. subedii says:

I was actually very surprised when the L4D demo released on time. Usually “Valve Time” means getting it at 3 AM the following day. Let’s hope they get the game out just as promptly.

I have already sunk FAR too much time into the demo as it is over this time, which is pretty impressive for a 1.5 level demo. I can’t wait for the full thing on Tuesday. Well done to Valve and Turtle Rock, this really is an excellent game.

2. Nimic says:

This is perfect! I have a huge exam on the 17th, and the morning next day, L4D is out!

not so perfect, is the fact that FM09 was just released.

3. Gorgeras says:

I’ve heard a rumour that the demo maps are not even the full maps, but short versions of the release ones. If it’s true, then they are not typical of the 20 maps that will be available on the 18th.

I hope so because with the right group, the demo maps even on expert are too easy when you move through as fast as you can. Moving to the next saferoom quick gives a huge advantage whilst waiting around makes it impossible.

4. Mike says:

The second map is, indeed, not as big as it’ll be in the full version. But bear in mind that the demo is ‘easy’ on Expert, but there are still another three stages left. And a showdown with two tanks.

5. subedii says:

I don’t know about the first map, but the second map is cut in half, the saferoom is way earlier than it would be. You can see this by no-clipping and checking out the rest of the level.

As for the complaints of it being too easy, the game is supposed to ramp up in difficulty as it progresses. What we’ve seen are parts of the two easiest levels of a four to five level campaign. Expect things to get worse.

6. Vollgassen says:

After preloading Portal it was released at 12am pacific time exactly. I remember waiting up for it and playing through at the same time with a few friends… now I will get to wait up for L4D and play at the same time with a few friends TOGETHER!

7. hydra9 says:

@subedii:
    Ohhh, the second level is cut in half? Interesting… And that makes things a lot tougher, immediately.

Just completed my first playthrough on ‘Expert,’ after a lot of dying. As one of the group members pointed out, we only made it (‘we’ meaning 2 people alive, with 6 points of health between us) because we didn’t encounter a tank.

8. Pags says:

Bought through Amazon instead because it cost me a whole lot cheaper; means I won’t get to experience the joy of preloading or even playing for a few days after release, but on the plus side, I’m £10 better off than I would be. Which, these days, would probably be enough for a really good sandwich.

9. hydra9 says:

I also saved that £10 by pre-ordering off Amazon. But now I’m wondering:
    A week of jealousy and crying > saving £10?

10. Pags says:

I decided I’d use that time to do something resourceful. Like get a job. Or just finish Grim Fandango again. Whichever happens first.

11. SlappyBag says:

I see they added an extra min to make up for Valve Time.

12. A-Scale says:

But bear in mind that the demo is ‘easy’ on Expert

Oh shut up you twat

13. Tom says:

I downloaded the demo today, started it up and immediately got frustrated due to the german voice over of the intro. (yep, I live in Germany)
    I was half expecting no blood, or maybe teddy bears instead of guts and gore, so I was surprised that there was at least some of the red pixel-liquid to go round, but I still suspect the game to be censored.
    So please tell me, can you shoot of limbs, or at least heads, do the ‘dead’-undead also immediately disapear when killed? Or is the game just not as violent as it should be (being a zombie shooter and all…) ?!

14. RichPowers says:

Great thing about Valve games: wait for a sale at retail or Amazon and then activate via Steam. Same convenience, lower price.

L4D is alright, but I can’t bring myself to pay $50 for it. Maybe if I had RL friends to coop with.

I downloaded the German version of “Meet the Soldier.” The black liquid and cogs that substituted for blood and bone would’ve been somewhat amusing if it wasn’t forced by the government.

15. Saul says:

@Tom: Yeah, in the regular version you can blow off arms, legs and heads, blood splatters the walls and even the player’s screen. It’s gory alright.

@A-Scale: Stop trolling. Mike is making a good point that a lot of people seem to have missed. ie. Just because some people find the demo easy to get through, doesn’t mean the full-length game will be as straight-forward. I don’t see how that makes him a ‘twat’, but your comment is sure making you look like one right now…

16. EvAde says:

So does anyone have any idea if the demo will count against the full game download at all?

17. Tworak says:

This or Wotlk? This or Wotlk… BOTH! \o/

18. IdleHands says:

Mike; Easy on Expert?! I feel fear of your gaming skills if you find expert mode easy, or jealousy for finding a good 4 man team.

Might need to take tuesday off to fully enjoy this game, and maybe wednesday, possibly thursday, friday too. At least it’s being released at 8am, rather than other titles that were released 5pm.

19. Nick says:

Expert in the demo isn’t too tough unless you encounter a tank, then it becomes nearly impossible.

20. Shadowmancer says:

According to Valve and the official Left 4 Dead group the release time is 8.01pm not AM you are off by 12 hours guys as 8pm (our time) is 12am (Valve time).

21. Saul says:

@EvAde: The demo will more than likely count for a reasonable hunk of the final product, just as the demo itself made use of source engine files from HL2. Valve are big into the file-sharing (ha!) these days.

22. IdleHands says:

Shadowmancer; According to steam it’s unlocked at 8am, doing the math from what’s up there (though could be wrong, seeing as prices are still in dollars they aren’t considering countries outside the US).

23. Gaph says:

And a showdown with two tanks.

Really? Sounds like fun but I haven’t seen or heard of anything like that. Well, it’s not like one Tank is too much to handle…

24. Thiefsie says:

So… do the demo and this preload share files at all? Out in the arse end of the world Australia where we’re the few living beings left to have download limits, the size of downloading is an issue!

25. Corbeaubm says:

Expert in the demo is a matter of not panicking and shooting up your teammates. Even a tank is manageable if you can avoid making foolish mistakes. Though it is really, really, really easy to make such mistakes. :)

26. john t says:

I am working on a 2 minute spiel when starting up games with strangers on expert.

“Okay, move quickly, — don’t split up, don’t stay in one spot, and don’t go back for anything except other players. If you have a shotgun you’re going first or turn around and cover the rear. If you’re standing up front, duck down. and don’t startle the fucking witch. Now… let’s kill zombies.”

Even on expert the game is actually kind of easy as long as everyone keeps moving. You have to get over the video gamer impulse to collect every fucking thing on the level. Just grab and go.

Nothing ends more games then “I’m just going to go look for a molotov”

27. Tei says:

Mistakes in a Zombie apocalypse?.. now way!

28. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

Those who pre-order the game via Steam save 10% off the regular price and may pre-load the game so they are able to play at 12:01 am EST on November 18, 2008 when the game is made available.

Per link to store.steampowered.com

29. Shadowmancer says:

@ IdleHands
    Wrong the official left 4 dead (developers) group on the steam community has 8pm (gmt) and they were right for the demo, so we are all out by 12 hours here at rps.

30. Skurmedel says:

Instant preorder.

31. Digit says:

Is this hitting retail too? If so I’m quite amazed by the turn-around time, since this really only leaves 2 working days for mastering/shipping?! :o

32. ChaosSmurf says:

I expect the way the game will be played is everyone and their 3 friends will play it through on Advanced (maybe normal) once or twice then we’ll all move on to Expert or Versus mode until our dying days.

33. Dinger says:

Tom — you might be able to fix the language by switching your Steam language to something other than English, than switching it back to English. It worked for me. (Unless you like the German voice acting).

34. Digit says:

Ok I’ve read up some more and the game hits stores on 20th November, which seems pretty fast, but more reasonable without super-powers. ;)

35. Tainted says:

Play.com have the full game for £22.99. Really good pre-order price compared to Steam’s £36 or whatever it is.

Gotta wait an extra couple of days but it’s worth it for £13 (or two games from GOG!)

36. LactoseTheIntolerant says:

Bugger saving money, I’ve got my game pre-ordered and pre-loaded. I know what I’ll be doing for most of next week.

37. Paul Moloney says:

I’m happy enough to stick with the play.com pre-order; I really want to finish Far Cry 2 before I get sucked into a zombie armagheddon. Plus my copy of FO3 got lost in the post. :(

P.

38. Frans Coehoorn says:

I STILL LOVE THIS GAME!

39. manintheshack says:

Could we hear a word from RPS on the difficulty debate?
    Did you end up in tears after a playthrough on expert? Or did you head to the nearest internet forum to make people feel inferior to you?

40. Tei says:

Notice: Gameplay dificulty online can varie.

Varie because different spawn of special zombies.
    Varie because different teammates.
    Varie because bad/good timming.

etc.

41. Alec Meer says:

We, er, weren’t very good at expert. That said, bear in mind the demo only covers the first two stages of a campaign. You’ve not seen any of the climactic stand-offs yet, which are a challenge way beyond the stuff in the demo. I suspect the uber-elite will easily conquer expert in due course, but it’ll continue providing a beefy challenge for us norms.

42. Ceremony says:

I just checked my steam page, apparently I’ve played the demo for 12 hours.

43. mrrobsa says:

I think expert is pitched just right, but my housemates think it is too easy. Suffice to say we have played through the demo for over two hours and only got to the end once. =S
    Oh and if you see an expert Tank, run! Run and Shoot!

44. Kieron Gillen says:

Yeah – people who are being all macho about expert really should wait until they play a conclusion. We battled through, as Alec said, but things really could fall apart near the end. Especially on Farmhouse, which we couldn’t beat without turning the difficulty down.

KG

45. manintheshack says:

That’s all good then. I’m just wondering what difficulty to play through the full game for the first time for a perfect enjoyment/challenge ratio. Judging by the demo (which I’ve racked up a stupidly huge 24 hours of play on (Double brackets: That’s more than I’ve spent on Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 put together), I can make it un-killed through easy, normal and hard difficulties, but expert is only finishable 1 in 5 tries I’d say…

46. Jim Rossignol says:

People are judging the difficulty based on having played the first part of what is arguably the easiest campaign. That alone should suggest it gets a little harder.

47. Dude says:

And there is still a campaign we don’t know much about… Unless someone got some preview of Death toll that I missed?

48. Dude says:

Well, seems my wish have been answer, there is a video of it at left4dead411

(no edit button….)

49. Guido says:

I have to take a free day on the 18th.

50. man alive says:

It is variable, first run through on expert singleplayer was easy, can’t beat it again now.