Left 4 Dustbowl

We had said, amongst ourselves, that we probably had enough Left 4 Dead coverage today already. This one’s just far too epic not to report, though. Via Castle Crecente, it’s Left 4 Dead played happily in Team Fortress 2 maps:

Man! Fast work, modders. There’s safe rooms and everything. It also supports Hl2 maps, apparently – there’s a guide on how to do it yourself here. So, within less than a day, there being only four official L4D campaigns has stopped being a problem. Happy Zombieday!

1. Al3xand3r says:

Is it legal to distribute official content like that? I’d think Valve don’t allow this, considering this can benefit Left 4 Dead users even if they do not have Team Fortress 2. What gives?

2. pepper says:

Its not legal if you dont own TF2, but i can imagine creating automated batch programs that copy all the content for you and add the necessary entinity work.

3. Al3xand3r says:

I’m aware of possible work arounds modders could use to enable the legal creation and distribution of such projects, I was just commenting on the fact that youtube video’s description has a link to actually download this modified Valve map (I think, it was a rar, I didn’t get it).

4. dmauro says:

Ravenholm could be good, but the tight level design in L4D is integral, so this seems more like a backup plan for a few weeks down the road when you might start to get bored of the basic maps.

5. cyrenic says:

Am I the only one not worried about enough content in L4D? I’m assuming I’ll get plenty of play out of it after sinking 10 hours into the tiny demo.

6. Grandstone says:

I’m with cyrenic, and that wasn’t even half a campaign. I still want to a wait a few paychecks (or maybe, if my willpower is strong, until Christmas) before I actually get the thing, but I felt like I could get a ton of mileage out of that level-and-a-half. Giving me 18.5 more maps seems almost too generous.

7. Aftershock says:

I’m with the two previous commenters.
    Lack of content? Bah. I spent 16 hours on the demo in 3.5 days.

Still… L4D surf, anyone?

8. Gotem says:

they should have put up a sentry there

9. Magic Toast says:

L4D + TF2 = Epic Win :-D

10. solomun says:

Hope it’s not long till we can play L4D with the TF2 characters as well. Have to rebalance it somewhat, obviously.

11. Chris R says:

I can’t wait to see the other user generated maps that will start popping up over the next month. Some will be crap, and some will be amazing, and this is why I love PC gaming.

I almost feel sorry for our fellow Xbox gamers. Almost. ;)

12. fulis says:

this game isn’t nearly as fun as the press made it out to be
    I need to be able to play with people from my own country

13. RichPowers says:

That zombie’s a spy!

Need a zombie here!

Smoker sappin mah sentry!

Ka-Boomer!

Okay, I’ll stop.

14. shon says:

I look forward to the day I can get Ubered when a Tank attacks.

What impressed me about the video was when the zombies started climbing ledges. That was awesome.

15. Chris R says:

Do you not really enjoy FPS games Fulis? If your type of game is more an RTS (RA3, SC2, Sup Com, etc) or a game like Civ4, or an RPG… and not so much a twitch-skill game like an FPS, then L4D is not for you.

For me, FPS has a very near and dear place to my heart. L4D is amazing. On expert diff my buddies and I are fighting tooth and nail against the zombie hordes to make any kind of advancement, and it is very satisfying. Most fun I’ve had online since TF2 launched last year.

16. Fumarole says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – two great tastes that taste great together.

17. billyboob says:

@fulis… that’s too bad. can’t say i’ve had the same issues though. i get to play with people a few clicks from me every time… with the occasional fellow from singapore :) Hello Melbournians!

18. malkav11 says:

My concern (from the demo) was not about content. Frankly, horde shooters like this don’t need any sort of map at all, so the fact that there are 20 maps in the game and they’re gorgeous and full of detail and creepiness is a bonus.

My concern is that the gameplay seemed so shallow I couldn’t imagine it lasting very long even with new content.

19. frymaster says:

“also, the matchmaking is stupid as hell because trying to communicate with voice chat with people from random countries doesn’t work”

It’s not meant to match you with other people, it’s meant to match you and your mates with a server. Play the game with some mates, it’s tons better

20. D says:

Dude it is totally meant to match you up with other people. Thats what online matchmaking means. After that step, yes, there is also dedicated server searching.

If you’re playing with steam friends, you’re not using the online matchmaking. And it does indeed (sometimes) suck.

21. Grandstone says:

It might be that I’m playing in the United States, which, for all I know, might make a difference, but I’ve never had to play with people who speak a different language from mine. Maybe it’s more of a problem in places with greater lingual diversity. In any case, there probably should be a way to set your preferred language so that this communication-heavy game doesn’t get ruined.

22. Erlam says:

What we need now is L4D playable as the TF2 classes.

I beat Quake 1 using a QTF Pyro, soldier, spy (hilarious, I assure you) and sniper.

23. hydra9 says:

Re: Matchmaking system.
    You can enter a console command (can’t remember it – haven’t tried it) which enables a server browser, as seen in other Valve titles. I don’t know why it’s relegated to a console command but it’s there and it works, apparently.

And I’d like to say this in defense of folks from other countries and ‘random’ people:
    I’ve been pleasantly surprised by my fellow humans, of all nationalities, while playing this game. I’ve played some amazing matches with all kinds of people. Most of the time, I’m not even aware of their location. I can honestly say that 80-90% of them have been intelligent, good players. I’ve met no griefers (just a few Rambos and idiots). Usually, after a particularly good game, I’ll add a couple of people as friends and might play with them on another day. Plus everyone seems to have a decent command of English (while my command of foreign languages is lazily nonexistent). Random folks add spice to the mix and I like ’em. So far.

24. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

@Erlam: Ye gods I’ve never agreed with you more.

Would probably be wonky as all hell to actually play, but man that’d be something to see.

25. john t says:

What, we’ve gone this far without someone suggesting a Portal/L4D crossover‽

26. Tei says:

In the old Quake1 BSP format, the light entities where not removed. So re-lighting a map was easy, you just run the tool again with different parameters (light.exe?). I think Valve remove the lights on his BSP format, or It will be really easy to re-light all maps. It seems theres another problem, because theres a new VBSP version for L4D, and not all tools work for it (no the decompilers…).
    But I guest Valve will distribute tools/docs, so will be feasible to make a tool to “adapt” automatically a level for l4d.

Is it legal to distribute official content like that?
    I don’t know now, but most mods used to distribute lots of files from the game is mod from. After all.. a mod is derived content ( mod = modification, modification of that? the original content).

I even remenber that some counter-strike versions got distribute with lots of crud, unused stuff to make the filesize big (or that is a urban leyend?).

Conclusion:
    Modding is gray area, so If a dev let you mod his game, run for it, and ignore this issues.

27. Trezoristo says:

Could be nice to walk through episode 2 in ‘Left4Dead’ mode. The first part of the game under constant attack of antlios, the second part it’s zombies and combine.

28. Bobsy says:

I like the idea of the Heavy laughing his tiny face off while mowing down hordes of zombs.

29. fulis says:

I don’t dislike the game but whenever the press talked about it it was like it was twice as good as coke or something. I mean, this game got so much love from the press

I think it’s fun but I thought I’d have more fun. You know, it’s kind of repetitive. The monsters don’t spawn in the same place each time but the differences between different playthroughs don’t matter much (I think).

Yes you can access a server browser with a console command but that doesn’t help. In for example CS I can find a swedish server and there will be swedes in it. In this there will be random people in the servers. I can’t even see my ping ingame! I haven’t gotten my friends to get this either which of course makes it less fun but you can’t invalidate anyone’s experience.

It’s like, you pushed it back again and again and again for.. this?

30. Ginger Yellow says:

“Its not legal if you dont own TF2”

I can’t imagine more than about 5% of L4D players don’t have TF2 as well, at least on PC.

31. El_MUERkO says:

It’s a good start that’ll hopefully lead to lots of user made maps!

But the quality of the 4 chapters is undeniable and I’m hoping Valve gets the DLC bug and we get a steady stream of content for L4D.

Four new chapters a year, once every three months sounds about right :D

32. velt88 says:

I have enough respect for valve, to assume they won’t give two flying scrotum follicles about the fact that the mod contains maps from one of their other games.

You’ll be playing a game you paid for. It’s not like you can play TF2 through left for dead, so I don’t see any reason they would get hoity toity about it.