Codename Panzers – Cold War

One of the titles mentioned at yesterday’s Atari Live event in London was Codename Panzers – Cold War, which is due next February. The concept for this latest instance of the tricky tank game that war continues after 1949, with NATO and the Soviet army doing fighty over the ruins of Europe across the following “cold war” years. It moves forward across the intervening decades, covering the period of general hostility between communists and capitalists, and the battles that might have happened were the big blocs to make war. This apparently includes “the pinnacle of Cold War era conventional warfare including realistic battles between heavy tanks like the American M103 and the Russian T-10.”

The following trailers, narrated by associate producer Raphael Boyon, doesn’t give us quite enough close up action to see what’s going on, but rest assured it’s some hardcore RTS action. Oh baby.

1. Hmm-hmm. says:

I detect some CoH influences. Also, I think it’s a bit silly how he goes on about the graphics and physics when, it being an rts (or really just a game), it’s about the gameplay first and foremost.

Eight ball prediction: Outcome not favourable.

2. Duke Goosington IV says:

is that using the company of heroes interface and engine? it’s the first I’ve heard of it, but I’m interested. There’s not enough use of these alt-history settings in RTS games. The first video looked like it didn’t have nearly enough of CoH about it, even though the second did make a point of showing that ‘good things’ like intelligent use of cover were implemented. any word on why some infantry units were lobbing…. flying giant stars at their enemies in the second video? Were they ninja? I can’t believe that, as I could see them. Speaking of RTS games, any chance of a RA3 verdict and news on a certain other alternate history cold war RTS that may or may not feature ekranoplans and nukes and assaulting soviets?

3. Subject 706 says:

Aha! I thought this game was lost in limbo when 10tacle folded. Good to hear that it isn’t so.

4. C. T. W. says:

Guys, are they serious? The interface indeed looks like a copy of Company of Heroes. The Mini-Map, the Tactical Map, the marker lines around selected units… but that’s okay. Company of Heroes is THE best RTS game out there in my opinion. If God Himself was playing RTS games (and I’m sure he does from time to time), He would play CoH, and CoH only.

5. cHeal says:

Was “Cold War” not a hint then no?

6. Fumarole says:

More games need to implement second monitor usage. Looking good so far.

7. EmreD says:

The game will be a total failure. Do we really need a bad cloned CoH? CoH was perfect in most aspects but this game is not worth of buying, either wasting time with it.

8. Hoernchen says:

10tacle (publisher) and stormregion (developer) decided to go defunct due to something experts called ‘kreative bilanzierung’, so there was no one to publish it ’til atari decided to pick it up.

9. Pod says:

Remember when red alert came out and then there were millions of shitty clone games, like “7th legion” and so on? Well this is the same but they copy CoH and WIC.

10. Heliocentric says:

I’d give special kisses to anyone who improves on coh. That game rocks my world. I’m not asking that they best it as such. Just best a factor of coh. For example coh has a pretty bunk setup for planes and boats, both only ever represented as off map powers. Eh get me sum demo!

11. BooleanBob says:

Never mind any of that; can we all agree that ‘Panzers’ is the worst codename for a game about tanks, ever?

12. theleif says:

The interface looks like a total rip-off from Panzers: Phase 1 and 2.
    And i can’t believe that no one has commented on the fact that you can play missions in co-op! I started to drool.
    The Phase 1 and 2 where really good games. If you like RTS with more emphasis on strategy and no base building you should try them out.

13. leeder krenon says:

Yep, this series has been around a while. The original is pretty good, and dates to 2004. OMG COMPANY OF HEROES RIPPED OFF CODENAME PANZERS??!?!!

14. dolph says:

Yeah, like what leeder said, how in hell’s name did a 2007 game (Company of Heroes), copy a 2004 game (Codename Panzers: Phase One)?

Codename Panzers was there first, (well earlier than CoH), the cover system, front & rear tank armor, etc. It was a pretty good game for its time. CoH just added the Warhammer 40k game style.

15. Wedge says:

I don’t think they quite understand just why it was called the “Cold” War. Hint hint, it wasn’t because Russia is cold.

16. Radiant says:

Well they tried to call it “Codename Panzers – Normal War Set During The 70’s, 80’s And 90’s” but the acronym was a bit shitty.
    How is this different to say Act Of War?
    [which was rubbish btw].

I may give Panzers 1 and 2 a bash if you recommend it.
    Anywhere I can still pick it up?

17. Klaus says:

CP-NWSDtSEN
    Sounds sexy.

18. Radiant says:

well if you find nearly half the alphabet sexy then you may like to meet my scrabble partner.

Yes I have a scrabble partner…we play scrabble together.

19. Radiant says:

She’s a bit fat.

20. Adrian Werner says:

This whole “CoH clone” whining remings me of “OMG! Warhammer Online totally ripped off Warcraft’s art style” :)
    CoH ripped a lot from both Panzers and Soldiers: Heroes of WWII and it continues to do so(Tales of Valor is even closer to BestWay’s RTSes than original COH), it just offered the more polished form of this type of gameplay.

Anyway Panzers: Phase 1 and 2 were great so I’m having big hopes for this one.

21. Hmm-hmm. says:

Now, I’ve seen Panzer (or something with Panzer in the name), but while an WWII RTS it was not that much like CoH in terms of resources and interface, as far as I can recall. I do recall it being a pretty good game.

Now if this game is a successor to ‘that game I vaguely remember’, it’s a bit of a downer still.. and more because if all recent war RTSs start to look and play alike we’re all worse off.

*goes off looking for that game*

22. Hmm-hmm. says:

Oh, nevermind. I was thinking of another game. Chalk it up to ignorance in the WWII RTS scene. It was Blitzkrieg 2, by the way.

23. Chaz says:

I really enjoyed the first one, and it wasn’t all tanks tanks tanks either, your ground troops played quite a big part too. In fact without scouting forwards first with your foot soldiers, your tanks would get toasted double quick time. I never got around to trying Phase 2, which is a shame because I actually prefered this to CoH. Maybe I should see about investing in it.

24. Serondal says:

So the game is called Panzers, but there aren’t any panzers in it because Germany has been WTF PWNED prior to the game starting. Also it is about the Cold War, which was Cold Becaus there was no actual war . . .

Should be called Codename Armor: Hot War Or maybe Codename Tank: Battle of the Berlin Wall ?

That be an awesome battle to see, a battle between Soviets and NATO fighting in berlin with the Berlin wall as the central point of the struggle O.o I so totally need to make games I just sadly can’t program or anything which is a big deal aparently.