The Sunday Papers

The Sunday before Christmas is for wrapping presents. Assuming of course, you’ve bought some presents. Which I may not have. Man! I may as well distract myself from the horror by making a list of the best pieces of games writing across the web for you to read while trying to not link to the greatest Christmas song doesn’t get played in every shop across the land.

Failed.

From this site

1. monkeh says:

Great song, but the link didn’t work for me.. this one does tho’ :D

2. hydra9 says:

And finally, Kieron, you’ve linked to a song I truly love! Happy Christmas to you, sir!

3. jamuel scones says:

I haven’t bought a presents yet, due to a Space Rangers 2 renaissance after buying the Reboot expansion.

It won’t be a problem though. Everybody’s getting a jar of spit this year. Nice and easy.

4. Ben Abraham says:

Aww, I like you too Kieron. <3

5. Andy says:

That article about Audiosurf was very interesting. I’ve often thought the problem with Guitar Hero, and other games like that, is that I kind of have to block out the song and play to the dots on screen, because its never a perfect representation of the actual song.

6. Wurzel says:

Re: Guitar Hero, to be fair once you get to the expert difficulties it *is* pretty much a perfect representation of the song (especially on the drums :) ) One of the things it does a lot better than Audiosurf is link your performance to what you hear, with a closer link between the things you’re asked to do and what you’re hearing, and the track muting when you mess up.

Obviously though Audiosurf does a fantastic job of taking in whatever you can give it and providing you with a great experience, though. Once the Guitar Hero / Rock Band find a way to do that with their style of game, good times would be had! Whether this would completely destroy their business model, however, is another matter…

7. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I was almost tempted to do a post about the Spike awards, since World of Goo won an award. But then I remembered that I don’t exactly approve of the Spike awards.

Indeed, the Spike VGAs do appear to have been a trifle odd.

Also, cheers for the ACE interview Reticule people.

8. BigRedRock says:

Thanks for the Low link – gorgeous.

Merry Christmas!

9. The Poisoned Sponge says:

That’s probably my favourite Christmas song ever, so I’m pretty sure this isn’t a ‘fail’. And thanks again for the linkage!

10. Gap Gen says:

Man Raised By Puffins: I dunno, that clip was so obscene it came out the other side and ended up being quite good. It’s difficult to claim that Tim Schafer being pulled in a chariot by bikini-clad ladies while Jack Black fires off a flamethrower and screams his name could be taken at face value. Then again, perhaps American TV genuinely is that insane on a normal level.

11. hydra9 says:

Most of the audience was probably just confused by that. The thing I hate about these award shows (okay, one of many things) is the cuts to the audience where everyone’s laughing at the jokes and clapping because the camera’s pointing at them and they’d look like an asshole if they didn’t join in.

12. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Gap Gen: I guess the tone for that particular bit is sort of fitting given that Brütal Legend riffs off Metal excess, it’s still a bit cringeworthy though. My main thoughts when watching that clip are towards the poor health and safety guys and the conniptions they must have had in the planning stages: “You want to give Jack Black a what?”

13. Post Maker says:

I’d really love to do a clever transition from this topic to what I’m actually posting about, but instead I think I’ll just flat out ask if anyone at RPS has heard anything new about Borderlands yet.

Anything?

14. BrokenSymmetry says:

That was a very nice list of this year’s games writing by Simon Parkin. I agree with him about the Time Extend feature in Edge: it makes the Edge subscription price worth it all by itself.

15. James G says:

Not hugely aware of Spike TV, I don’t think we get it in the UK, at least not on freview. It sounds somewhat like Nuts or the like. What disapoints me most about something like that a) it tries to tie itself to my hobby in a way which is just embarassing as much as it is offensive, b) that Schaffer got involved.

16. Larington says:

Yikes. What I saw of that. Yikes.
    I’m glad I didn’t put any effort into seeing it.

17. Paul B says:

Finally, a song that KG linked to that I actually like, and one of my favourite Christmas songs ever.

If there was any justice, this would be number one this Christmas (and not the usual X-factor dreck).

18. Putter says:

Very satisfying Sunday Papers. Great song, read half of Parkin’s favorites (including the Planetside article that probably seemed too long when I originally saw it), read the whole great tribute to Ensemble and all of Leigh’s thing, plus I read the escapist thing earlier this week.

Just saying because I haven’t been reading as many articles lately as I used to, but these were all so very irresistable.

19. hydra9 says:

I must agree. I spent a couple of hours reading lots of good stuff, this week.

20. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says: