Left 4 Dead DLC 4 Free

Hungry?

The matter’s settled. The DLC for Left 4 Dead will be absomolutely free on PC and 360. Valve have proclaimed the good news about the L4D Survival Pack, which we describe in words here. Quite how Valve have managed to get something out on 360 without forcing the masses to tithe to the Redmond Beasts we don’t know, but that’s not our problem anyway.

The Survival Pack will include the mysterious “Survival” multiplayer mode (I’m going to take a guess – it’s a mode where you see how long you can survive for, without safe rooms?), as well as Versus modes for Death Toll and Dead Air. And of course the PC version will come with the much-awaited SDK gubbins. Carry on.

1. DragonSix says:

When ?

2. NukeLord says:

Good to know, didn’t think they’d be charging for it.

Looking forward to it, whenever the hell it’s coming.

3. jon says:

Was it ever not going to be free? *Grumbles at the scaremongering idiots on Steamforums*

4. The_B says:

From what I’ve heard, I believe Survival Mode also takes away revivals and health pickups, so once you’re down, you’re out.

5. Theoban says:

*angry comment about quality concerns due to it being free*

Just so this isn’t completely free of unaccountably angry posts.

6. Fumarole says:

I hope the AIMs feel silly right about now.

7. Rob says:

While I think that Valve of all companies could probably have gotten away with charging, I’m very glad they’ve stuck with their tried and tested free post-release support. Good way to maintain customer loyalty, one would think.

8. Bret says:

That explains the reluctance, actually. They weren’t sure if they could make it free on the 360, so…

Makes sense. Shoulda known to trust Valve. ALL HAIL KING VAVE!

9. Sp4rkR4t says:

They should have charged the 360 users, just for shit’s n giggles.

10. Naurgul says:

The survival mode actually is a mode that you get a fortified place and your score is how long you can survive before getting overwhelmed.

11. sbs says:

ALL HAIL KING VAVE

12. LewieP says:

I am probably going to have to pick up L4D now, especially since it can be gotten on PC for a mere ten quid.

13. James G says:

@Bret

Yeah, I think you are right on that. They were waiting to get the go ahead on the 360 pricing before they made the announcement. I’m glad that Valve have managed to swing the favour for out console brethren as well, makes everything nice and fluffy.

14. sbs says:

LewieP: Sweet, but caution advised:

“That “G2Play” site is not legit. They are an unauthorized reseller selling retail keys without retail boxes. Valve have a stict policy in place when it comes to just selling game CD Keys – and those guys were operating under the radar up until a few weeks back when Valve became aware of them.

This occured a few years back with another site just selling CD Keys, and Valve region locked the CD Keys. If this occurs there is a chance that you will be unable to play the game if you are outside the “region” the CD Key was first originally allocated to.”

source

15. cyrenic says:

Comon, this is the internet people. Let’s complain about how the PC content is obviously being delayed so it can release at the same time as the 360 content.

16. LewieP says:

sbs:
    I’m pretty sure since they are in the EU, that would be illegal. I know of the example you are talking about, but wasn’t that a Chinese site?

17. Tomo says:

Win!

18. Markoff Chaney says:

ALL HAIL KING VALVE!

I must say I’m shocked at the free DLC for the 360 though. I’d love to hear how that passed by the boys in Redmond.

19. A-Scale says:

To be honest, considering that Valve didn’t announce it would be free when it was first discussed, I think two of the following scenarios occurred

1. They wanted to see public reaction to it not being declared free, and if most of the feedback was “I’d pay anything for new content!” they would charge for it. Since people flipped, we get it free.

2. They were still in negotiations with Microshaft, and as such didn’t want to announce the kit and kaboodle as free, or put off 360 users by only declaring the PC part free.

20. Galen says:

Personally, I like to imagine the way Valve managed to get free DLC on the 360 is by telling Microsoft that either it was going to be free, or it wasn’t going to happen. Even Microsoft had to cave under the unstoppable might of Valve.

21. Tei says:

Not only I am happy that will be free on the PC, but I am happy that somehow Valve has break the microsoft iron curtain and break his rules. Or maybe Valve is paying money to Microsoft for the distribution and hosting cost.

22. Pags says:

And once more my reading-between-the-lines fails me. Curse you Valve for doing the right thing!

23. Alex says:

I really like Left 4 Dead, but this Survival mode doesn’t sound that exciting to me. It basically sounds like that patched in arena mode from the lone Sin Episode- endlessly respawning waves of similar enemies, with your score based on how long you can hold out.

24. Ian says:

Valve like us. They want to make us smiley and warm.

25. roBurky says:

I think that’s excellent news about the 360 update being free, even though I don’t own a 360. Hopefully this is going to pave the way for all the other devs who have been trying and failing to get their updates releases on 360 for free.

26. Oddtwang says:

@Fumarole: Why would they be shamed? They stuck it to the man!

27. Wacky says:

I don’t get something though,if this DLC is free,why are they releasing “The Editor’s Choice” version which is supposed to contain both the game and the DLC?

28. JonFitt says:

I know how the Xbox360 price happend: Gabe Newell beat Major Nelson in a golden fiddle contest.
    It was awesome.

29. SwiftRanger says:

Nice marketing move here, say nothing about DLC being free in the first official statement so people wonder/worry about it, wait a week or so and then give out another statement of it being free. The more this come in the news the better for Valve.

I don’t think it has something to do with waiting for players’ reactions or that they were still negotiating with MS, this is just how their PR plays. :)

30. Smurfy says:

WTF I DEMAND THEY MAKE THE 360 DLC PAID-FOR! It’ll teach those damn consolefags to play on the 360! VENGEAAANCE!!!

31. Lobotomist says:

Right choice, Valve

32. Little Green Man says:

Smurfy wins +1 internet.

33. Naurgul says:

Wacky – PR, mostly, I say. A new box means new shelf life. The Witcher did the same thing as well.

SwiftRanger – Nice to see I’m not completely paranoid to have thought of this possibility. Still, it seems far fetched, mainly because there would be people who would be concerned with the first announcement but then the second one doesn’t reach them. So, that would be too risky a move, that’s my conclusion. I don’t completely dismiss the possibility that this is what happened, though.

34. bitkari says:

Cunning!

1. Create great game on both platforms.
    2. Offer FREE content to PC version…
    3. Oblige Microsoft to allow FREE content on Das Xbox too, lest it look decidedly inferior to the PC.

Nice.

35. DeuceMojo says:

@Nuke Lord:
    You look like an S1W at the swimming pool. That’s awesome.

Thanks be to God, it’s 100% free for Xbox. I thought for sure they were going to hang us out to dry for 800 MS Points, which I think equals $12.
    I will so be into this game again when this happens. Hell, I might even start playing it before teh new content arrives.

36. Al3xand3r says:

It’s probably free because even Microsoft understand it’s more of an update than actual meaningful new content. The new mode doesn’t also involve new maps, does it? On the other hand, enabling the final two campaigns in Versus mode is hardly worth money, it should have been available from the start even. I’m expecting actual new maps to be paid for as usual via Microsoft.

37. Paul Moloney says:

All hail Valve, even though – sotto voce – I admit I got a little bored with L4D. Or, at least, got more excited by GTAIV. But I’ll definitely revisit at some stage to play the DLC.

P.

38. RabidZombie says:

“basically sounds like that patched in arena mode from the lone Sin Episode”

Which happened to be my fav part of the game.

39. Thomas Lawrence says:

This is highly speculative, but I can’t help but wonder if earlier ambiguity from Valve as to the freeness or otherwise of the DLC was a sort of trial balloon to see how the community felt about it? Perhaps that’s too paranoid a scenario.

Anyway, glad to hear it definitely will be free. Valve are well aware how their strong reputation for after-release support drives both initial sales of their titles and further sales spikes when the new content arrives. Trading away the certainty of that reputation for an additional revenue stream was probably not going to be a savvy move in the long term.

40. Malagate says:

I’m not sure I understand why people are looking down upon a Survival mode where you would possibly be surviving as long as possible either on a map or in a barricaded location. It’s almost as if they haven’t heard of the pant-wetting terror that was the lone survival mode in the AVP game, or some of the better survival maps in the zombie mods for various HL games. It all depends on execution, and I’d imagine Valve will be taking the time to try for the perfect execution.

41. sigma83 says:

The major concern I have for a survival mode is pacing. The various crescendos and finales in L4D are harrowing because they’re capstones. They’re the meat on top of mayo, but without the mayo the meat is dry. Sort of thing.

42. Big Boomer says:

Is it just me or why isn’t there an f’in OFFICIAL post from someone at Valve or on Valve’s website stating that the Left 4 Dead DLC will be free? Seriously here people, what is the source of this information?

43. Rich_P says:

If survival mode really is about defending a roof or room against endless zombie waves, I’ll probably get off my ass and buy L4D by staying on my ass and buying it from Steam.

Survival mode appeals to the part of my brain that loves tower defense and “DEFEND THE ALAMO!”-type scenarios.

44. cowthief skank says:

Big Boomer: There is this link to store.steampowered.com

45. PHeMoX says:

No surprise there, as they initially promised us that the Survival mode would be included in the first release.

I might buy Left 4 Dead soon, the demo was more fun than I had expected. Too bad it had a time-limit. :p

46. Rei Onryou says:

Ah Valve, sweet Valve. You’ve done it again. Not just free PC, but paid 360 (like most things), but you twisted the M$’s arm around to your way of thinking.

It’s only a matter of time until DLC as we know it falls to the power of PC’s free thinking mindframe.

Just for this, I’m tempted to buy a game off of Steam as a way of saying “thanks”.

47. sbs says:

Please, as a favor to me, don’t do that “M$” thing anymore, ok? Please?

48. rabbitsoup says:

I think i’d be more likely to buy if they let me play survival mode the ADD part of my FPS brain was bored stiff by the demo.

i like the concept but reality was more : “o noes 20 zombies” bish bash bosh… no zombies. they go down sooo easy i feel no fear and thus get no thrill, even the witch was more or less a walkover

49. TooNu says:

*Big opinion words*
    *I agree with blaa blaa*
    *I disagree with blaa blaa*
    *Digression*
    *Slight agreement*
    *rar angry internet man*
    *repeat for every RPS article*

50. Arathain says:

Is anyone else thinking Versus on Dead Air will be really, really good?