The RPS Electronic Wireless Show Episode 12

PODCASTLOGOINYOURFACE

Welcome, it’s a new Rock, Paper, Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show. Jim and John gather to mouthspeak about PC gaming and beards for the entertainment of the masses. Wonder at how they say thoughts aloud, gasp at the interruptions from local wildlife, be astonished at our lusting after news readers with lisps, and then be brought back down to Earth by the intricate discussion of the important gaming matters of the day.

Under discussion are games such as C&C Uprising, The Path, Hawx, Knights of the Old Republic, and The Old Republic. Along the way we discuss the role of controversy in games, the state of the space sim, whether genres can ever really die, irony, and why RPS readers are the best and most generous readers of them all. Find out why John is now evil, and a potential murderer. Find out which BBC news readers share a bed with Jim.

You can get the podcast directly from here. Or subscribe to it here. Or push us up the iTunes charts by getting hold of it there.

1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

There better be something in here about the RPS Rule 34 Kieron wrote.

2. Seniath says:

We must push little chart!

3. James G says:

Oooh, Listening material on my flight to Lisbon (Its a conference not a holiday). Assuming I don’t forget my MP3 player again like I did on my last long journey.

4. Paul_M says:

Yeah, while we’re on the subject of travel listening – could you please make the podcasts last about 1hr 05mins to exaclty cover my journey from Sheffield to Derby of a Tuesday. I believe it was the bath squad that got it spot on recently so more of the same please. And for some reason Kieron’s voice is unbearable to listen to on my car speakers. Sorry mate.

John Walker says:

I’m not sure we’ve ever gone more than 50 mins. But I recommend listening to it, then listening to the first 20 minutes again.

6. The Hammer says:

Great episode today, guys! I have to admit to not keeping up with them, but I gave this one a listen. IT’S LOVELY.

7. Heliocentric says:

Personaly i slow down the podcasts and raise the pitch back to the normal phonic levels.

8. Gap Gen says:

I prefer shorter podcasts. For a format that is essentially a rambling conversation, I think that keeping it brief can limit fluff.

9. Paul_M says:

hmmm. Maybe it was a ..ahem.. Pc Gamer podcast in which one of you featured.

If I’m to do that John you’d better start crafting some experimental ouroboric, Finnegans Wake-esq structure to your podcasts, then I’d never need to worry about them ending before I make it to the car park.

10. Schmung says:

Lovely stuff. Nice to hear more about the path without having to rot my brain and trawl through the comments thread. It is very much not my cup of tea, but I don’t quite understand the people who think that it’s existence somehow impinges on other games.

Oh, on the subject of space games I feel compelled to post this link :

link to rockpapershotgun.com

11. Gap Gen says:

Schmung: That game is very pretty, even if the engine is built entirely from bloom.

12. Radiant says:

Bloom is the new lens flare

13. Dante says:

I’ve seen the BBC newsreaders used once or twice before, Shaun of the Dead used as I recall.

14. Pace says:

What about the jingle?

15. Schmung says:

Pointless factoid : Apparently, while the Beeb are happy enough to have their news featured in films and programmes ITV/ITN are not. Even in ITV shows, so you’ve got the slightly jarring effect of watching crap fake news on a drama made by a company that actually has it’s own news department. Genius.

16. El Stevo says:

I’ve always thought that Jim has a very beardy name.

17. TooNu says:

Great podcast as ever. I will state my opinion thus. I enjoy Jim’s and John’s podcasts more than Keirons but only because you two talk like gamers and what sounds like, more fun.
    Incidently, please keep up the KOTOR blog it is great to read, your original play method is the same as mine, I can’t play as evil guys without remorese either.
    Jim, More EvE writings please.

18. Lake says:

I did not even notice that those Steam comments have been removed from the rating. Only has a number now.

19. BooleanBob says:

Huh, yeah, it has gone.

So your steam rating rises and falls proportionately as the number below it – the number you’ve spent on a steam game in the previous fortnight – rises and falls.

If it was kind of pointless before, what is it now?

20. Quercus says:

I can’t download it – if I click on the mp3 link it just directs me to a blank page and if I right-click and save as I get a file with zero bytes.

21. Kieron Gillen says:

Presumably our provider is down – I can’t get One Life Left either who use the same podcast provider.

KG

22. Markoff Chaney says:

Bah. I should have grabbed it yesterday. Huzzah for procrastination!

23. Heliocentric says:

the steam rating is not based on cash spent but playtime, wont miss it though. Dont need my pc telling me I’m a loser for not spending enough time with it.

24. Lewis says:

iTunes is error-ing it as well. Queer.

25. Helm says:

I liked this podcast a lot :D

I agree that saying adventure games are dead while they’re still being put out 10 years later is silly and in fact I think it is something of a smokescreen… by repeating they’re dead some people mean ‘we do no longer have to assess the new ones that come out, they’re irrelevant’. But they’re not, the new adventure games that come out are mostly very bad, but a few aren’t, and the potential public for them might not be aware of them. Furthermore all the bad ones go down without critical analysis and lower the standards even more… this sort of attitude is not killing adventure games, it’s just making them even worse.

26. Gap Gen says:

On the point of dead space sims, have you guys seen the proposed Crysis mod for Battlestar, by the same guys as the Homeworld 2 mod? (link)

27. john says:

god, you guys are politically correct wussies , you also have voices that suggest you probably got beaten up a lot at school, stick to the writing!