Dragon Age: Beta Signups Are Go

Woah, woah, woah. Calm down, Excited Bob: this ain’t yer everyday beta. It’s a little different, this one – specifically, it’s to test the toolset for Bioware’s upcoming spiritual sequel to Baldur’s gate. The follow-up to the long-lived, enormously successful Neverwinter Nights modding kit, in other words. So it is indeed an early chance to play with the engine, but you’ll be making your own adventures rather than carving through Dragon Age’s story.

The good news, though, is that they’re not looking for veteran modders: rather, they want a range of guys, including total game-fiddlin’ newcomers, in order that the toolset really gets put through its paces. If that appeals to you, apply over here and cross your fingers. You’ll need to create a Bioware Community account first, however -and that happens here.

1. Azradesh says:

Awww :( I’m as creative as a brick, so no good for me.

2. Gladman says:

I used to use the Neverwinter Nights toolkit to make ridiculous high XP giving quests for myself and give myself fancy weapons but that’s it.

Signing up anyway like.

3. qrter says:

Let’s give this a try.

4. Edawan says:

I always like to try editing tools that come with games, even though nowadays games are too complex for me to create anything meaningful on my own. (I often give up when scripting starts to get too heavy)

I guess I’ll apply as a newb. :D

5. Xercies says:

Hopefully you can create at least some generic quest with no scripting, I’m kind of dissapointed when theres scripting involved because that leaves me with only creating areas and houses and stuff like that. i have always wanted to create a quest but every modding tool I seem to find needs scripting and my mind melts when I try scripting.

6. Zyrusticae says:

Ooooh, fascinating. If only I didn’t have all the motivation of a damp squib to actually go out and make something.

Well, hopefully this’ll help shape the toolset into something nice and malleable so the dedicated modders can really pump out some nice stuff…

7. duouk2000 says:

Applied, thanks for the heads up.

8. Fumarole says:

Thanks for the news.

9. Xercies says:

Signed up and ready to go.

10. Andrew says:

Neverwinter nights toolset is easily one of the best game creators ever. Easy enough to create something VERY basic. But experts can work absolute wonders with it. Hopefully dragon age will go the same way and we’ll end up with thousands of quality user made adventures.

11. Andrew says:

Sorry… forgot to say great post – can’t wait to read your next one!

12. thaine says:

system requirements?

13. Azazel says:

I’m going to create the best mod ever. A convoluted moral maze. A Faustian masterpeice! The ‘Watchmen’ of the party based adventure! Something unbearable that will make people ashamed to be alive!

Admittedly all I could ever make with q3radiant was a room with a light… but I have hope!