Shades Of Grey: Noir Online

The premise of recently-announced Korean MMO Noir Online is intriguing: the struggle for power between criminal gangs in 1930s Shanghai, complete with snappy suits and a whiff of prohibition-era Chicago. Sadly the reality of the game footage (posted below) makes it look rather more “collect 10 gangster spleens”. I guess we’ll find out for sure when the game arrives later this year.

1. Tei says:

The animation guy and the particles guy neeed to have a talk.

Also, nice… you will be killing humanoids, for a change (or whas the attack of Tchulu on the 30’s? )

2. Wedge says:

I think being an MMO, especially Korean, does in fact default you to an endless grind of spleen collecting, regardless of the setting. Unfortunately =<.

3. Sp4rkR4t says:

If the gangs aren’t based on the ones in Kung Fu Hustle I’m not interested.

4. mysteriesofkabir says:

Meh. Looks like generic grind, for some reason they chose the 1930’s. Use a different template for buildings and costumes, and you’ve got another one.

5. NuZZ says:

The second I saw gameplay I couldn’t even watch the rest of the trailer. Yucky.

6. Stupoider says:

I’m forced to agree with Sp4rkR4t.

7. Xercies says:

Man they didn’t even have the aesthetic of noir(which is the most important bit of noir) I love the aesthetic of noir, theres something about it that makes it cool. But this looks generic, its to light for a noir game. There’s not even anyone wearing a trenchcoat or a Fedora which is like two most important things to wear in noir. Yep this looks rubbish.

Its a shame because the concept art looks pretty damn good, that concept art is quite like noir(though some ones are a little bit to bright and have to many lights, one thing about noir is that it doesn’t have much lighting) but yeah if you just stick to the concept art and make a story out of that it could be cool. The game looks nothing like the concept art.

8. JKjoker says:

lets see, the shirtless man sitting and the dudes squatting like they were about to take a crap in the pic look gay and stupid, the idle animations look really out of character (they should play with the hats, pockets or weapons not jump and shake their limbs like street fighter’s chun li) and the most stupid thing of all : using guns in close combat always looks like crap

9. Whizzo says:

Did they license the City of Heroes/Villains engine for this? A lot of that looks very familiar.

10. Inanimotion says:

Eww click to move.

The first part definitely does make it look like a grind fest…with the hundreds of easily killed mobsters all wearing the same thing….

The PvP face off looked decent. It was rather comical when they were trying to look all epic and the guy starts bouncing up and down impatiently like a 6 year old though.

11. DeliriumWartner says:

The grey cities and suited kill-fodder reminds me of The Matrix Online. It seems like it suffers from the same drudgery as it too, without the one redeeming feature of roleplayed NPCs and world storyline quests.

12. Dominic White says:

99% of Korean MMOs are terrible. This one looks to be no exception. Just that screenshot alone kinda fills me with dread.

Still, there’s always that 1% exception. I’ve recently been playing quite a bit of Atlantica Online ( link to tiny.cc ), which actually is quite refreshingly different. More than anything, it reminds me of RPS darling King’s Bounty. Yes, that includes turn-based tactical combat.

Yes, turn-based MMO, you read that right. Party-based as well. Each player can field up to 9 characters, and smart play is rewarded.

I normally can’t stand MMOs in general, and wouldn’t pay for most, but Atlantica has, so far, had me playing for longer than I could stand World of Warcraft. That’s not saying a huge amount (just over a month of WoW, two months of Atlantica), but I’m actually having a good time.

It’s a decent RPG first and foremost, and an MMO second.

13. CakeAddict says:

Did one of the gangsters just do a nightelf hop?
    I agree with wedge, it will most likely just be the usual Korean mmo.

14. Kommissar Nicko says:

There’s something eerily incongruous about watching mobster-esque mans gun down thousands in broad daylight while the rest stare and wander in disinterest. While I inexplicably forgive this in most fantasy MMOs on the simple basis that everyone who’s not a player in fantasy settings is afflicted with severe Alzheimer’s, seeing this level of callousness is definitely not conducive to suspension of disbelief. Normally I’d be interested in something of this flavor, but the above coupled with the fact that it seems to be nothing but a reskinning of every other MMO on the market makes me want to gag.

15. NuZZ says:

Oh pahleez western-big-budget-mmo-developers, save us from these crappy korean games!

16. Tei says:

There are a special circle on hell for all Pacman clone, Tetris clones and Korean MMO’s.

Is not that these games are bad. Is not that the programmers or artist lack style (most of these are great programmers and great artist). Is what you do with your time. If you use your skills, talent and time to create a generic clone, the result will be another terrible clone.
    The Koreans have demoed a amazing ability for graphics and programming, and wasting these resources on a infinite army of clones. Or that is what the world think, maybe the koreans disagree.

At least this one is original on the settings.

17. Tei says:

On the other part… “originalism” is a western thing. We raise to god status “the author” and “originality”. While on the south east, things work different.
    We often raise “authors” a bit too much. Like authors are something like god’s, that can create stuff from thin air. Is a lie, authors are not god’s, can’t create from nothing. But these cool guys from asia are not even tryiing. You can’t always get the next cool thing going evolutionary, you must often go to the edge of technology and JUMP, and make a revolution, breaktrought.
    Of course, there are not pure western or eastern attitudes. There are bits of a creative/original author on everyone. This is more a cultural thing, than a personal thing, I suspect.

18. Okami says:

*sigh* Could we please all stop using the word gay as a derogatory term? Isn’t this supposed to be a blog about pc gaming and aren’t pc gamers supposed to be more mature and clever than the unwashed console playing masses?

19. Nick says:

I dunno Okami, ever played any online game with Americans and voice chat before?

20. faelnor says:

nice midi music

21. The Yellowest Peril says:

Chinese people: Gay and stupid. :(

22. Wisq says:

I love the part near the start where he’s just gunning down people in the street and nobody’s even noticing.

Even fantasy RPGs, with their unintelligent monsters, often have them assist each other if a nearby one is attacked. Or if they don’t, they at least have the excuse that the creatures are too dumb for that.

It’s hard to use that excuse when you’re shooting men in suits in broad daylight. :)

That raises another interesting point. I’ve yet to see an RPG/MMO where attacking a non-aggressive mob causes it (and nearby ones) to run away rather than attack the player. Certainly it introduces a new style of gameplay (and therefore, a new challenge) — either be faster than the mob, or be deadly in one shot, or be able to sneak close enough to get in several shots before it gets out of range. But I guess that’s “Deer Hunter” gameplay, not “World of Grinding Online” gameplay, so . . .

23. Redford says:

The only Korean MMO I can suggest you play right now is Atlantica. They are trying very very hard to not be korean, and are mostly accomplishing this. Is it still korean? Yes. But are you excepted to endlessly kill the same monsters over and over again in order to level? No, not at all, unless you are a high level character and your nation sux lolz.