Faith Fighter 2: You Gotta Believe!

I can't help but disrespect religions. AND IN THE GAME, etc.

Have you been following the Faith Fighter controversy? If not, I’ll explain the background below, but it’s taken a fun turn. Molleindustria – who you may remember from Oiligarcy – found that their original Faith Fighter has outraged the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (and so indirectly 1.3 billion believers). Since Molleindustria was upset they missed their irony, they pulled the original from their site and made the tolerance-is-awesome Faith Fighter 2. And, really, it’s about as disingenuous as it gets. I feel the need to applaud.

You have to assume they’re adding in – ahem – bad faith, because while they’ve removed the game from their site as a symbolic gesture it’s still available on their actual account at Newsgrounds and the source code for the original is still on their site for anyone who wants to get it. But most importantly, Faith Fighter 2 rips the piss out the whole concept of belief by asking you to try and support all the gods, and some aliens and the spaghetti monster. And if you don’t – oh, something bad will happen, probably. In other words, they’re apologising while flicking the Vs, as good agent provocateurs should.

(Not that I think they’re acting totally insincerely with their apology. A satirist hitting a target they weren’t aiming at does tend to annoy – which is why I think they’ve refocused their attack with Faith Fighter 2.)

The scandal? Well, the Metro ran a GAMES HATRED story with some renta-quote types in it. The OIC noticed it and gave a statement asking it to be withdrawn from ISPs. And then the news picked up on it. And lo! Scandal.

Let’s hand over to our PaRappa The Rapper to end on a song.

You really do.

1. Real Horrorshow says:

I’m gonna send this to Pat Condell.

2. cqdemal says:

The original Faith Fighter is awesome.

3. gnome says:

Molleindustria are gods.

4. DMJ says:

‘This game is going out of its way to upset people and I think it should be taken off the internet,’ said Douglas Miller, pastor of the Link Church in Birmingham.

The internet is no place for things which upset people.

5. pepper says:

I find this OIC site offensive for atheists! It must be taken off-line immediately, lets go protest with the provider!

6. Markoff Chaney says:

DMJ – I offer a corollary. The internet is no place for people who get upset. ;)

7. duel90 says:

thanks PaRapper

8. Muzman says:

I prefer : The Internet is no place for people.
    Or simply: The Internet is no place.

9. Markoff Chaney says:

Or we could run with – Punch Kick, It’s all in your mind.

Edit – I suppose the Pastafarians will be all up in arms about this one as well.

10. Monchberter says:

Kudos. Great response. :)

Double kudos for Parappa

11. clovus says:

Prepare to be the target of a massive online hate campaign for implying that FSM is not a god. Your effigy will be burned in Flash animation.

12. Radiant says:

Another group self proclaimed to represent an entire religion…
    You know the only person who can actually have any claim to doing that is the Pope and I bet even he is smart enough not to use an acronym that spells out Oick.

13. Theoban says:

The Metro’s coverage is lazy reactionary journalism, but they at least mention that it was members of more than one faith being annoyed by this.

I shouldn’t have been surprised but the Mail really pulls out the stops for a ‘MUSLIMS ARE REACTIONARY LOOK HOW REACTIONARY THEY ARE’ story. And hints in a not-so-subtle way that we’ll all be set to the torch because of reactionary Muslims.

Of course it says this in a non-reactionary way.

14. Theoban says:

Ugh, I think I’ve used the word ‘reactionary’ more times today than at any other time in my life. I need a better Thesaurus.

15. Rei Onryou says:

I’m offended that I couldn’t see Horace in there. Discrimination!

16. Muzman says:

Markoff Chaney says:
    I suppose the Pastafarians will be all up in arms about this one as well.

Up in Noodly Appendages!, surely.
    Wait, that doesn’t make any sense.

17. Gap Gen says:

There is no internet.

18. James G says:

@Theoban
    The Metro is owned by the same folks who own the Mail, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they stoked the flames so that their sister paper could later bask in their glow.

19. Theoban says:

@James G – ah I didn’t know that. Surprised the Metro version of the story even mentions some Brummie minister being narked then.

20. Dave says:

Does everybody on this site live in Brum? crazy

21. Name (required) says:

How come it’s always muslims and patriotic americans that cry the loudest?

buhu you offended my religion/country, now im going to make you censor everything.

Asians keep it cool though, they know how to chill.

22. Spliter says:

I won’t say that I’m not offended a little by this game, but I think the public reaction is a bit of an overkill. It’s not like we don’t have anything else to do! There are more important things for believers to worry about! There’s still war in the world, hunger, poorness and Half Life 2 ep 3 still isn’t out!

23. El Stevo says:

@Dave

Brum? Because of the Metro? It started out as a London paper and they do localised editions all over the country.

24. Eternal_newbie says:

@Name (required)
    Are you suggesting non-asians can’t chill? That’s racist!!!

And why wasn’t Discordia represented? I’m deeply offended.

Down with the internet!!

25. Okami says:

wait… people still believe in gods? you`re kidding me, right?

26. Markoff Chaney says:

ALL HAIL ERIS!

27. Radiant says:

@ Name [required]
    Amazingly enough there are Muslims in Asia.
    Which was kind of my point about the silliness of one group claiming they speak for everybody but whatever.

28. Thingus says:

Dispite having never played the game, I am deeply offended that Bob, of the Church of the SubGenius, was not included.

No slack for you.

29. Unlucky Irish says:

I was a tad peeved that Odin, the All-Father, wasn’t featured in the original game but i guess that was just a balancing issue…….

30. Radiant says:

I was just thinking how fantastic it would be to be known as ‘The All-Father’ but then for that to be true you’d also have to have ‘The All-Baby Mother’ and I’m pretty sure the misses wouldn’t like that at all.

31. Kieron Gillen says:

There is only one god in the RPS comments thread, and it’s Horace The Endless Bear.

Don’t forget it.

KG

32. Bobsy says:

I sacrificed three cauliflowers and a pigeon to Bacchus last week, and I’ve still not heard back from him. I swear, with customer service like this I’ll be taking my religious offerings elsewhere.

What does Isis give for a pigeon these days?

33. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, most Muslims in Britain are probably Asian by descent.

34. LeFishy says:

The internet, no.

35. Radiant says:

@Bobsy
    I don’t know, I went round to her’s the other day but there was a sign on the door “Osi’s dead again we’ll be back in a bits”

36. Serondal says:

Being a Christian I gotta say this is silly. I’m more offended by some group coming up and claiming to speak for me then I am by some game.

Seems to me that any God fearing Christian should LOVE this game. You can play Jesus and crush all the other false religions with his holy sandals , what’s not to love ? :P

I could see why Muslims may not like it since they have religious rules against creating a likeness of Mohammad, can’t blame them for that they’re just staying true to their faith, but I don’t think it was ever the intention of the game designers to offend them in that specific way. Now if they had Mohammad come on stage with a bomb vest on and an AK-47 I could see some outrage as being the proper reaction :P

37. sbs says:

How dare they make fun of us Pastafaris.

(edit: Pastafarians?)

38. cqdemal says:

@ DMJ
    There’s a Link Church in Birmingham? Wow.

39. PeopleLikeFrank says:

I’M offended by the fact that I got all the way to Xenu (go Budai!), and then the cheap bastard just kept freezing me in a block of ice and jump kicking me to death.

40. Serondal says:

Sounds like my friends tactic with subzero lol

I’ve got a question. Why isn’t Chuck Norris in this game?

41. pepper says:

All bow to the one and only real god: David Casperson

link to davidcaspersonfacts.com

42. SmokingKipper says:

@Serondal
    Its all very well Muslims getting hot headed about about their religous rules and slagging off their prophet, but why should that mean that non believers have to toe the line? the whole idea of not choosing to follow one particular religion means I dont have to piss about following their customs.

43. Krondonian says:

Wait, Jesus is God, and Shiva and Ghanesh are both forms of Brahman, yet still they battle each other.

I’d have thought Mr Outraged Theologist person would have taken the time to understand the complexity of the symbolism and the metaphor of the mulitplicity of God before critizicing the game.

44. Serondal says:

I think this game would be better of as an RPG battle type thing. That way if you get Jesus God and the Holy Spirit all on your team you get a good ol final fantasy Tri-attack :P

@SmokingKipper – I would like to answer your question but I don’t want to offend anyone if I’m wrong. But as far as I understand the Koran or however it is spelled splits the world into 2 factions. Faithful Muslims and Other, and if they meet someone they can’t convert they’re suposed to kiill them? I’ve never read the passage myself but I believe that is in there some place O.o

I’m not saying all muslims feel this way (obviously they don’t or we’d see a lot more killings) But that sort of black and white view of the world is probably why they see fit to hold non-muslims accountable for their religious rules. This is why they feel it just to go crazy when someone makes a cartoon of Mohammed ect. I saw on the news a few months back where a teacher lost her job and was punished severly because she allowed the class to name a teddy bear mohammad O.o

45. Oddtwang says:

Also, what no Invisible Pink Unicorn?

Wait, maybe she’d be overpowered seeing as you couldn’t see her.

46. Jetsetlemming says:

I demand this news post be taken off the internet.

Flash games are forbidden and you are an infidel for posting about them.

47. Serondal says:

“Wait, maybe she’d be overpowered seeing as you couldn’t see her.”

Seeing as you couldn’t see her?

48. Tei says:

Guys… is 2009. God don’t exist. It was *invented* because lack of understaming of how the world work. Now that we know how the world work, we don’t need to inventa “big parents on the sky”. All religions must die.

49. ...hmm... says:

i totally missed that this morning.

Why are you reading the metro expecting quality, non knee jerk reactionism journalism ism? its both free AND daily..
    although i do love reading the stories about cute animals whilst on the train

50. Krondonian says:

Irreligious folk get so much shit from people with a basic sense of righteousness. Imagine you’re an atheist and buses had ads saying you’ll go to hell and burn for eternity. That wouldn’t be too nice.

The Atheist bus campaign was a response to a Christian bus ad that displayed the url of just that type of heathen burning website.

People make fun of the peaceful guys because it’s all a bit absurd really, peaceful or not.

The original Faith Fighters was awesome, but the way.