Ryzom Not Dead, Again

Weird-lookin’ French sci-fi MMO Ryzom is back, Back, BACK! Again. Having been heading for death, for the second time, the game was saved a few months back and is now being relaunched as a commercial project. The subs are going to cost $10.95 for a month, with a discount for multiple-months. There’s also a three-week trial. I’ve never tried it, even when it was entirely free, but I figure I’ll give it a go now that it has apparently risen from the dead twice. I mean it’d be rude to ignore something so persistent. (It’s a persistent world game. DO YOU SEE.)

1. Mahnsikir says:

Ah remember this as my first MMORPG (and only till this year), when I played the Beta years back at a friends house. Played it for a bit when it was free back in 2008 and I really liked the starter area and the way the skills progressed, plus the in game community/global chat was very good. Pity when I went to the main world, I lost all motavation to play it and never touched it again.

2. Kemuel says:

I absolutely loved this game, its where I found refuge after Galaxies died. I only really stopped playing when my workload got too heavy to sustain an MMO.

The things I liked most about it were the point-based skill system which, similar to Elder Scrolls games, gave you XP and level in just whatever you happened to be doing; and the fact that you built all the attacks yourself out of different particles like +damage which had to be balanced with stuff like -mana. There were no classes, only skill trees, and if you spent the time it was possible to learn all of them to their highest levels. The level of freedom was just awesome.

Along with the sci-fi/fantasy setting, the whole game felt really original.. I’m definitely gonna have give this another look now its cheated death once again.

3. jalf says:

It’s a very nice game in a lot of ways. It lacks quite a bit of content, but it has some interesting game mechanics, and the character progression/skill system is quite clever.

The main thing I like about the game is the world though. Looks so pretty, especially with the changing seasons. The mob AI adds to it as well, with herds of herbivores migrating through the world, or occasionally being hunted by predators.

I’ll never forget when I was starting out with the game back in beta, and I was just wandering out into a forest to dig for some kind of resource. I kneel down and start digging, and the moment I look up, I’m literally surrounded by giant ox-like beasts making strange sounds at me. Scared the hell out of me. Luckily, turned out they were harmless herbivores and I guess were just curious about me.

Really helps make the world come alive though.

4. Dave says:

I remember thinking Ryzom looked incredible but was completely rubbish when I tried it.

5. Dominic White says:

I’d say the best thing about it now is the Ryzom Ring featureset. Basically, you can make whole campaigns from scratch using a very Neverwinter Nights-esque editor.

I recall seeing a video a while back of a scenario someone made where a band of players (and NPC soldiers) defend a fort from a Starship Troopersish giant bug army.

6. Serondal says:

Those would be Kitins not starship troopish giant bugs :P Well okay they are Starship trooperish lol.

As far as people saying there wasn’t much content I had to disagree, there was a ton of content, high levels to get to, very interesting equipment and places to explore such as the entire under ground network of tunnels full of the bad guys. Also there was an extensive PVP element, mounts, ect. I stopped playing it because I just didn’t have the time to get into all of it any more but it was VERY interesting. The one thing it was lacking, which seems to be the downfall of most MMO’s, was interesting quest lines.

7. Stromko says:

I tried an early beta of Ryzom and was incredibly unimpressed, but a three week trial and this user-content thing makes it sound interesting. I usually quit any MMO within the first 2 – 3 weeks so it sounds fair.

UO in its dual-world period, Anarchy Online years later expansions, and Warhammer Online on launch are the only online games that hooked me for longer than 3 weeks, but only just. Ryzom would have to be pretty incredible to get any cash out of me, and I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so I’ll give it a shot.

8. Raff says:

I tried Ryzom last year and was put off by the combat system which is just your usual MMO auto-attack + hotbar monotony. It has a lot of nice aspects though if you’re not bothered by that (i.e. if you like wow, lotro, everquest etc) like freeform character development, good opt-in guild pvp structure, good crafting and a nice world.

I’m playing Darkfall with a Ryzom guild who are pretty much leaving after 3 or 4 years simply because although they love the game, very little has been added to it because of all the financial and ownership problems there have been.

I’ve heard that the scenario editor is very buggy unfortunately. Interesting though that City of Heroes is marketing its latest expansion as the first time that there’s been user created content in an mmo…

9. Jesucristo Garcia says:

Hey Raff, Dark Fall is out? Where to buy it?

I liked a lot Ryzom, it’s one of the few MMORPG I’m interested. May be I play it again.

10. Nurdbot says:

I haven’t tried it, but I will give it a go one of these days. Most I know about it is the phrase naked pig slapping from the mag :p.

11. Jubaal says:

Sounds interesting. Can you build your own house or anything like that in it? I’m really into all that kind of stuff at the moment.

12. Vagueism says:

Nope you can’t build a house, the apartments are really nothing but extra storage. Crafting on the other hand is VERY complex. Crafting great gear requires a huge amount of research.

I am a subscriber since 2005, but hardly log in anymore. After a period of trying almost every other MMO title out there I’ve stopped looking. I always miss Ryzom when I play other games even if it is lacking in some areas.

It’ll be interesting to read Jim’s verdict, especially as he comes from another sandboxy, but very different, game EVE Online.

13. Tei says:

Ryzom was special because whas one of the rare classless sandbox games. But I think Mount & Blade and Darkfall are better games.

14. Jesucristo Garcia says:

15. Chaz says:

I was unfortunate enough to go and buy this upon release and I thought it was terrible. Questing was almost completely non existant which just left lots and lots of pointless grinding as the only thing to do. I suspect it’s changed a lot since then though. Well I would hope it’s changed a lot since then. Currently the game has the dubious honor of sharing my shelf space between two other dud MMO’s, Horizons and Matrix Online.