Crysis 2: Multi-Format Boogaloo

Hot off the E3 grapevine is news that Crytek’s ultro-graphics shooter Crysis is definitely due a sequel. A proper sequel, that is, and not another Warheadesque expandalone: Crysis 2 will even sport a whole new engine. No further details whatsoever, and certainly no whiff of a screenshot, but hopefully all that stuff’s inbound later today. All we do know: it’s now multi-format. Oh, won’t someone please think of the children, etc. Me, I just hope it’s a better game than the underwhelming first two Cryses. Let’s start the guessing now, though – will Crytek stick to their tried and tested tropical setting, or elect to demonstrate the might of their new Cryengine 3 in a whole new locale? Urban would be fun… The press release, such as it is, is after the jump.

EA PARTNERS AND CRYTEK ANNOUNCE DEAL EXTENSION FOR MULTIPLATFORM DEVELOPMENT OF CRYSIS 2
Next Installment of the Critically-Acclaimed Crysis Franchise will be First Game Built on Crytek’s Multiplatform CryENGINE 3 Technology
Redwood City, Calif. – June 1, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that it has agreed to a deal extension with Crytek GmbH, the award-winning developers of the Crysis® universe, to publish Crysis 2. Renowned for their technical excellence, artistic craftsmanship and commitment to quality, Crytek is building Crysis 2 on their new state-of-the-art multiplatform game development solution CryENGINE®3 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and the PC.

“The development of Crysis 2 marks a major stepping stone for our studio,” said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek. “This is not only the next game in the Crysis franchise, it’s the first title we are developing for consoles and the first title being built on CryENGINE 3. We are excited to have the support of EA Partners again as we work together to make the launch of Crysis 2 a huge event.”“Nothing speaks more to the success of the EA Partners program than when a studio the caliber of Crytek continues to work with us,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA Partners. “Crytek is already one of the elite PC development studios in the world and we are excited to have the opportunity to partner with them in bringing their award-winning technology and gameplay to more platforms and a wider audience with Crysis 2.”

1. SirKicksalot says:

Prediction: the aliens invade Japan in the second half of the game.

They should change Helena’s voice actor.

2. anon says:

A playable graphic demo ported down to console compability.
    That’ll work.

3. Dedajim says:

Doesn’t the storyline at the end of the first one kind force them to continue into the frozen island…this would be seriously rubbish but maybe Crtek could make the second half of the game good…instead of rubbish

4. DMJ says:

I predict that the first half of the game will be great.
    The second half will be made by a trained monkey who has never even talked to the guy who made the first half.

5. TheSombreroKid says:

you’re all being harsh, there hasn’t been a better Single Player FPS released since!

6. Ashurbanipal says:

Eh. didn’t really like Crysis. There were some nice set-pieces, but the pace felt a little plodding, and my mobile phone has more battery power than that guy’s suit. I’d make believe I was using force powers instead, which kind of helped improve the feeling, but it still felt like something was missing.

What I’m really intrigued by is the screenshot above. I don’t recognise it as a scene from the game. Just what’s wrong with her face? It appears to have a huge pit in it. And it looks like she’s rather casually interviewing the large bug-faced alien left of frame, while people mill around as if this weren’t the most surreal thing ever.

7. Nimic says:

Am I the only one who liked all of Crysis? Yes, the first half was the best, but I had no real problem with the Alien parts. And Warhead was a great game too. There’s not a lot of single player FPS games I play several times, but Crysis and Warhead are both in that category.

8. dr_demento says:

Even the most fanatic PC gaming “enthusiasts” must admit, if the engine can run on those under-specc’d, weak-sauce consoles then it must be pretty scalable, no? So on the PC side, you won’t need the latest GTX295ROFL x 2 in order to run it, saving you money. This is one of the very best things about the Source engine, in my view; how scalable it is.

Et voila: something good to come out of a multi-platform game. Who’d have thought.

9. TheSombreroKid says:

@Ashurbanipal
    it’s from near the end o the game the aliens dead and she’s telling you about it.

10. AndrewC says:

Streptococcus Bumpmappia.

11. Ashurbanipal says:

The SombreroKid

I figured it would be something mundane like that, so I choose to believe it’s actually an interview with said alien.

“Some of our viewers think you’re a little cold. Do you have anything to say to them?”

[FSHWOOM]

12. eyemessiah says:

“Let’s start the guessing now, though – will Crytek stick to their tired and tested tropical setting, or elect to demonstrate the might of their new Cryengine 3 in a whole new locale?”

Fixed.

13. pkt-zer0 says:

Let’s start guessing, what features will be cut or compromised thanks to the lowest-common-denominator-style multi-platform design?

14. NuZZ says:

I just hope that it doesn’t make me cry when I try to play it on my new PC; which I am building in a few months…

15. Stuk says:

A different Crysis locale? I for one would love to see something like link to rockpapershotgun.com in a proper game. We know it’s (kind of) possible!

16. Ian says:

@ Nimic: A lot of folks seemed put off by everything after the aliens turned up, but I thought some of the stuff in the latter third/quarter got decent again.

17. autogunner says:

console scale sounds like the aras will be much smaller, not a huge problem since crytek built an amazing engine then made a really crappy use of it (with some notable exceptions). As for the new enivronemnt, I forsee lots of snow…

18. GLOWi says:

I liked Crysis (Warhead) a lot. Not undewhelming at all IMO. I hope that separate Crytek studios are dedicated to each platform and Crysis 2 platform flavours will differ more than with graphic details and controls.

19. Batolemaeus says:

I remain to be extremely unimpressed by anything crytec related..

20. Steve says:

Crysis was terrible.
    The first half of the game was fun I suppose, but the building physics certainly didnt live up to the videos that we saw of them. I saw no crumpling metal in the game. It all just sort of fell apart, like someone had put it together with terrible glue.

Let’s not even mention the aliens.

21. Black Mamba says:

I do hope its in another setting as well, the jungle is getting a bit played out, the ship/ice sections were the best bits.

This is sure to send the graphics fanboys into a tizzy, it will be fun to watch the fanboys explode with nerd rage.

(I place the blame for Crysis being too demanding talk on Crytek and PC gamers, I often see gamers set the details way too high for their system and Crytek for choosing presets that were too demanding for example medium should have been high, and low medium etc.)

22. Flint says:

The first Crysis was wonderful and not underwhelming in the slightest, I’ll put this on my “eagerly waiting” list.

I doubt the multiplatform thing will bugger up anything important e.g. the controls considering how PC-minded Crytek’s been so far.

23. Optimaximal says:

She’s standing in the rain and its a speck of rain on your visor.

Crysis’s radial suit menu seemed incredibly console-centric anyway, but the weapon upgrade system just wouldn’t work without a mouse. Curious to see how that will change tbh…

24. Subject 706 says:

Agree with Crysis NOT being underwhelming at all. The aliens were really boring to fight though. But as an FPS, the mechanics really shine, especially when compared to some recent releases, such as far Cry 2.

25. Jim Rossignol says:

I enjoyed Crysis enormously. I think Crytek messed up the alien stuff, but it was a tremendous shooter.

26. mrmud says:

I have to agree with Jim.
    I love the fact that you can play the game on easy and have lots of fun just using your silly powers to kill people in humorous ways OR you can play on delta and treat it almost like a Ghost Recon game.

I only wish there was Co-Op.

27. Kleevah says:

There seems to be some missing polygons on the poor girls cheek… :\

28. danielcardigan says:

But how many times do they have to be told to ditch the mutants/aliens before they’ll listen? Apart from anything else there’s a whole lot more of an emotional response to be had shooting at people, than at monsters. Hmmm. Maybe I’ve answered my own question. Crysis 2 will have nothing BUT monsters.

FWIW, I ended up liking Warhead when I finally got round to it. Better than Crysis overall I thought. But I’m still off games ATM, so it’s all academic.

29. Don says:

Crysis seemed to me a huge waste of a (potentially) great engine on a mediocre game. Like many I found the first half pretty good (though where did the free roaming of FC1 go to, it’s ironic that the people who kept the name did that in their sequel whilst the people who did the engine didn’t), the alien ship looked good, if confusing to get through and from then on utter rubbish.

Personally I’d be happy if they just junked the original story (the aliens got swine flue and all died) and went somewhere new.

30. Ben Abraham says:

I wish the “multiplatform” statement included the Wii!

31. Schmung says:

Crysis and Far Cry were both almost very good. Hopefully they can now go forth and make something that is genuinely splendid. They do a lot of things right, so here’s hoping they manage it.

32. Jorlin says:

I must say that I did not enjoy Crysis a lot until I got a rig that was able to run it on very high settings…
    Crysis itself was superb – especially the first part. I have to agree that the second part was not that good but that was balanced by the fantastic graphics in the alien ship… the last level on the carrier was a bummer though.

Warhead was great from the beginning to the end… I really enjoyed it a lot.

Regarding the game as a shooter besides the great graphics: I must say that the nano suit really added some extra gameplay value to it… if you seldomly used all its features, you really missed out on some different approaches to fight the enemy…

Looking very much forward to Crysis II – I hope they do not mess it up for those PC enthusiasts…

33. Bhazor says:

“underwhelming first two Cryses” It’s Chrisi surely.

34. Walter says:

Why is it “Chrisi?”

Crisis pl. crises. Crysis pl. Cryses. Yes?

35. Bhazor says:

“underwhelming first two Cryses” It’s Cryisi surely.

I gave up at the first fight against the two tanks outside the school. Awful, truly awful ai and pathfinding and nowhere near enough rockets to kill the sods. Still, I’ve never seen a tank somersault before. But really when it worked it was fun just a shame pop up comes close to ruining it at lower settings and big empty fun free sections link up the fights.

36. dhex says:

“Am I the only one who liked all of Crysis?”

nope. i dug the hell out of it.

i even liked warhead, which i think tweaked some of the alien problems to a helpful degree.

37. SwiftRanger says:

Well, this was expected.

Console peeps won’t get the first game nor Warhead then? Sounds like a brilliant scheme from Crytek to get convert console gamers to PC. They will all play Crysis 2 and say ‘damn, I need to play the first games too’. By that time (2010 surely?) a Crysis-ready PC will be dirt cheap as well.

Also, Crytek Black Sea pka Black Sea Studios better be working on Knights of Honor 2 based on the CryEngine 3 now.

38. dreamhunk says:

here is the thing it’s smart to go multi plat, however crysis on consoles is going to be so dumbed down it wouldn’t be funny. Consoles are out dated and old not worth playing.

link to youtube.com

this is good way for them to sell their engine. This game will really show how old those consoles really are.

39. Limboing_leper says:

So a PC developer who just picked a large number of ex-Free Radical employees and are now making a multi-platform game. This could be awesome (FR are working on it and not porting it) or terrible (it doesn’t scale and FR are working on it instead of TS4).

40. Schaulustiger says:

Really looking forward to the sequel.

I truly loved the first Crysis. I bought it together with my new gaming rig and never have I been blown away by graphics. It’s a shame, I admit, but I just sat there playing, my jaw dropped nearly every second and I remember being all “woooooooow” when this huge mountain began to fall apart to reveal the alien ship.
    I am by no means a “graphics > *” type of gamer, but Crysis had me deeply impressed and showed what is possible on a PC nowadays.

The only comparable game to this might be Rebel Assault back in the days, but Crysis was, like, 10 times more impressive. And yeah, it was just a decent shooter that got extremely linear in the second half. But I honestly don’t care as I was more occupied with looking around the beautiful landscape.

41. Rei Onryou says:

As good as the first half of Crysis and Warhead were, the later stages brought it down. If it reviews well, I’ll support it, otherwise, I’ll wait for the bargain bucket.

42. Deadpan says:

It’s more fun when you go into the difficulty settings and tweak Cloak to last alot longer.

Still, no one seems to notice the flashlight beams or glaringly visible lasers floating in space.

43. Lack_26 says:

I loved Warhead, also aliens + stealth + railgun = no aliens. Even on delta they were kinda easy. Still, I thought Warhead was an excellent action game with some great scenes. Like using the grenade launcher against the vehicles while I was on the train, oooh so fun.

44. Morgawr says:

Can someone explain to me what was so bad about Crysis’ aliens? I thought they were quite good compared to the usual ‘hide-in-a-corner-jump-at-your-face’ variety featured in most games with aliens.

45. teo says:

Expected but disappointing non the less
    I have no doubt that parts of the game will be compromised because of this

The huge expansive levels were what made Crysis great. Those levels ate up like 2GB of RAM. It’s impossible to do that on a console. In Warhead they had much more linear levels and they weren’t as fun

46. armless says:

How come noones mentioning the fact its multi platform. This sucks I just bought a brand new computer to play games like Crysis on and now the sequel is multiformat!! Actually I don’t really care that much.
    Strange how the sf4 articles are full with people moaning about how sf4 doesnt look any better on pc or that its not c ompatible with a frikin keyboard, but when something important happens like the sequel to one of the last bastions of pc only gaming is announced as multi format noone bats an eyelid. Guess its too obvious for some people to moan about, they might not get a reaction.

47. MeestaNob! says:

Crysis was one of the best FPS ever made. Inside the space ship, whilst not much fun the second time, was magnificent.

Warhead was shootier and just generally moar and equally good.

Everyone stop being wrong please.

48. jonfitt says:

I thought Crysis was pretty good. The Alien sections even had some great bits. I could have done with a larger battery in the suit though. I rarely used anything but shield and cloak, as the battery would drain too fast to do any of those multi-power moves that were demo’d.

I also think the rig-melting reputation was over blown. I had a less than new PC at the time and it ran it fine. I didn’t have everything cranked, but then I’ve been playing PC games long enough to be happy with a good resolution and the sliders set to “pretty good”. I’d much prefer an engine that can go further, than one that’s maxed out on current gear. That way the company can release more games without having to write a new engine (despite what Crytek say, I’d bet Crysis2 is much of the same tech but performance improved).

49. Vandelay says:

I’m guessing that the “new” engine won’t be very impressive. My bet is that it will look very close to what we already have in Crysis, but be heavily optimised for consoles.*

I’ve only played the demo of Crysis (being disappointed with its performance on my old 7600GT and then just not getting around to buying it when I got a Radeon 4850), but it did seem to be a game that rewarded experimentation. When playing like every other shooter it wasn’t that exciting, but then throwing exploding barrels (or turtles, take your pick) at Koreans and dashing around like a mad man so that you could grab hold of one of them become great fun. Not sure whether it would sustain this all the way through the game, which might be why it takes a big shift when the aliens arrive.

*I remember seeing a video for a new engine for something not to long ago, where the quality looked much like the previous game, but it was being geared towards multi-platform. That wasn’t the new Crytek engine was it?

50. Nutterguy says:

Definitely have to agree with Jim here, Crysis was a very good FPS abet with a really messed up ending and sub par second half.
    The first half of the game and the open-ended-ness (is that a word?) of every encounter was amazing. Plus of course the fact that 1 and a half years on no game has come close graphically!