“Questionable Moral Character”

Bombastic cowboy (six) shooter Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood is out on the 3rd of July. Don’t expect the bible ‘n bullwhip zaniness of the original game, but do expect a solid shooter with loads of blood, guts, and carefully orchestrated set pieces. Ubisoft have knocked out one more trailer before release, which you can find below, and it’s probably one of the best trailers we’re going this summer. And that’s not just my unnatural love of cowboy tunes talkin’.

1. Thirith says:

That definitely looks more like Sergio Leone than like Deadwood. Which makes sense for a game.

2. MrBejeebus says:

the 1st was ok i spose….

im not a wild western man, this may be worth looking over however.

3. greenB says:

To all readers: Mr. R has not included the most important piece of information regarding this game in his write-up. Here it is: cowboys with Gatling guns.
    Thank you, and have a nice day.

4. ...hmm... says:

COUNTRY AND WESTERN ALERT.
    also, sploded bridge from the good the bad and the ugly, which looks promising – taking inspiration from epic things

5. A-Scale says:

I loved the first one (very atmospheric and a lot of attention to detail), so I’m hotly anticipating this one. I just hope the combat system work as well or better than it did list time.

6. SirKicksalot says:

Hated the first one.

Where’s the Gun sequel?

7. superking208 says:

>Where’s the Gun sequel?

THIS

8. manintheshack says:

‘Hated the first one.

Where’s the Gun sequel?’

Now there’s a preference I wasn’t expecting to see.

9. TheSombreroKid says:

this looks better than the first

10. Walsh says:

As long as this one is all six shootin and no stealth, I’m all for it.

11. Zyrxil says:

I can’t say GUN was terrible (though the PC version had terrible memory leaks), but it was so incredibly fucking generic and mediocre. The first Call of Juarez wasn’t a masterpiece, but it looked good, had good gunplay, and told its story very well. Looking forward to this.

12. klumhru says:

Scenes from Pale rider, TGTBATU, FAFFOD, FAFDM and Outlaw Josey Wales all wrapped up in one. I wonder if the final bar scene from Unforgiven, the best western showdown in movie history IMHO, is in there as well :)

Guess I’ll find out July 3rd. Thanks for the heads up RPS.

13. Ian says:

@ Walsh: There are stealthier looking sections for Ray’s brother, but from what I’ve seen he looks significantly handier than his son.

Anyway: Do Want.

14. Real Horrorshow says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I think this game looks fucking awesome. I can’t wait.

I’m sure it was the context of the trailer, but this might be the first Johnny Cash country tune I didn’t hate haha

15. Real Horrorshow says:

non-Johnny Cash *

16. Ewok says:

I’m looking forward to this, I really enjoyed the first one, but there were some things they could easily improve. One thing is the “DO NOT HARM CIVILIANS!” With a very obvious icon taking up the whole screen when you point your gun near one. Another thing I didn’t quite like was the whip.. it was pretty clumsy, especially one that one quest where you had to climb a mountain using it, whilst getting attacked by an eagle… Wow, I just remembered how big this game was.

Anyway, looks good, can’t wait to play it.

17. Larington says:

Nice to see the female character that showed up just then wasn’t ridiculously proportioned or wearing gravity defying undergarments…

18. Carra says:

Games with cowboys. Why aren’t there more of these? Or pirates!

19. Wollollo says:

I want a pirate game! Pirate captain: sailing simulator, ship management, ship battles, boardings and raids, kidnapping pretty noblewomen…

20. Kadayi says:

Personally I’d like to see a Western game that was a bit more Deadwood and a bit less generic shooter. Sadly this one isn’t it, and more is the pity given visually it looks up to snuff.

21. Nick says:

Wollollo – What, like Pirates! ?

22. Howard says:

I do not understand this game.

The first instalment was so banal, generic and childish that I cannot imagine what prompted a sequel…

23. Eli Just says:

@hmm saw that too, bridge was EXACTLY out of Good the bad and the Ugly, which is extremely badass. If this game can reach that level of badassery, I’m in.

24. Davee says:

Reallly, Howard? I liked the first one. Sure, it wasn’t great, but it was good enough for me. And so far the second installment is looking promising. To me that is ;)

25. Howard says:

@Davee
    Yeah. I’m not commenting on how the game will be: I clearly have no idea. I just don’t understand haw a niche game that did very poorly in the shops has spawned such a sequel.
    The first game was basically a tech demo. Hugely linear, badly paced and swapped too much between threads and yet eveyone on RPS seems to like it. Seems to to go against the usual grain of “content is god” that this place espouses.

26. Andrew says:

Just the screenshot you posted makes you think holy crap I wanna buy this game…

27. Plushpants says:

I’m really looking forward to this. I’m another who wonders why there ain’t more cowboy games.

The one really disappointing thing about this game is that while the story is centred around two cowboy brothers, there is NO CO-OP. I can’t believe they missed this opportunity! I can’t imagine anything more fun kickin’ arse cowboy style with a friend.

28. drygear says:

That was amazing! Does anyone know what the song is in it? We need to figure out somehow. I tried googling “oh mama I’m so sorry for all the things i’ve done” and just got links to the trailer. I wonder if someone at Ubisoft knows?

Anyone remember Outlaws? That was a great game, and with great music. I haven’t seen any Western games since then that have captured the same Spaghetti Western spirit, but it looks like this might come close.
    I haven’t actually played many Western games since then though. I heard bad things about Gun, didn’t like Red Dead Revolver largely because I didn’t like their take on the Western genre, and I still haven’t gotten around to playing CoJ except for the demo.

29. jon_hill987 says:

Am I right in thinking this is yet another over-the-shoulder shooter? Pass.

30. Howard says:

@jon_hill987
    Well the first one was an FPS…

31. jon_hill987 says:

So was the first Red Faction…

That said I just got the video working and it seems to have at least some first person gun play in it, so I will have to take back what I said.

32. Smurfy says:

If it’s anything like Outlaws, count me in.

33. dazed says:

what? no blowjobs? gamefail. ;-)
    (actually looking forwards to this, as long as there is no stupid mountain-whip-climb. keep it real, gamedev.)

34. Lucky Main Street says:

I didn’t realize until I saw this that what I really want is Max Payne set in the old west.

35. Subject 706 says:

Don’t really understand the hate for the first game. Sure it DID have some annoying sequences, but as a sum of its parts, the game was loads better and less generic than most other FPSs.

And Reverend Ray was good fun.

36. etay says:

the song is called “oh mama” by “Carlton West”