The RPS Electronic Wireless Show Episode 22

It's a picture, on top of a post, all covered in writing, and smelling like toast.

Well cor and blimey, it’s a new podcast. Sorry about the delay since the last – we all lost our feet, and then were trapped by elephants. Recovered and recompiled, Jim and John spoke out loud into a recording microphone, and now offer the result to the warm folds of your ear. Sat on John’s patio, surrounded by cats and revving engines, we soaked in the warm July sun and chatted about matters of PC importance. Matters such as the nature of previewing, Burnout Paradise, and which playground games should be made for PC.

Our minds cooking in the sun a great deal of insightful, witty and erudite commentary is ignored in favour of rambling about stuff and nonsense. But through the fog comes discussion of the tragedy of John’s Burnout Paradise save, ArmA 2, and Battlefield Heroes. There’s also discussion of the leftovers of E3, Jim’s come-down from Eve, and why John rambles aimlessly when he talks about previewing.

There’s also vital discussion of neighbourhood cats, when John drew graffiti all over his car, and the role almonds play on Women’s Hour. It’s the sort of vital information you can’t afford to miss.

There’s also a podcast exclusive competition, details in the sound itself, for which you’ll want to send your entries to this link (don’t change the subject line one tiny bit or you will definitely be ignored by our giant robot sorting machine).

It’s not the loudest ever, and I’m sorry about that. I did lots of boosting magics, but you know what, that’s what your volume knob’s for. Crank it! To the max!

So get the mp3 directly from here, visit its own site here, subscribe to it by RSS with this, or get it on iTunes from here.

1. Anon says:

as of 4 minutes from article post time MP3 Dl isnt working

John Walker says:

It’s working just fine for me. Try again?

3. Anon says:

weird, it still isn’t loading

4. Jockie says:

It works fine for me, though the one linked from the ‘own site here’ hyperlink thingy takes you to an old one.

5. Anon says:

hmm, guess theres something wrong with my isp. i’ll try again later.

6. haliotabott says:

My personal opinion is that i do not like podcasts – i DO like video, even if it’s of talking heads in sub-optimal quality. Please do video instead? (also opens up Youtube and other ways to reach a larger audience, wink wink)

7. The_B says:

I’m slight offended there was no Twitter warning/question opportunity this month. I can forgive you, but know a piece of me is hurt, Walker.

8. jalf says:

I don’t suppose you could use your “don’t you know who I am” star power to get your loyal readers/listeners a discount on Burnout? :D

I’ve been itching to buy it, but I’m a bit too broke to play €33 (cheapest I can find, on play.com).
    Alternatively, I’ll just sit in a corner and feel sorry for myself.

Gnarl says:

I prefer audio to video as it is a tad easier to use whilst walking around or otherwise travelling in a method that involves looking. If you did ever do video things, it would be nice (although I have no idea if it’s signifcantly more hassle) to release audio-only rips of them aswell. Asuming it’s mostly talking, of course.

Also, the if it follows the trend of the podcast, it’ll be a grainy badly lit video of the ceiling for the first few episodes.

10. El Stevo says:

Where’s the picture of the cat?

11. Reverend Speed says:

The hide and seek game you describe in your audio file is this:

link to hidden-source.com

Either that or multiplayer Manhunt.

Oh, poor poor Manhunt 2. You were just misunderstood.

12. psyk says:

Yay another podcast was getting worried.

13. radomaj says:

“Written by John Walker”
    “Sat on John’s patio”
    You forgot to write it on the RPS account didn’t you? Or you are a supreme juournalist, like you should be, talking about yourself in third person.

14. Noc says:

Hide and Seek would totally hit the “sit around and do nothing for an extended period of time waiting for someone” crowd MMOs tend to draw.

Flashbang would do a fantastic physics-based Hopscotch game, though.

. . .

Also, where’s our cat?

15. Heliocentric says:

For the people from the kingdom of the united hmv has burnout paradise for £15. Jonny foreigner might find that information useless. I’m behind on rps podcasts, but talk of competitions might have me listen in the wrong order.

16. Tonic says:

we demand cats

17. Herpers says:

Where’s the picture of the cat!!

18. Jayteh says:

cat picture now

19. Owen says:

CAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! *wails incoherently*

20. MrBejeebus says:

Brilliant podcast, worth the wait!

Also, so much for it not being loud, I turned my headphones up to make sure I could hear it all from the off – OWWWWWWW!

CATS PLEASE

John Walker says:

Jim has the cat picture on his phone. AND HE’S NOT ONLINE!

22. Bobsy says:

(everyone knows dogs are better)

23. Ian says:

Good man, Bobsy.

24. Colthor says:

Yay, at last! And I’m leaving the house later, so that’s convenient.

In case ‘podcast vs. video’ becomes a debate: Podcast good, video bad. Because if you try and watch the video on your MP3 player’s tiny squinty screen whilst walking around – well, there will be mishaps. And if you’re not using the ‘video’ aspect for anything important it’d just be a podcast that wastes a big chunk of bandwidth. Etc.

As a compromise you could post a photo of yourselves with each podcast so that video-wanters can stare lovingly at it whilst listening. Best of both worlds, I’m sure everyone will agree.

25. MrBejeebus says:

Yay cat!

John’s right, he does have good plumage…

26. pignoli says:

Good to hear more RPS podcast action, I was beginning to think you’d all died. However, let’s get one thing straight: It’s pronounced arr-monds.

That is all.

27. kadayi says:

That cat looks exactly like how I feel in this weather

(shakes fist at heat!!!)

28. Rinox says:

Hot cat.

29. Richard Beer says:

Looks like your garden could do with a bit of a hoover, John, but I’m no expert.

Good podcast! Chuckles aplenty.

30. Jockie says:

Thats one mischeivous looking cat, he knows he shouldn’t be in your garden. He just doesn’t give a fuck.

Also, Cats > Dogs.

31. Paul Moloney says:

Hidden Source is a great game – one that, along with COD4MP, I jump into most for online shooty action these days. I particularly enjoy it when The Hidden themselves are cocky bastards who dangle corpses in the faces of the remaining IRIS characters.

P.

32. Tann says:

There’s already a hide and seek kinda game on garry’s mod. The hiders get to run around for a bit at the start and find an object to disguise as. You actually turn into that object and can run around and find a place to hide. The seekers have to find and destroy the suspiciously-placed objects. Called prop hunt or something like that.

33. Jayteh says:

hurray for cat

34. Lambo says:

There is a superb modded gamemode for Counter strike source called the Hide and Seek mod or somethiing similar. If you can find a server running it it should definetly scratch the itch John has.

Basically the terrorists at the beggining of the round select a object they want to spawn as and then go and place themselves somewhere where they can blend in or simply not be seen. I’ve had great times disguised as a phone on a counter in office while the CT’s rampage around me blasting everything in site.

Or if your feeling brave, give yourself the smallest model (the soda can) and make a dash for it to see if you can survive the rest of the round….. I think I might just go check if a server is still running it….

35. psyk says:

Hide and seek being played by mmo players nah more like fps campers.

36. MrBejeebus says:

Just a question when does that competition end?

37. Jetsetlemming says:

There’s a hide and seek mod for Counterstrike: Source called Zombie Mod (amazing title). In it, everyone spawns as humans except one guy as a zombie. The zombie guy has to run up to humans and touch them once and they turn into fellow zombies. The zombies win when they’ve touched everyone, the humans win when time runs out. The main thing the humans can do is use their guns to shoot physics objects around to create obstacles, and shoot zombies to try and push them backwards if they’re found (zombies have like 4000 health and regen, you need like the whole team shooting them to kill them).
    Of course, being a CSS mod, and subject to the CSS community, all the popular maps are extremely shitty “chase” maps where the humans have to run down block corridors, most of the time untextured, to reach the end of the map before the zombies catch up.

38. Richard says:

On the topic of “optimistic previews” I’m sure I’ve seen 3rd rate games out there that cite these previews rather than the review without indicating as such.

e.g. a preview quote from you guys that says “If they can pull this off then it’ll be the best FPS of 2009” that gets truncated to “…the best FPS of 2009” and slapped on the cover beneath the PC Gamer logo. This on a game that got a very diappointing review.

Are there any codes of ethics/approval process before using your words that these producers are bound to or does anything go?

• Kieron Gillen says:

Richard: In the UK, last I looked, anything goes. Which is why you should be really fucking careful in reviews. You can be fair/optimistic without actually giving them anything they can quote.

(Not that it stops them. I remember one hilarious one. Some RTS thingy. The advert arrived with a quote on saying “Some of the most advanced AI ever”. And we sort of blinked in the PCG office – did we say that? We didn’t think so. So we went to the review, and we didn’t. Then we went to the previews, and we didn’t. And then we found a quote in a preview, where we were interviewing one of the Devs and they say “Yeah, we’re having some of the most advanced AI ever in this”. They’d quoted something they’d said.)

KG

39. url404 says:

Thanks very much for the podcast guys.

I’m sure all the people around me thought I was insane when I was randomly lol whilst listening to this during my postprandial walk.

Also, I thought that there was no way the cat picture could live up to expectations. I was wrong.

40. Seeker says:

I’ve had to stop listening to say that I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU GUYS HAVE NEVER PLAYED HIDE N’ SEEK MOD FOR COUNTER STRIKE SOURCE OR GARRY’S MOD!!!!

Come on guys get with the times.

Sorry for the caps but i have played many games of exactly what you were describing

41. mister k says:

Probably a bit late, but virus mode for Timesplitters was similar- someone has the virus, they touch people and they get the virus, continue until last man standing. You can shoot and kill people with the virus, of course

42. N Mailer says:

“another podcast was getting worried”

“Hide and seek being played by mmo players nah more like fps campers”

This isn’t zero punctuation, you know.

43. deanimate says: