The RPS Bargain Bucket: Reborn!

After a couple of weeks off whilst Savygamer‘s LewieP was away wrestling five-hooved giant elk in Mongolia, our weekly round-up of reduced-price PC game delights returns. Any of these tickle your wickle, missus?

Fallout 3 – £13.49/€22.49/$24.99
As far as I am concerned, pretty much all the praise this game gets is entirely justified. I played it on the 360, so I guess you can all feel superior to me if you like, I’m certainly jealous of all the mods. In case you have been living in a bunker your entire life, Fallout 3 is a massive, open, post apocalyptic RPG. The combat is fun, the levelling system is very well put together, and it’s more often than not gorgeous to look at. My review here, Alec’s review here, and RPS coverage here.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion [Game of the Year Edition] Deluxe, Turbo – £12.50/$17.95
Just in case you hate guns, you could try this. It’s basically Fallout without guns. Ok not quite, but if you really like one of these two games, you’ll probably like the other. Swap post apocalyptic for fantasy, a brilliant levelling system for a fairly flawed one, and Liam Neeson for Patrick Stewart, and you’ll have a good idea of what to expect from Oblivion. This package comes with both expansions, and all of the DLC, so you’ll everything you need to pimp your horsie. You can get it without the extra fluff for £9.95/$14.95 if you prefer.

Vigil: Blood Bitterness – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49
On the one hand, this has a metascore of only 61. On the other hand, look at it. Again, on the second more positive hand, it is only one pound fifty. I’m gonna grab it methinks. Opinions anyone? Demo here.

Pinball games!
Good old games have four pinball games on promotion, with 20% off. I like the look of the one with the car on the box. I’ve never been a massive fan of pinball games. Short of 3D Pinball: Space Cadet, Pokeymon Pinball, and pinball dreams/fantasies, I’ve not really played many of them at all.

Bargain of the week
2K Huge Games Pack – £35.99/€53.99/$53.99
It’s incredible to think that for as much as EA and Ubisoft like to charge for new releases, you can get an incredible 20 games. You get Bioshock, a bunch of games with “Sid Meier’s” in the title, including Civ4 with all the expansions, Freedom Force 1 + 2, Prey, Shattered Union, and all the Xcom games. Pretty ace deal if you ask me, although I would like to take this opertunity to point out that Steam packages are a little broken. They basically punish you for having bought games previously. If you already own a game in a package, then buy the package, you are effectively paying for the same game twice, but only getting one license. It wouldn’t be too hard to set it up so that you either get a slight discount, or get a spare license to gift, like what Valve did for The Orange Box.

LewieP’s own site SavyGamer.co.uk is home to constantly-updated bargains across all formats.

1. Heliocentric says:

Majesty £3.03 impulse.

2. Heliocentric says:

Ooh, alpha prime £1.50 steam

And erm, men of war on gamersgate for £13 Again!

If you get the new red faction from gamersgate.com (rather than .co.uk) its £24 rather than £40(as it is on the uk site),and you get the old red faction games gratis.

3. Bob says:

You can pre order World of Goo retail for £9.99, which makes it cheaper then Steam

link to play.com

It’s also on Amazon for the same price. Just thought I’d post it incase anyone interested

4. frymaster says:

“It wouldn’t be too hard to set it up so that you either get a slight discount, or get a spare license to gift, like what Valve did for The Orange Box.”

I’ve seen precisely one non-OB steam package gift (can’t remember what it was, it was 2 titles – a new relese and an old one – and the old one could be gifted if you already had it). I wonder if this is a) Valve making it difficult, b) Companies not wanting to do it, or c) The companies not realising it’s an option

5. ArtyArt says:

Tried the Vigil: Blood Bitterness demo, didn’t work, end of story. Which is a pity, really. It looks interesting enough.

All those Meridian4 games on Steam are nice as well. They are not really too shiny and polished, but there’s some fun to be had for reasonable good pricing. Obulis, the Shadowground games, Chains? Go buy!

6. tapanister says:

Man, that Vigil: Blood bitterness trailer was crap. 50 seconds just saying ‘freegamer.net presents” ? Come on, this is not the way to market your stuff.

I mean, I ain’t no marketing guru or anything but some stuff should be pretty clear “don’t”s in business. As in, don’t make the people you’re trying to sell stuff to hate the guy who made your trailer so much they won’t give playing your demo a a chance.

If this makes any sense, anyway.

7. Benjamin Ferrari says:

Kings Bounty is 15,-EUR on impulse right now.

8. Heliocentric says:

I mentioned alpha prime, but the way it presents itself is tosh. But majesty and the expansion for £3 is a “ooh go buy now!” despite its age. Meridian games could all do with a second pass. Shadow grounds demonstates this by being more awesome in the sequel.

9. Persus-9 says:

I’d highly recommend Gumboy Crazy Adventures from that Meridian4 sale on Steam. It’s a way way better game than that 69 Metacritic score would lead you to believe. I wouldn’t have minded spending £10 on it and they’re selling it for £1.49.

Thanks for the Vigil: Blood bitterness tip, I hadn’t picked that one out but it looks worth a £1.49 gamble to me. It’s also worth checking out the details of the metacritic score on that one. The scores range from 95 to 32, talk about mixed reviews!

10. LewieP says:

I wasn’t too serious when I quoted the metascore as if it actually means anything.

11. Dracko says:

Funny, I thought this was a PC-centric site.

12. Howard says:

Main thing worth pointing out with Vigil: Blood Bitterness is that it ONLY works on XP of 2K. Nothing else.

Also its really pants

13. Dominic White says:

Oh dear. Someone nad the nerve to say something positive about (the multi-million-selling, almost universally loved and massively well reviewed) Fallout 3 – here come the trolls.

14. LewieP says:

Don’t worry, pretty much all the criticisms made of it are pretty justified, but (as I said in my review) I just don’t care, I still love it to bits.

15. Starky says:

And Fallout 3 isn’t available on the PC right?

Even if it was the 360 is clearly the best platform to get it on because not only do they get all that DLC, but they also get a vast supply of user generated content…

So yeah, Fallout 3 should never be mentioned or praised on a PC site given it’s a horrid sloppy port lasting features and customization that the other platforms get.

(I think I just broke my sarcasometer).

16. Starky says:

Meh, the above was at Drako, forgot to mention that

17. Dracko says:

[I am deeply unpleasant!]

18. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

And the discount on AMA II is quite nice, too…17quids@Game.co.uk. I’m surprised LewieP haven’t mentioned it in this post.

19. El Stevo says:

Dominic White:

Dracko was making the humorous point that Fallout 3 didn’t seem to get much praise from PC types.

20. bansama says:

It’s a horrible excuse of a game. And unless it’s actually been patched up it refuses to work with pretty much all versions of Vista (which is why Valve had to mass refunds on this game) and even some versions of XP. Gamewise, the demo was boring as hell too.

If you want to pick up something cheap, Chains is a far better option. It’s a solid little puzzler with a mix of thinking, frentic action and some nice physics. Even has a very nice soundtrack to go with it all.

Gamersgate are also running daily sales for most of this month and right now you can once again snap up Men of War for 11.99 (same price regardless of dollars/Euro/pounds).

The GOG pinball deal is also cool, and if you only want to pick up one, get the Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey so you can then enter the highscore competition to win a free GOG game.

Oh and those in SE Asia, Fallout 3 is only $19.99.

21. Marty Dodge says:

Fallout 3… yes, you really can’t get any better than that. I have played a few games between DLC releases and I always go back to F3. MMORPG designers should study how the logistics of that game work and copy it.

22. TCM says:

All the whining about Fallout 3 is entirely justified. But it’s still an excellent game.

23. Mister Adequate says:

24. Heliocentric says:

How do you feel about brotherhood of steel and fallout tactics then?/troll nma

25. markec says:

I dont see whats so brilliant about leveling system in Fallout 3. Only if by brilliant you mean possibility to become master of all trades when you reach lvl 20, which you become before you even pass half of the game. I would call it better leveling system then in Oblivion but still pretty unbalanced.

26. Dominic White says:

A tangential note of some interest for Fallout 3 – while the Oblivion modding community was horribly divided, the Fallout 3 modding scene have actually picked a handfull of ‘core’ mods that constantly update, and are all interoperable with each other.

Among them are:

Fallout: Wanderer’s Edition – Total gameplay rework, which makes it somehow more like STALKER and Fallout 1/2 at the same time. Faster, deadlier combat, tons more objects and drugs to play around with, a hojillion optional features, bullet-time, and sprinting features that use your Action Points, and alternative starts, so you can be a mercenary or a raider or whatever you want.

Mart’s Mutant Mod – Adds a huge amount of variety to enemy spawns. You’re unlikely to see two identical raiders in the same group. Also, adds stat variations linked to visible buffness, so if you see an extraordinarily large and tough looking super mutant, he probably has more health and strength than the rank-and-file grunts.

Classic Fallout Weapons – All the weapons from Fallout 1/2 ported over to F3, and seeded appropriately into enemy and trader equipment spawn lists. Their first-person reload animations are a bit weird, but they look fine from the outside.

Weapon Mod Kits – Adds expensive/rare-spawning upgrade packs for weapons, that let you visibly upgrade your (regular) weapon types. Want to put a silencer and a scope on that assault rifle? Go right ahead. Extended drum mag on that shotgun? Easy. Enemies can also spawn with their own customized guns, which you can strip the upgrades out of, if you want.

Those four (and the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch, which quietly fixes a ton of minor glitches and model/texture errors) are considered the ‘core’ mods now, and the Fallout Interoperability Project (FOIP) is dedicated to keeping them all working in harmony with each other.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

27. Tei says:

Another thing is really cheap this weekend is *me*, for ladies :-)

28. Stense says:

As one of the four people worldwide who still hasn’t played Fallout 3, I’m tempted by it. Does it include those magical DLC do-dads that were made for it (or are they even available for the PC version at all?) or will there be a special edition with them all in at any point in the future?

29. Tyrone Slothrop says:

As one of those eltist, ivory-tower, through-the-looking-glass-forum PC types who think that no game will ever surpass Deus Ex let me say that I love Fallout 3.

I have all the DLC’s and whilst there are obvious flaws the game is one of the best I’ve ever played. The ambiance, setting, implied visual narratives, choice and freedom are all incredible. I think it was watching the sun set between the derelict husks of tall buildings, heading south, listening to Billie Holliday on the radio and I was consumed by a seldom-felt sense of immersion and astonishment at the game world.

Reading the NMA review of Fallout 3 I was sickened by the sheer bias and congnitive dissonance in the criticisms of the game. I believe one point was that Fallout 3 was too over-the-top, a criticism that cannot be taken seriously if one considers the content of the first two games, there are more substantial criticisms but it was genuinely disappointing that someone couldn’t appreciate the beauty of Fallout 3’s world simply because of the entitlement one feels to preconceived notions.

30. Dominic White says:

@Stense – No, none of the DLC is included. Yes, they’re all available for the PC, and have finally had the bugs kicked out of them. They’re apparently going to be selling boxed collection versions of them fairly soon, too.

Of the four released so far, only the most recent two are really worth bothering with.

31. Jayteh says:

Fallout 3 just felt like a post-apocalyptic oblivion, good game but not worthy of all the praise. Maybe I just had really high expectations

32. Stense says:

Thanks for the info.

33. markec says:

@Tyrone

True Fallout 3 is graphically very good looking, but its flaws are bad story, dialogs and voice acting, unchallenging combat, bad a.i., broken leveling system and inconsistent world.

I havent read NMA review but the game it grossly over top with stuff like car wrecks that explode in mini nuclear explosions and Fat Man. Please tell me an example of such over the top elements in old Fallouts.

34. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Re: Steam, just set up a new account. My friend has like 3 accounts with half life 2 and CS something or other.

35. moyogo says:

“Fallout 3 is a very fun game, I had a blast playing it. It’s just not a Fallout game by any remote stretch of the imagination, and whilst I’m no NMA zealot, I’d still be more charitable if the thing was named something else.”

That’s basically the consensus view on NMA, welcome to our zealot ranks, zealot #582

36. MrBejeebus says:

I really annoyed at myself, i missed the bethesda deal on steam, the deluxe oblivion was £10, i missed out on it totally, steam really needs a “this deal ends on the…” thing

I’m tempted to get it on d2d, though my expirience hasnt been brilliant, i got terrible speeds when i downloaded MoW

37. archonsod says:

I actually thought Fallout 3 was a better Fallout than the first two :P
    Probably the fact that it actually had background and a consistent feel to the world prior to the war (although ironically, it should perhaps be less evident given the time lapse) rather than endless random deserts with the odd themed town and a couple of “I remember when this were all fields” walking exposition types.
    And I’ve yet to be killed by a party member deciding the best way to take care of the spore plant I’m standing next to is to wildly spray his entire clip at it. Which is a plus (although you spend that much time having to babysit them in FO 3 you end up playing as a lone hero anyway, but still)

38. cjlr says:

And erm, men of war on gamersgate for £13 Again!

Well, shit. I just bought it yesterday.

39. malkav11 says:

Fallout 3 certainly has things in common with Oblivion, but it addresses many of that game’s issues, including the way the enemies level with you (it’s not that they -don’t- in Fallout 3, but it’s more restricted and their level is set on your first venture into an area. I’ve found it virtually unnoticeable), Oblivion’s sea of generic, worthless dungeons (every location on Fallout 3’s map offers something unique and most of them have their own little stories and treasures), the levelling system (SPECIAL is enormously better than the Elder Scrolls system, if still a bit flawed and anemic compared to, say, Fallout 2’s version), etc. I’m not claiming it’s perfect by any means, but not liking Oblivion shouldn’t necessarily put you off Fallout 3.

And I have been informed that there is a Game of the Year edition coming out sometime later this year that will include all 5 DLC addons, which separately retail for about $50. So you may want to wait for that. If you can bear not having the joys of Fallout 3 in your life that long.

40. MrBejeebus says:

yeah cljr, i bought MoW for £25 off D2D a day before it went on a 1/2 price sale…

41. msarge says:

Wondering if Fallout 3 will run on my system…

42. Pantsman says:

Fallout 3? Yeah, s’pretty good.

Godawful writing, though. And whoever wrote the soundtrack should’ve spent a lot more time listening to the first two, the atmosphere was really different as a result. But then I guess it wasn’t necessarily worse, just different.

43. Carra says:

I bought Majesty + expansion on impulse for €5.00.

And yes, that package looks incredible. But I already bought Freedom Force a few weeks ago so I’d be paying twice for the same game? But I do like building games and civcity, railroad tycoon. + civ 4 and the X-Com games. Mmm…

I did love Fallout 3, €15 for Oblivion might be worth it. I’ll think about it :)

44. Tyrone Slothrop says:

@markec
    I think that the storyline/dialogue requires a more nuanced appraisal, certainly the voice acting isn’t consistent but to generalise it by calling it ‘bad’ is most unfair, especially the intonation and delivery of Malcolm McDowell, the malice of Mister Burke, Three Dog’s hyper-enthusiasm and the manner of the Ghoul’s speech. The storyline at worst tends towards genericism in the second half of the game (a lack of any real developements, a moral dichotomy and a mcguffin that both sides want), however the main storyline is only 20 hours of a 120 hour plus experience and the side-stories and characters are far more compelling (save for President Eden and Stanislaus Braun in the main storyline).

Also yes cars running on atomic power and nuke-slingshots aren’t at all realistic (though there were concepts produced of isotope-powered vehicles), however in the context of the Fallout world they’re entirely believeable (given the resource wars of the 2060s) and indeed most imaginative. I for one felt that inspite of all the ‘surreal’ elements, there was a quite a grounding sense of place and indeed internal realism unlike the previous Fallout games which brings me to your last point.

Fallout 2 especially had a torrent of the most obvious and immersion-breaking popular culture references of any game I’ve played. There’s even a word-for-word transcription of the famous Monty Python bridge scene oh and a dog who can speak and has a consciousness, something that would not mesh at all with the manner and style of presentation of Fallout 3.

45. Asystole says:

@Dominic White:

Thanks so much, your comment listing some of the ‘core’ mods is very much appreciated. Just one question as I haven’t played F3 since it first came out- are these mods compatible with the DLC? I’m interested in Broken Steel and Point Lookout specifically.

46. Dominic White says:

All the ones listed above are compatible with Broken Steel. I don’t think they’re updated to Point Lookout yet – that should happen in the next week or so.

47. Morgawr says:

Will mods work with the D2D version of Oblivion?

48. Tei says:

Camagedooom > all.

Said that… I kind of like Oblivium in a “He.. I finished already Mass Effect, what else can I play today?” kind of way.

There are some fun/or/interesting quest. Is not a world that make me *care*, or feel something strong against/for. There are some areas that are interesting, atomcity is one, the other on the battleship. But almost everything else has not flavour.

Probably is a game that is a bit too realisitic. I remenber (and my memory can lie to me) that Fallout is more… fun, more like a joke you only get after playing more than half the game. Everything in Fallout is silly because theres always somewhere Dark Humour, humor made about the death, humour about people dyiing and burning and being killed, or deformed. Theres very litte of that humour in F3. Is kind of like… imagine a Duke Nukem Forever withouth any humor whatsoever… that is Fallout 3. The unfunny Fallout of the serie.

49. Tei says:

Ohh… and feel somewhat like a JRPG. You almost *see* how theres something like a spawn table, and stuff spawn because you cross a area, is not because these stuff whas there before you.

50. Lama says:

Is the 2K game pack still available? When i click on the link that is supplied in the Steam news article I get to see the main page of the store. Is it offered only to some areas of the world? I live in the middle east. Is there any change that I can get it?