The RPS Bargain Bucket: Odes To Joy

You know that money you don’t have? You should spend it. On some sort of oversized-hat with flashing lights and propellers, ideally. Anything that’s left should go on one of the below videogames, kindly selected for us as always by that pioneer of price-grabbing, Savygamer‘s LewieP. Oh – additionally, goodly reader Judd dropped us a line noting that the controversially expensive Blood Bowl can be had by Americanly types for a reasonable $28 – boxed edition, and only valid for the next 65 hours.. That’s better, eh?

GRID – £7.49/€9.99/$14.99
I’ve revealed in previous bargain buckets that I don’t really like racing games, in general. There are some exceptions, but GRID is not one of them. I tell you what though, the demo gave me the impression that it is stylish as hell. The general presentation, in particular the HUD are pretty slick, and the idea of introducing the Sands of Time into a racing game is crazy enough that it just could work. Alec and Jim know what they are talking about far more than me here, and demo here.

BrainPipe – £8.79/€10.79/$11.99
You know how in films, particularly from the 80s and early 90s, whenever you see a character playing a fictitious game, it always involves flying along a path with brightly coloured lights, doing stuff (see here, 5:30 onwards). Well, BrainPipe is a bit like that. If that doesn’t get your attention, it also won this year’s Excellence In Audio award at the IGF, deservedly so. It has a creepy as hell menu, and the whole game has a bit of a Jeff Minter vibe to it, and is probably a good game to get massively stoned to. Demo here.

Titan Quest: Gold Edition – £8.99/€9.99/$9.99
A Diablo clone in an ancient mythological setting, this pack includes the original game and the ‘Immortal Throne’ expansion. Sadly developer Iron Lore (also behind Dawn of War: Soulstorm) shut down in 2008, but that doesn’t stop their game from being fun! The game supports up to 6 players at the same time, and I bet if you go and make a thread in the RPS forums you can find some folk to go questing with. Demo here.

Peggle – 50% off
Peggle Peggle Peggle! It’s Peggle! The painfully/gloriously addictive game about firing a ball at pegs. If you’ve not even given any of the version of Peggle a try yet, you are running the risk of being a narrow-minded ‘takes games too seriously’ PC gamer. Best remedy that now. Peggle, Peggle Nights, and the pack containing both are now half price, and there is also the recently released Peggle WOW edition as a free download. PopCap give you your first hit for free, knowing full well that you will be back for more. Giddy RPS coverage here. Demo here. Peggle!

Deal of the Week
LucasArts games – Cheap!
I have a theory. I think LucasArts have put their games on Steam with an ulterior motive. I reckon that they wanted to conduct some market research on their old titles, to see which ones to revive, and it was more cost effective (and indeed profitable) to just stick them all up on Steam for cheap, and then just track the sales data. Whatever the reason, it’s great that a bunch of classics are being offered for cheap. Of the current selection, I’d say The Dig is definitely worth checking out. The prequel to Boom Blox, it’s a pretty kickass sci-fi pointy clicky adventure. It also costs next to nothing, which is a nice bonus.

Also of note:
20% off TopWare games at GOG

If that lot’s not enough for you, do check out SavyGamer.co.uk for constantly-updated bargains across all formats.

1. abhishek says:

Decent deals this week for sure. I picked up GRID after hearing so much about it over the past year or so.

Also worth noting is that the remake of The Secret of Monkey Island will be releasing this Wednesday on Steam for 9.99$. And while it’s not strictly a Lucasarts game, the episodic Tales of Monkey Island by Telltale Games released this past week and the first episode was quite fabulous.

2. Marty Dodge says:

Oh I though Grid was bloody awful… its predecessor Dirt was far more fun. Grid was just to twitchy for my tastes, the controls on it were bloody awful.

3. Po0py says:

I recommend checking out the demo of Grid before you jump in and buy. It’s the handling of the cars that put you off a little at first. Very, very different from other games. Camera moves about behind the car a lot and in a very stylized way, which can be disconcerting. Maybe there is a way you can lock to a rigid camera position in the options but I’ve not dug deep enough yet. Having recently been playing Toca 3, I can see the similarities of what they were triying to do with this. This is very much an arcadey version of Toca but there is nothing sim-like about it. I suppose it takes a little getting used to before you can get your money’s worth. Looks pretty too.

4. James G says:

Just brought Fate of Atlantis before seeing this, pleasantly surprised at that price. Might pick up Loom as well because although I’ve played it I picked it up from an Abandonware site, its also a beautiful adventure and it would be great if Lucas Arts did something similar. (Resurrect Forge perhaps?)

5. ArtyArt says:

A small boatload of remarks:

1) wait, what? Europeans actually pay LESS for Grid than Americans? For some reason that makes me very happy.

2) LucasArts’ games appearing on Steam makes me sorry for the good folks at gog.com. Somehow I get the feeling that this is a rather hard blow for GOG. Unless they’ll get their LucasArts catalogue as well.

3) Impulse now has the whole Meridian4 catalogue reduced as well, which is interesting for two reasons. First, they have a lot more games on Impulse than on Steam, and even more important Europeans (sans GreatBritanians) pay in $, not in €… which makes some of these games much more attractive. Picked up Space Trader for 3,60 € [reduced Impulse price] instead of 4,99 € [reduced Steam price]. Sadly, I regretted that. But that’s another story.

6. Heliocentric says:

Grid is awesome from a non racing game guy. The ai will shunt you and each other and have awesome pile ups that you can cause too. Playing it with digital controls is massively limiting though, a wheel or a analogue pad are pretty much a must.

7. Alec Meer says:

Grid’s a great time. Anyone who moans about the handling is a perma-frowning grey-man.

8. Heliocentric says:

@marty
    digital controls eh?
    @poopy

9. MrBejeebus says:

MUSTN’T..BUY..MORE..GAMES….

I prefer to play racing games on console, just for the controller and because i want the best framerate

Why did you have to bring my attention the the Titan Quest bundle..I borrowed it off a friend for a few weeks once and got addicted, I’m saving for a new pc damnit i can’t buy more games.

Oh and I realised I shouldnt buy games I’ve owned previously which I loved before but when I play them again I find them boring, this is particularly true of RPG’s.

10. Monchberter says:

GRID demands that a sizable chunk of your TF2 clan plays 12 man 20 lap destruction derbies to death while your poor server sits half empty.

It’s just that addictive and such good fun. I have no bones with the controls as they are infinitely adaptable.

Note for the moaners; put the fixed driver view on and try that for some relatively shiney puke inducing sim-alike-ness

11. Xercies says:

Hmm I’m waiting until all the Lucas Arts games go into one nicely priced bundle. I could be waiting awhile though…

12. Dracko says:

Both Loom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are prime examples of how you can make a seemingly restrictive, overly linear genre like adventure games come onto their own as feeling like genuine worlds to explore and interact with all thanks to solid design. Last Crusade is an adventure in the purest sense of the word, with danger and exploration at every turn, and Loom does so much with so little, it’s a damn shame it didn’t turn into a larger series.

Point being, these two games are essential in the development of the genre as well as its potential, and I urge you to experience them as quickly as possible.

13. Bob says:

You can get Sam & Max Season One for £4.93 at TheHut

link to find-games.co.uk

14. PC Monster says:

I don’t like Peggle. There. I’ve said it.

15. Dracko says:

You monster!

16. MasterBoo says:

I still don’t understand why RPS is not covering Trine in anyway. It has been out for more than a week now, and I’m surprised that with all the love RPG has been giving to it, there is nothing on it.

Mad about the high price?

17. Smee says:

Isn’t that game in Hackers supposed to be Wipeout?

18. Heliocentric says:

I’d be all over trine like poop on a toilet brush if it was £10.

19. Alec Meer says:

“I still don’t understand why RPS is not covering Trine in anyway.”

Because this is essentially an unpaid job. We can only do what we can, when we can – it’s sadly impossible to be anything like completist here until it turns around bill-paying money. We’ll hopefully get to Trine eventually though.

20. Weylund says:

@MasterBoo: Didn’t we get an article about it just a couple days ago? It is highly priced. I loved the demo, but then I loved the demo of Arma 2, which will likely provide me hundreds more hours of gameplay for less than $20 more.

Now I just have to scratch around and find $50 to spend…

21. Carra says:

Republic commando is well worth the €9. And I’ll try out the Indie & the fate of atlantis game for €4.

I do wonder how much they’ll ask for the monkey island remake, hopefully not much.

22. Po0py says:

Grid controls are not bad. Just different from any other racing game. It takes a little while to get used to it and before you know it your winning races. It’s also a very bumpy crashy game. Thats why it’s kind of frustrating at first because your not really in tune with the controls and end up crashing into barriers and what-not. Also they AI seem very agressive, which doesn’t help matters when you are just getting started.

23. Andy says:

@Smee: I always throught it was WipeOut as well.

I bought Grid a while ago, after editing a file to turn off the motion sickness inducing (in a guy that doesn’t suffer from motion sickness) motion blur and crap Post Processing effects I found it to be quite an enjoyable racing game.

I do agree about the camera being crap though, I don’t get why alot of prominant car games (I’m looking at you GTA4) have this horrible loose camera that lags behind a on a sharp turn, effectively making you have to do a Luke Skywalker and hope their isn’t a big truck speeding down your way.

24. Andresito says:

Aztaka is 20% off on Gamersgate and the game is pretty good so far.

25. rocketman71 says:

The Dig a prequel to Boom Blox?. WTF?. The Dig has nothing to do with BB other than it was based on an script by Spielberg!

26. Dracko says:

The Dig would have benefited from changing its mediocre sci-fi ending to blowing stuff up with charged bricks, come to think of it.

27. LewieP says:

that was the joke, you win one internets.

28. Bob says:

Trine isn’t that over priced, its only £17.99 at Gamestation

link to gamestation.co.uk

How much do you lot want to pay for NEW games lol

29. Dracko says:

How long is it supposed to be anyway? £20 doesn’t seem that unreasonable for a recently released title anyway.

30. bansama says:

I’d actually advise not picking up Trine at the moment as the latest patch has basically broken the game. If you spend any XP, it won’t save information connected to what you spent it on, thus when you next run the game, you’ll have no upgrades but, you will have lost all that XP. And as the XP won’t then be available to be picked up when you replay the level, it’s gone for good on that save.

It’s also worth noting that Impulse have a huge 50% off sale on Meridian4 titles right now, included a large number of games that were not in Steam’s Meridian4 sale last week.

31. abhishek says:

Carra : Like I mentioned in the first post, the remake of The Secret of Monkey Island has been priced at $9.99.

32. Howard says:

GRiD is an awful game. Anyone who likes it is gigglingly inept at real racers.

The Ying to your Yang, Alec. Frowny Grey-man out… =)

33. Alec Meer says:

I don’t dispute for one second that I’m gigglingly inept at real racers. Braking is too much effort.

34. rocketman71 says:

@LewieP: thanks, but I want no stinkin’ internets due to bad and totally senseless jokes

35. Heliocentric says:

Howard, i like both, but sims don’t have time rewind, post spoiler warning: they should.

Having made a mistake and having to replay an the race isn’t fun, its work. Some people like work in their game, indeed i do sometimes, but not all the time. By having the rewind you can be more aggressive and race like you’d like to rather than how you should.

36. Srejv says:

Got The Dig off steam. Totally worth it. :]

37. GreenIzBezt says:

Is Blood Bowl @ $27.90 still overpriced?

38. eyemessiah says:

AIIEEIEI MY EYES – HACKERS!!!!!

39. Dominic White says:

Saying you don’t like Grid because you don’t like arcadey racers is all well and fine. Saying it’s a bad game because it’s an arcadey racer is like saying that Serious Sam is bad because it’s not Rainbow Six – an immeasurably thick statement that reveals a crushing inability to think outside your own head.

Seriously, it’s a great game at what it does. It doesn’t try to be the next Forza Motorsport – it just tries to be a spectacular, dramatic game about driving really fast and occasionally smashing cars into little pieces.

40. Tetracell says:

To anyone who has Grid, is there a decent online community for the game?

41. Dominic White says:

Last time I checked (a couple of weeks back) there were plenty of online games going via the in-game browser. It should still be chugging along nicely now.

42. Tetracell says:

That’s awesome. Thanks, Dominic.

43. Krondonian says:

Trine can be had for £15 from here: (link to shop.gameplay.co.uk) if anyone is interested.

44. hydra9 says:

Red Faction: Guerilla – £17.99 at Play.com. That’s getting my money.

45. AcidBurn says:

True story. I predicted Angelina Jolie would make it big after seeing that movie. That is all.

46. PureUncut says:

It’s cheapest to buy peggle individually from the popcap site but the complete pack is cheaper on steam. Oh the mysteries of digital distribution.

47. Trite says:

GRID is an awesome driving game and TQ+TQ:IT is an even more awesome ARPG. I absolutely loved TQ – maybe it didn’t do some things as well as Diablo (replayability, randomness, balancing), but the themes of the areas were superb and the graphics as well. I’m still sad for the closure of IL. :(

48. iainl says:

“The grid external camera is kinda pants, but i’m a driver perspective kinda guy.”

A fair comment. But then, with the game having comfortably the best internal camera I’ve ever met in a game, I can’t say it’s a large concern.

49. Him says:

Comedic coincidence: I picked up a copy of Titan Quest (sans expansion) for 97p at PC World today. Sometimes I do love that place.

50. Dominic White says:

@Him – PC world are a strange store. Sometimes they’ll have stuff selling for £40 that you could get £5 anywhere else, but now and then they’ll decide they actually want to sell something, and flip to the other side and sell something ridiculously cheap.

I remember scoring the Heroes of Might & Magic collectors box (this huge foot-square container with HOMM1-5 with EVERY expansion included, along with hardback artbook, tarot cards, T-shirt) there for only £30.

What made this all the funnier is that right by it was HOMM5 by itself for £15, and its second expansion for £20.