At Sixes And Sevens: Seven

If anything happens when you complete all seven levels of Seven, then I don’t know what it is. Because I’ve tried to finish level 6 until blood came out of my ears. However, the other six levels I found to be simple and charming (with the possible exception of 4, which seemed a little silly). But perhaps I’m doing something spectacularly stupid – I am, after all, spectacularly stupid. But I suggest having a go at the web-embedded platformer to find out for yourself.

The biggest problem, so far as I can tell, is the glitchy jump. Of course the occasional lag could be as much my stroppy connection as the game, but there’s no doubt that oftentimes hitting Up for jump has no effect at all. This is usually not a problem, but for level 6, which appears to require precision jumping across blocks that pop in and out of existence. I have sworn. Loudly.

However, that shouldn’t entirely tarnish a rather cute, short-ish 2D platformer built out of 3D blocks. It has a charming patchwork quality, as if sewn together from bits of left over graphics from other projects. Go see what you think. Via the ever lovely Indie Games.

1. Rich says:

I can’t be havin’ with all this jumping about.
    I’ll probably be chastised for saying so, but I never actually liked the old Mario Bros. games.

2. Flint says:

It reminds me of Little Big Planet set in the world of the living from Grim Fandango.

3. Starky says:

Just done stage 6, that was a pain indeed.

Didn’t find jumping up the 4 vanishing bricks that hard really, it’s just jumping left and right in timing.
    Fell off the moving block a few times and swore in frustration though.
    Took me about 8-9 attempts. Got stuck for longer on the right hand side where I kept climbing to the top of those blocks and trying to jump across to the moving block, rather than only going half way and jumping across to where the vanishing blocks are.

Still, frustrating and annoying, with music that seems designed to add to those feelings.
    The music on that block level sounded like a baby crying repeatedly in my ear, had to turn the sound off it was that distracting.

4. Ian says:

Ran out of money for level 7 and level 6 is a pain.

Doesn’t seem to want me to like it, even the easier levels.

5. Heliocentric says:

What would you give the game, say out of ten?

6. Wekeebo says:

I did level 6 after about 2 falls on the vanishing blocks seemed quite easy… But I can’t do level 3 what is wrong with me! :(

7. Starky says:

Okay so just finished it fully, the ending is pretty damn odd, heavy metal music with some German shouting combined with pictures of lots of people/animals/kids kissing.

Very… odd.

8. Bob says:

PC gaming biggest downfall, is making people use the arrows keys to move!

9. Flint says:

Arrow keys > WASD. For real.

10. Alaphic says:

Ending is somewhat poignant if you watch it without sound… And stage 6 was an enormous bitch. Pretty damn inventive though.

11. MrBejeebus says:

I’m left handed so arrow keys are win!

12. Anton says:

Still on 6, and I hurtfully miss “rewind” from Braid. The feature must be included in all action-oriented games, fast.

13. ZenMetzger says:

Cute game, but kinda sucks as a platformer, very unintuitive. For example, on level 6 there is a moving brick. I figured that when you jump on it, you will move with it, but noooo.. you have to move along with that brick, makes no sense at all.

But excluding “mother-of-bad-platformer-design” level 6, very fun.

14. Skree says:

Completed 6 eventually, but half my trouble was that it was just making me really nausous. I don’t get travel or sea sick or anything, but this was awful. Got through it though, that’s what counts, eh?

15. Mr Chug says:

The 6th level’s soundtrack was reminiscent of my headset throwing up into my ears. Wasn’t too tricky once I worked out which block to jump off though. It works very well as a manifestation of the feeling of bemusement.

16. Brother None says:

With some pseudo-philosophical messages in the sense of “no happiness without unhappiness” and “we’re all different but one day we’ll be able to live together”

Uh, thanks internet browser game? Oddly enough, that pretty much ruined any charm it had.

Cute game tho’. Kind of oddly short levels, but cute.

17. Jeremy says:

Didn’t really enjoy myself too much with that, controls didn’t feel tight enough to be a quality platformer.

18. The Devil Tesla says:

Seven is the bad game there so good games can exist in the world.

19. dingo says:

Finished it.
    Level 6 was a bitch. Didn’t help that I had to alt-tab because of retards in my back at work… :p
    Nice little time waster :)

20. l1ddl3monkey says:

@ Heliocentric: “What would you give the game, say, out of ten?”

I would give the game a good solid punch in the face for winding me up. So; about a 4?

21. Heliocentric says:

my confusing with level 6 does not sit alongside any complaints I’ve heard. The moving platform just doesn’t come anywhere near me. Broke?

22. Heliocentric says:

stuck until i read this in the comments of indie games

stage 6 is frustrating, you have to climb until the green block , jump on the left to land on the block on the left side , then you will be able to jump up to the disappearing blocks and where the moving block is… you can’T land on that block btw, you will just slide off and fall down ( up )

23. Adam says:

You aren’t missing anything by failing to see the ending.

24. Alex says:

I quit on level 2, the game was clearly cheating.

25. bigblackjesus says:

Level 5 I think it was was horrible, the one with the boulder no matter how many times I tried to make that jump from boulder to monster, he would just run off the boulder into the watery depths. Horrible little game, very frustrating.

26. bigblackjesus says:

Also level 4 with its “Keep respawning until you get lucky” theme.

27. DarkNoghri says:

They weren’t that bad, except for 6. Which I spent almost 10 minutes on before I figured out the answer to “WHERE THE CRUD DO I HAVE TO GO?!!” I didn’t really have problems with glitchy jumps. Lucky me?

Some of the others though, seem a bit luck based. Especially 7, but maybe I should have tried the other camera views.

28. Josh says:

I finally finished it. Level 1 was no challenge. Level 2 was a little challenging. Level 3 took a while. Level 4, I got lucky on it. Level 5 was easy. Level 6 was an ASS, took me 18 minutes and 23 seconds. Level 7 took me 4 tries.

29. WilPal says: