Latest Evochron Legends

Ooh, I’ve just noticed that there’s a new version of Evochron Legends out. The 1.128 update for StarWraith 3D Games’ space combat and trading game contains only minor tweaks, but I need little excuse to link to this excellent space adventure. If you’re the kind of gamer who wistfully yearns for open-ended space games of yore, then this is likely to be what you’re looking for. Unless you play it already, in which case you’ll know precisely why RPS recommends this particular corner of the gaming universe. There’s a demo on the site, which can be unlocked to get the full game. I recommend you go try it.

1. Lack_26 says:

Is it better that X3, a game I really quite enjoy (and find rather relaxing. Except when you here the hostile proximity beep and it pulls you out of SETA).

2. Biggles says:

I’m sure it’s crammed full of great ideas, but I’ve never made it past the presentation on this one. The guy really needs to get someone more visual onboard and perhaps a writer too…

3. Quercus says:

Yes, I purchased Evochron Renegade and then Legends and after playing it a bit I just couldn’t get past the unfriendly control system (trying to locate something on the nav map is a nightmare), which is a shame because there appears to be so much effort in making the game and including lots of content.
    The scale is great, the open-ended nature is great and the multiplayer is great, but the controls, GUI and graphics aren’t great.
    I’m still waiting for a decent game that carries on the style of play in Freelancer, but with the depth and variation of other space games.

4. Sparvy says:

Space sims have allways interested me, never played one though. I dont know why.

5. GJLARP says:

My main gripe with the Evochron games is that there’s no real sense of immersion in the game. I think the flying part is great, as is the Newtonian physics. It takes some getting used to, but with some common sense and a bit of patience, you should have no problem getting used to it.

However, content on the other hand seems to be lacking. Despite so many “features” being touted on the website, they’re quite trivial really. The presentation of it all is quite poor, in the sense that there is no real feeling of victory. The gameworld just feels like it is a whole bunch of scripts, lifeless and devoid of living NPCs, even though it’s quite obvious it isn’t.

Too bad, because I really wanted to like it. I was hoping it’d be more interactive, like Space Rangers, where you really get to talk to NPCs, even if the dialogue choices aren’t many.

6. PHeMoX says:

I hate it when people simply repackage their games over and over again, renaming it while it’s technically very much the same game. The basic gameplay is alright (physics are fine, dogfights are okey), but we’ve seen it all already in his previous versions.

It reminds me a lot of the 3000AD crap that made it’s way to Steam (two games).

This dev should start an new franchise and do something different and leave the Evochron stuff behind.

7. TotalBiscuit says:

Lack_26 – In short no… in long, NOOOOOOOOOOO

8. Skye Nathaniel says:

Wow, this has somehow escaped my attention, and I quite like the integrated HUD inside the cockpits. I hope that they animate well. I will try this game for that alone; it looks pretty from the screenshots.

9. Dominic White says:

While the Evochron series are an amazing feat – a one-man project developed in blitzbasic – they sadly do pale in comaprison to the latest game in the X series, Terran Conflict.

TC is basically X3 with a new interface (SO much better), a new mission system (easy to get combat jobs even right from the start), and they went and lisenced/integrated the fan-made ‘XTended’ expansion, which fills out everything, now every race has a full list of ships and equipment.

Evochron is impressive for what it is, but Egosoft aren’t resting on their laurels.

10. WCG says:

Heh, heh. I tried the X3 demo, and it was beautiful, but while I was still trying to figure out how to do ANYTHING (the manual was no use), I was quickly attacked and killed. I tried it a few times, with the same result. The game sounded great, but I can’t imagine a worse demo. Well, maybe not. It did show me very well why I should NOT buy the game.

This game sounds good, but as bad as I am with normal “real-time” combat, I’m absolutely hopeless with space sims. I never could play Privateer, or even Sword of the Stars. :)

11. Jakson Breen says:

Never played the X3 demo, but considering the company’s track record, it was probably really buggy. I do, however suggest the full game, as it’s really quite good, and there are more modifications in it, than, oh (dare I say it) HL2. Strange as it is, I always felt like something was missing from it…(intelligent friendly AI?)

As for this one, I tried the demo. I played through the first half of the tutorial. So far, I don’t like the control scheme, and the graphics are…interesting. I shall continue with it after lunch, though…

12. TotalBiscuit says:

Egosoft games are extremely ambitious and yes, frequently launch with bugs due to their sheer size. However Egosoft’s post-launch support is incredible, timely and solid bug fixes, frequently content updates which usually include at least one DLC-sized free micro-expansion per game and they support their modding community to the point where they actually hired some of them to help make X3 Terran Conflict. Terran Conflict is incredible at this point, since it’s been patched and micro-expanded, so is WELL WORTH your attention.

13. Melf_Himself says:

I recommend you don’t try it. I played the demo the last time RPS plugged it. It was unbelievably slow and boring.

14. shiggz says:

I bought x3 on release day and but never really played it. All these space games need to have a box to check
    [X] Freelancer controls
    Ive got terran conflict installed and have tried it a few times like evochron and eve, but i just find myself fighting the controls constantly to make basic things happen. Menus are complicated. Controls incoherent. And their Menus never scale right only on a 1680×1050 screen and i’m squinting to read. To say nothing of typically large amount of junk on screen so you cant tell whats important. I Love the space genre but just cant find a game worth playing. I’m tired of freelancer and its mods after all these years.

15. Bullwinkle says:

What shiggz said.

I’ve been burned twice buying X2 and then X3:Reunion and giving up on both because of their absurdly lame mouse controls. It’s unbelievable that Egosoft simply cannot code a better control system.

And yet I desperately want to believe all the claims about X3:TC’s improved controls. God, I’m desperate.

16. Dominic White says:

I really can’t reccomend the original release of X3. It was good once you managed to get past the initial learning curve, but that curve was more of a brick wall than anything.

Terran Conflict has all the content of X3 (except for the entire skippable plot, replaced by a series of smaller, more relevant racial campaigns), plus a ton more, but they’re reworked the interface and tutorial stuff to make it much easier to get into.

That said, it’s one of those games where you really should read the manual (heavily updated for TC as well) before starting. There’s a LOT to the game. It’s like Dwarf Fortress in space at times, only instead of ASCII and reams of stats, it’s beautiful shiny bumpmapp3d 3D…. and reams of stats.

17. TotalBiscuit says:

If you play space-sims with a mouse you deserve everything you get.

18. Waltorious says:

I agree with GJLARP for the most part. The game has great mechanics, but the universe really feels lifeless. This didn’t completely spoil my enjoyment of the game, however, because I began to realize exactly how much hidden stuff there is to find… from secret storage containers to hidden planets and even entire star systems. Actually finding it can take a while and be a bit of a chore, but the game is designed for players who will play it for a REALLY long time, so there’s still new stuff to find even after lots of play. I should also point out that there is online co-op or competitive play that makes things a little more interesting, but typically there aren’t a whole lot of players on at any given point.

Overall I had fun with it for a short while but then got bored. I might come back to it if I get the hankering for some space-trading though.

19. undead dolphin hacker says:

After Space Rangers 2 (ok, arguably Star Control 2), I can’t do 3-D Elite clones anymore.

The 2-D ones are just… higher quality games. Almost by rule.

20. Shadowcat says:

If we’re discussing other games, then it would seem worth mentioning that “I-War 2” uber-mod “Torn Stars” (or rather, the “Unstable Space” component) is getting a release shortly. It’s not ‘finished’, but it sounds like there’s a heap of goodness in there.

link to torn-stars.com

“I-War 2” still puts most space sims to shame, IMO, so hopefully this is exciting news to at least a few people here!

21. Paul says:

@TotalBiscuit I was under the impression X3:TC was designed primarily to be used with a mouse.

22. BB says:

X3:TC is a hunk of crap and I am the one to know. Can we not talk about it please?

23. one f jef says:

BB: X3: TC is quite amazing actually, but it was extremely buggy in the original release and even some of the subsequent patches.

Currently, at 2.1, it’s not only playable, but flat out amazing.

24. TotalBiscuit says:

BB – All that indicates to you is that you have no taste what-so-ever. X3:TC is the best sandbox space-sim since Elite and anyone who thinks otherwise is a big, casual baby. Probably owns a Wii unironically too.

25. Count Valar says:

I’ve bought all the games from this guy. They’re good games in their own right, but they lack immersion (hard to define, I know). And I seriously think he should expand it along the lines of Starshatter and X3 with capitalship-focused, more strategic, gameplay. The dogfight, fighter-only thing, has narrow appeal for me.

X3 is obviously an excellent game, in all respects, with much higher production values, but that shouldn’t come as a surprise.

26. Dominic White says:

@Paul – Yeah, actually. The mouse controls in Terran Conflict are really good. I’ve found them more precise than using a joystick/gamepad, for the most part.

It’s still a game with a significant learning curve, but it’s probably the biggest (and most moddable – dear god, there are THOUSANDS of mods and plugins available for it – it’s like Oblivion in space) game in its genre right now. Worth the time investment if that’s your thing.

27. Bullwinkle says:

TB: “If you play space-sims with a mouse you deserve everything you get.”

Good point. Because that’s just what a dying genre needs: high barriers to entry.

28. Dominic White says:

I don’t think a £15 gamepad (just get a 360 USB pad – it’s the official standard PC one now) is a high barrier to entry for anything. And if you’re one of the people who still refuse to buy one, then you deserve all the mockery you can get.

29. Bullwinkle says:

Er…I’m certain you have a really good reason for that comment. Besides the standard.

30. surlyben says:

“I-War 2″ still puts most space sims to shame, IMO Boy, howdy! I never could get back into those non-newtonian sims after I-War. Kept crashing into enemy ships every time I turned to put my guns on ’em

31. Shadowcat says:

surleyben: Me too :)

Even the demo for the hugely-praised “Freespace 2” got uninstalled from my PC rather promptly once I found that I could slow my ship down to a stop, but not continue that acceleration and travel backwards.

To my I-War-spoiled brain, that was utterly ridiculous.

32. tals says:

Just bought this game, documentation side is poor – although there forums are very helpful. Graphics i’m happy with and whilst some of it could be clearer it’s so far not detracting from the game. Need to play more before I can get any lasting impressions but at the moment i’m enjoying the ride. I see no reason why the 200mb or so download wouldn’t be worth anyone trying – even if the poster himself didn’t like it. That is the point of a demo :)

33. Jim Rossignol says:

“even if the poster himself didn’t like it”

Eh?