We Might Be Dreaming: Lucidity

Cor.

A new trailer emerges for the first project from the indie-influenced LucasArts Workshop, Lucidity. Bearing quite a lot in common with the previous game footage, it also contains a few twists of its own, not least the one 55 seconds in.

Once again you can see the Tetris-as-platform concept, and the gorgeous art design, but also some stranger moments and further suggestions of the dream-like world in which it will be set. Enjoy.

There’s a pleasingly frank discussion of the process of making the game on the LucasArts Workshop site, the latest post explaining their fear of the game being too short, and the implementation of the peculiar sounding Bonus Level Outreach Program (or BLOP) which will apparently reward the hardest working players. They promise more details to come.

1. LewieP says:

Needs more lightsabres.

When was the last time a game I was excited about bore the lucasarts name?

2. The Sombrero Kid says:

mmmmm

3. nine says:

OMG TETRIS PLATFORMER

4. fuggles says:

wow, if 55 seconds is the bit I think it is, then yeah, total rewind and double take. Would very much like to know what the end music is.

My concern with this game is that so far, it doesn’t look exactly hard. I guess it ultimately depends what determines your distribution of parts in the level. Interest levels are piquing though…

• Jonas says:

Yeah it sounds like some sort of Swedish lullaby. Very creepy, at least when used in this context.

• Cedge says:

This game is looking fairly astonishing. I’ll surely buy it next week. I’m surprised about how comparatively little internet-fapping there is about it.

@nayon, abhishek, and mrrobsa: The girl, Sofi, walks to the right continually. The player’s interaction with the game is entirely though placing the platforming pieces for her to bounce into.

@jsutcliffe and anyone else wondering about price: it’ll be $10, according to the official Lucasarts twitter.

@Jonas: you’re pretty close, sir:
      link to lucasartsworkshop.wordpress.com
      link to lucasartsworkshop.wordpress.com

• Hybrid196 says:

@Cedge Thanks for the link to that song. Eerie and creepy but very cool.

5. Owen says:

Certainly interested in this ‘un. Not convinced I’ll be buying it yet….but certainly very interested.

I think it’s one that’ll definitely require a demo or at the very least a ‘Wot i fink’.

6. toni says:

i love it sofar. run, lucy, run.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

@Fuggles

It may not be hard, but it also depends on the controls. I hope it’s easy to choose and place a form, given that you’ll have to do that all the time. If she goes too fast for you, it’s just frustrating. If she goes too slow it’ll be too easy.

8. Tei says:

Everything on this game “looks” a step beyond amazing.. OTHER THAN… the gameplay, and the UI elements. I will be a good game to recomend to other people, IF is fun, and IF womens like it. If is boring, and a pain to play it, it will die, and it will be sad for such a obvious quality title. If womens don’t like it, then what? ..will you play this?. It will be again like that indie dude, that created a absurdoly cool title, only to see his game much less popular than a bad frogger clone. Making a fantastically good game is not enough, you have to *connect* with the people that will love it.

9. Mike says:

Is this looking a bit repetitive? It looks like a cute story, but I’m not sure about the gameplay.

Also is that a Belle and Sebastian reference or am I forgetting lyrics.

10. abhishek says:

While I love the art style and the general motif that the game is going for, I am seriously unimpressed by the actual gameplay we’ve seen in the two trailers. I really do hope there is more than simply placing objects in the way of a character that moves on it’s own.

I’d take Machinarium over this anyday.

11. nayon says:

Is this on-rails? I mean do you choose to move your character?

• abhishek says:

It looks that way to me, but I could be wrong.

• mrrobsa says:

I hope that if it is ‘on rails’ with the character constantly driving forwards that they implement that nice ‘cardboard flying off into a vortex’ effect in the cutscene into the gameplay so that the character is running from a collapsing dreamworld. That’d look ace.

12. Shadrach says:

Song at the end for those not inclined to Swedish: “Byssan lull, i tredje båten sitter vi tilsammans”, its from a beautiful old lullaby.
    link to lucasartsworkshop.wordpress.com

Graphicswise it looks beautiful, but not sure what I think about those platformer elements, looks a bit like Littlebigplanet?

13. headhole says:

It looks a lot like Builderland, an ancient Loricel game that I played on the CPC 464 back in the day. The art style is lovely, sure, but I’m hoping for more variety in the puzzle elements.

14. jsutcliffe says:

I’m very interested in this, but a cheapskate. Hopefully it won’t be more than about $15.

15. pilouuuu says:

I’m glad it has nothing to do with Star Wars and that Lucasarts are finally doing innovative stuff.

16. Niklas says:

The whispered-style singing in the end is Swedish and translates something like: “hush hush, in the third boat we sit together”

17. ulix says:

Let me just say that lucid dreaming is awesome. Meaning knowing your dreaming and acting accordingly (sometimes even being able to completely control the dream-world – which never quite works for me…).

I have to train more ;)

18. Pantsman says:

So this is basically Korsakovia for Kids, eh?

19. Lambchops says:

It just looks so pretty that I think I’m going to be tempted to buy this.

20. SH4RKY says:

Looks and sounds nice. Ill grab it if its the right price… Wonder how much variation the concept has. Assume it will only last a few hours so should be about 5-8 quid?

…Ill expect to have to pay 15 then.

21. Cedge says:

@Jonas: you’re pretty close, sir:
    link to lucasartsworkshop.wordpress.com
    link to lucasartsworkshop.wordpress.com

22. JonFitt says:

Cool. I will definitely put this on my watchlist.

• Meatloaf says:

Most definitely.

I’m just a bit put off by the yellow objects. I would rather have them blend in with the scenery a bit more. Ah well, it’s beautiful nonetheless.

23. somnolentsurfer says:

I thought it looked more Pipe Mania platformer than Tetris platformer. It does look pretty though. Hope it’s good. It’d be nice to think pleasant thoughts about LucasArts again.