Art Of Murder: Cards Of Destiny Trailer

Glooooooooooooooooooooomy.

It seems there’s going to be another Art Of Murder game. After the original was so dodgy I was a little surprised to see a sequel earlier this year. I never did go on to play the full game after the demo. Some other people must have though, as there’s now to be a third in this series, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny.

Once more FBI agent Nicole Bonnet is investigating the crimes of a serial killer, who, it seems, is once again trying to murder her. She’s very un/popular among serial killers. But it hasn’t so far proved a successful series, even failing to score highly with the loony fringes of hardcore adventure gaming fansites. It’s been due to a combination of some completely daft guess-based puzzles, a weird mix of glum murder schlock and being forced to do office work, and a horrifically poor translation. Yet there’s absolutely room for grim murder mystery adventuring, so if they’d only put a lot more effort into creating a coherent story they could finally have something. Maybe it will be third time lucky, who knows. My hopes aren’t high with a theme as achingly overdone as a killer leaving playing cards behind. The fourth game will surely have to be tarot-themed. Here’s the début trailer:

1. Baboonanza says:

I’d much rather have another ‘Art of Theft’.

Has there ever been an actually ‘good’ detective game released? One where you find the clues, interrogate the suspects and then present a case? It seems like an idea with lots of potential, especially given the genres cinematic history.

John Walker says:

The Police Quest series. A long time ago.

• Gnarl says:

Phoenix Wright. Bit too much of a gritty world for some though, really focuses on the real life situations.

• Baboonanza says:

I attempted to play one of the Police Quests a few years ago. I never did get on very well with the Sierra style of adventure games (even when they were released) and I just couldn’t stomache it. Utterly unforgiving and unnessecarily difficult.

Also, I have thought of one of my own: BladeRunner. Essentially a film-noir detective game set in the future.

• diebroken says:

There already is a fine Blade Runner game using voxels (last millenia, when they were all the rage – see: Outcast). I wonder if it ever got re-released on DVD; swapping those 4 CDs can be a hassle sometimes (but I wouldn’t expect anything less from another quality Westwood Studios game :)

• diebroken says:

Ah, thanks for the link – only played through it a couple of times, the most memorable scene being the dance… ;)

• Pantsman says:

@Baboonanza: Culpa Innata was a true detective game, which mostly consists of gathering evidence, choosing which witnesses/suspects/acquaintances to interrogate, and then presenting a hypothesis as to what actually happened and who did what.

Quite a good game overall I thought, though you’ve got to be willing to deal with a handful of rather traditional adventure game-style puzzles and the usual low-budget-eastern-game batshitness of the animations and story.

2. Iskariot says:

I for one <3 the Tex Murphy series, though not quite a detective game.

3. Matosh says:

“the loony fringes of hardcore adventure gaming fansites”?

You make it sound like hentai games.

4. Risingson says:

And Still Life, despite its flaws.

btw, i didn’t say anything before… I retire EVERYTHING i’ve said about Machinarium. Everything. And I confess that I talked without knowing.

5. diebroken says:

I love the intro to the first one – “I have… the first operational task for you… you’ll go to the bar around the corner and bring me some coffee.”

Classic.

6. Berto says:

Never got into Art of Murder games. Seemed like a badly done Still Life wannabe.

7. Octacon100 says:

Anonymous Coward said:

HA! Pretty sure that's sarcasm. Still it's a great adventury game. And pretnding you're a laywer (although a shticky one) while riding the train? Priceless. One of the great DS (whoops not PC, unless you are shifty and get roms) game series.

8. Tang says:

Great link, I loved that game at the time, got a few of the endings on multiple playthroughs. Nice to read someone else playthrough it. :)

9. duel says:

weirdest. trailer. ever.

this looks like it wants to be Heavy Rain.