Available And Demoed: Metal Drift

When the human race finally leaves the Earth to live as gaseous nano-clouds amid the stars, our supermarket trolleys will reveal their hidden sentience and rebuild themselves as a race of gladiatorial destructo-borgs. This, you understand, is not the back story to Metal Drift. It should be. I certainly experience metal drift with most of the trolleys I end up wrestling round Asda as we collect ready-to-decay food for our weekly engorgement. One day, when I am in charge of the back story of all futuristic combat games, things will be okay. In the meantime you’ll have to make do with the meagre efforts of the developers, who explain their Metal Drift thus: “a vehicular sport combat game set in a distant future.” That doesn’t explain my motivation, but okay, we do expect vehicular war in the future. In fact, we can expect it right now, because the demo is on Steam.

1. Riesenmaulhai says:

I really do hope that one day in the near future there will be more posts to find tagged as ‘it’s odd because I actually told myself that all observational comedy based on trolleys was basically rubbish and here I am using it myself’.

2. Unrein says:

Wait… Is that trolley bit a Terry Pratchett reference?

3. Fede says:

Nice tag (“it’s odd because I actually told myself that all observational comedy based on trolleys was basically rubbish and here I am using it myself”), but Alec’s “horribly confused homoeroticism” is still unbeaten :)

4. Gnoupi says:

So far, from what I have played (like 6 hours), I can say that I love the game.
    Movement takes a game or two to get used to, as well as the aiming (turret is separated from the tank body, but turning tank turns the turret too). But once you got used, you really can enjoy a great sport/racing/shooter game.

Weapons feel great, at least when you unlock higher ones. First one feels a bit “pew, pew”, at first, but trust me, it gets better since already the second weapon.

In general, game feels intense, by mixing a ball game and a shooter. So you get the stress moments of reaching the goal without getting shot, and of course, the cheer pleasure of shooting one just before he scores :D

A great buy for me, at a very cheap price for the given fun ;-)

5. Dr. Strangelove says:

The screen shot reminds me 1996, Jolt , Virtual World and Martian Football (Red Planet).

6. ChaosSmurf says:

Does this demo actually work >.>

7. Hypocee says:

What with turrets and weapons and such the gameplay’s obviously different, but the design of the tanks and environment in that shot gave me an intense blast of Microsoft Hover deja vu.

8. Hypocee says:

Oh, and apropos of little, we’re still waiting on a Rocket Jockey remake, Every Multiplayer Game Developer In The World.

• GJLARP says:

Yes please. Rocket Jockey is one of the best games ever made.

9. linfosoma says:

I’ve got this game, it’s really fun and fast paced in a full server. Me likey.

10. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Bah, another Steam exclusive. That really ticks me off. Of course it all might be so much easier if I’d just give in and get Steam, but I just don’t want to. *grumpy*

11. ZIGS says:

Don’t give in, you’d be supporting a platform meant to explore the Europeans

• Thermal Ions says:

And we don’t want to be exploring Europeans – it just gets very messy the deeper you go.

But yes, we Australians have the benefit of usually (MW2 exception) getting exploited less than you Europeans.

• Schmitzkater says:

Yes, it’s best you don’t explore us too much, for we hide a terrible secret. A terrible secret I tell you!

12. Shadowcat says:

ZIGS: The mid boggles.

Hmm-Hmm: Trust me; even if you do get Steam, it will still tick you off no end when games are exclusive to it.

13. provillus Reviews says:

Provillus natural hair loss treatment now available for Australian, American, Canadian and UK’s Men and Women . Order here for your 90 Day Money Back Guarantee. http://www.Managehairloss.com

14. stormbirnger951 says:

[Bland generic product name] is now available from [Bot Central]. [Bot Central] does it’s best to annoy you by posting stupid comments on a great website. Please visit http://www.thisisaripoff.com for quick kick to the ‘nads.

RPS, I think your CATCHPA is broken. Or there’s someone sad enough to actually type this shit out.

” provillus Reviews says: