How My Grandfather Won The War

My grandfather won the war by firing enormous shells at Germans, but it takes all sorts.
Schizoslayer pointed this at this game from Casual Game compo. OneMrBean’s How My Grandfather Won The War is basically Nemesis as viewed through a children’s wall painting. By firing a paint splatter ahead of you, it removes anything hostile and instead shows something calmingly pacifistic. It’s really quite a beautiful effect. For me, that’s about it – for a game in the casual project, it doesn’t really have nearly enough restart points. Replaying the undemanding bits at the start of a level before you get a chance at the trickier parts hasn’t interested me since the Amiga days. Still – well worth a quick play. It is a beautiful effect.

1. Baboonanza says:

Ughn. It’s a cute idea that’s completely ruined by the poor execution.

– Recharge is much too long. The game would be much more enjoyable if you could fire a bit more willie-nilly.
    – It’s too hard. Mainly because of the recharge time but also there is no need for limiting lives, it’s supposed to be a casual flash game!
    – The text that appears when you die, while clearly meant to add character and ‘cuteness’ to the game I found to actually uniformly annoying and unclever.
    – It’s too hard for the amount of fun it is to actually play. I’d never want to repeat large sections of it.

2. Dominic White says:

The problem is that while this has a lovely art style and an interesting weapon mechanic, it somehow manages to forget 30 years of evolution in shmup design.

I like my scrolling shooters hard. I like bullet hell. I like Touhou and I like Ikaruga. I want to weave in between ten thousand shots and come out without a scratch… and yet this game is hard, and unfairly so. Why? Well, the clever weapon mechanic is part of that. The fact that if you charge up a shot and miss, you’re effectively defenceless for a while. The fact that some things can be painted (spikes), but others cannot (walls), and the problem that your planes hitbox covers the entire thing, yet you can be killed by a single pixel of something damaging, even something you’ve 99% covered with safe-paint.

It’s frustratingly poorly designed, and to pass something like this off as casual? Well, that’s just crazy. I did like the ‘Bombs are not candy’ death message though.

3. Max says:

Completely ruined by the lack of save points in the bomber segment.

It’s also annoying how your plane shoots forward when you fire. I died many times because I only covered the back of an enemy in paint and crashed into the front of them.

Cooper says:

‘Small Worlds’ is by far the best from this round of the compo. How much you can call it a ‘game’ is debateable, but for whiling away a lovely 10 minutes of lunch break, it was fantastic.

link to jayisgames.com

I found How Grandfather Won the War a tad too difficult. For some reason, though, when I died twice it propelled me forward to a boss battle, without any notice, which was odd. When that foiled me, I could continue from the start – so at least it’s not punishing in terms of continues. But, yes, strangely frustrating for a ‘casual’ game.

5. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Agreeing with these guys. Really cool concept/design/aesthetic but I can’t get anywhere into it to enjoy it.

6. PAK says:

Just wanting to thank Cooper for pointing me in the direction of “Small Worlds.” A…ma…zing. RPS should definitely cover it. While the art direction for “How My Grandfather Won the War” is cute, the demonstration “Small Worlds” makes of the atmosphere and storytelling potentials for this medium of ours are very important.

7. bill says:

really nice art style… but it relies a bit too much on knowing what’s coming next. If you get to some points without paint, there is no way to progress.

The best way to play seems to be to not use the paint, and just dodge everything… which is fun… but kind of defeats the point ;-)

PS/ It doesn’t seem to restart or force you to go back anymore….

8. mund says:

Did anyone else experience an odd perception effect after playing it? The columns were swirling when I came back here.
    Yeah, it seemed I could get through quite a bit of it without paint, I think painting should the casual part of it, and people wanting a tougher experience could refuse to use it. It’s by no means casual the way it is now though.