If Only You Could Talk To The Humans

A new game-footage trailer for Ubisoft’s game tie-in for sci-fi film Avatar has turned up on BigDownload, and tells things from players fighting from the alien side of the conflict. I’ve posted it below. The footage is set up by Patrick Naud, the executive producer, who explains that the game allows you to fight the conflict from both human and Na’Vi perspectives. Fairly predictable-looking action stuff follows, with the sticks and bows giving it a tinge of Turok. That said, we’ve heard that the full game is actually looking fairly promising. Not long to wait to find out for sure, of course, as it’s out on 4th of December.

1. underproseductor says:

Not interested.

2. Warth0g says:

I have a funny feeling that this will be a better game than it will a film. It’s easier to accept smurfs in space in a game than it is in a movie somehow… I guess the limits of the suspension of disbelief are greater in games?

• duel says:

good point! it seems like the premise for avatar would find itself more at home in a video game rather than a mainstream film.

3. dartt says:

The humans are dead.

• Stupoider says:

Aaah, so the title is a Flight of the Conchords hint! :D I didn’t notice.

• Vandelay says:

Don’t know anything about Flight of the Conchords, but I would have thought the title was a reference to the comment someone made about Doom, “If only you could talk to the monsters.”

• dartt says:

Heheh, I assumed it was a reversal of the talk-the-monsters criticism of Doom but it also made me immediately start singing The Humans Are Dead.

• Vinraith says:

Yeah, FotC is what immediately sprang to mind for me too, I certainly hope that was intentional.
      @Vandelay
      Don’t know Flight of the Conchords, eh? Do yourself a favor and correct that little oversight as soon as you can. Here’s a reasonable starting point:

4. aoanla says:

Vandelay said:

That would be whoever mocked my comment about how I’d rather Doom 3 had taken more pains to emulate “cerebral” FPS hybrids like Deus Ex, rather than just reheating the B-movie aesthetic of the original game but worse in almost every way (including the failure to even do System Shock style audio logs right).

5. Karhax says:

This game looks very meh

6. Persus-9 says:

Hmm switching sides half way through the game eh? I’ve a hazy recollection of another game with that plot device recently…

Bad puns aside I’m a little disappointed. The one thing I actually liked about the demo at E2 (Eurogamer Expo) was the fact the bad guys where all these pretty brightly coloured animals rather than the usual collection of hideous horrors. If those animals are actually the good guys then the design becomes horribly twee rather than nicely twisted. I’m afraid to say my excitement level for this game just went from very slight down the near zero.

7. CMaster says:

Played it at Eurogamer, wasn’t overly impressed really. Poor performance (on the PS3 at least), combined with somewhat unobvius inital section. Once on foot, its a linear-corridor shoot, with some MMO-style missions that you pretty much seem to be certain to do anyway. These grant you XP towards gear upgrades, in what seemed entirley superflous addition

I dont think it will be terrible, but I think it will fail to do anything interesting with the setting or make anyone particuarly excited about it.

8. UK_John says:

yet ANOTHER shooter…. Who cares! Seen my thread?

9. Strapilus says:

I know! Another damn shooter masquerading as an RPG… I’m so fed up of this trend…

10. Lanster27 says:

Hm after watching the first trailer about helping the humans, it looked like a generic fps with good graphics. Now that they introduced playing as alien, it actually looks like a hack-n-slash, which greatly bump the attention for me. FPS and hack-n-slash blend, not much games in that mix eh?

11. kwyjibo says:

The whole Avatar concept looks lame. Dancing with the fucking Smurfs.

I’m getting really tired of film company executives telling us how 3D is the new must-see, and the inevitable bullshit, live in harmony with nature, respect indigenous races message Avatar will have.

The humans should just fucking glass their planet. Or install some citadel based fertility suppression field, while genetically engineering the blue natives into subservient mind controlled soldiers.

12. Heuvel says:

I second that!

13. Calabi says:

I third that, planet glassing it is.

14. Arseholios says:

Isn’t that the same guy in the Just Cause 2 video?

Avatar movie and game looks dumb.

15. Dominic White says:

I’ve said it before, but this looks like a more lightweight, less interesting version of Lost Planet 2. Bring on the heavyweight stomping, Capcom.

16. prom dresses 2010 uk says:

I’m glad to know this blog. Two big thumbs up, man!