Shattered Horizon To See “Moonrise”

Astronaut shooter Shattered Horizon will get a (free) four-map expansion in the near future. Testing on the new maps will begin soon, which is a good thing, as interesting space-levels are one of the best things about the game. “Selected players will help us test the new Moonrise levels from a very early stage,” says design lead Antti Summala, who we interviewed last month. “Level design for zero gravity combat is a big challenge and we are looking forward to having real players help us create new experiences that cannot be found in other FPS games.” The game is out now, and can be bought directly from the Shattered Horizon site. Check out my Eurogamer review for a verdict. There are also going to be Steam guest passes for existing players, soon.

1. CMaster says:

One map demo pretty please.

2. Alexander Norris says:

Sadly, because of the nature of the beast, a one-map demo would be pretty bad for their sales numbers (you can look at the playercounts on some of the Battlefield games’ demos to see how and why people are perfectly willing to play one map 24/7 for free instead of paying for a game).

However, as soon as Gabe rolls over in bed to punch the right button, the people who bought the game should be given a few three-day guest passes each. When/if it finally happens, and if this post is still being commented on then, I’ll probably see who wants one and hand out whichever ones I have left.

• kwyjibo says:

I’m sure there’s a subset of people who would carry on playing the demo and skimp on the full game.

But there’s also untold thousands out there who won’t touch the thing until they’ve played the demo. A one map demo is very easy to do. It might be necessary for players to taste this thing due to 3D movement concept. Guest passes would help, but I reckon that a free weekend to coincide with the DLC launch would be a real winner – that is, if the game is any good.

According to their stats page, there’s around 150 players online and only 8 servers. They need to improve those numbers. Even if I were a fan of the concept, I’d need greater player numbers than that before leaping.

3. Smee says:

Problem: I’d really like to play this, but can’t really be bothered to upgrade to Windows 7 to do so.

4. Electrophotonic says:

I pre-ordered this game right after I seeing the Raid of Moondust trailer (link to youtube.com) and noticing what great community presence Futuremark has. I haven’t regretted it one bit, this is probably the most fun and addicting multiplayer shooter I’ve played to date and the devs are awesome. Being a total space geek helps too…

Sadly there’s been a real lack of active players the last week (most likely due to MW2), with only a handful of full servers in the serverlist in the evenings. The guest passes can’t come soon enough.

Jickelsen

5. Lilliput King says:

When a dev goes to the effort of releasing free content and engaging with the community to the extent futuremark seem to, it really makes me want to try their game more, because I’m tiresomely predictable. We shall see.

6. linfosoma says:

I dont want a demo, I want a benchmark to see how it runs.
    I want a guest pass =(

7. GB says:

Same here. It’s pretty ballsy/surprising/insane that this game doesn’t support Windows XP. According the Steam’s survey less than half of Steam users can even play this game and XP is still by far the dominant OS among its users.

• GB says:

*Same here being in response to Smee’s comment about having to upgrade Windows to run the game

• Thiefsie says:

Yes and no… it is a niche game to begin with… and perhaps it avoids issues like were found with Crysis running on vista/xp servers because of the enhanced physics/graphics or something?

• Kenny says:

Don’t the current steam hardware survey results predate the win7 release?

Alot of people stuck with XP because Vista on release was suposedly complete shite.

Windows 7 on the other hand is quite good and I suspect many gamers either already have (like myself) upgraded or will in the near future upgrade to Win7

8. Thiefsie says:

Yeh I am on the fence with this one… would like a small level demo or something with one gun to try out how it runs and what I think of the movement. The community size is perhaps more of a worry also as none of my friends seem to be into it… though that’s never really stopped me before… I just hope enough ded servers stay around in Aus for a while.

9. Inanimotioon says:

If anyone has purchased this game and has a guest pass to spare I would LOVE to try it out.
    Since the first trailer I’ve been really interested in this game, but just don’t have the $20 to drop in the case that I don’t like it.

antonb321@yahoo.com is my steam account

If I do happen to get a guest pass I will be forever greatful. Thanks!

10. osici says:

There are four levels and one gun (with multiple firing modes), so a time limited trial is really the only demo they can do.

11. Wal says:

i’m pretty cheapo when it comes to buying games, usually get buyers remorse fast

but this game is awesome, the community is small, but still always a few servers hoppin, for 20$ it’s pretty hard to beat, especially if you’re a tribes lover, i’d give my keys away, but i have to talk friends into it too! :P

12. Howl says:

I thought this was a great game. It has a beautiful, unique atmosphere. I think it’s going to have a lot of trouble getting noticed with MW2 and L4D2 hitting the shelves so soon after release though. This is one to buy in 6 months time when it’s on special offer on Steam and we’re in a gaming drought.

13. Mr. Boh says:

I’m really enjoying this one. It’s a shame there are so few people playing it but as Howl mentioned it was not the best time to release it. I guess high system requirements and the necessity to have vista/7 doesn’t help.

I’d be happy to send out a few guest passes as well, whenever Steam feels like giving them out.

• Mr. Boh says:

Ah, forgot to mention – it seems like the Futuremark games studio might be something like Tripwire in that they talk to their community and seem to be intent on immediate fixes to problems and free content in the future. At least here’s hoping!

• Wal says:

they’re pretty awesome so far

14. Wedge says:

If only the gameplay wasn’t of the quick shooty deathing type, I might be interested. Unfortunately I really have little tolerance for the high twitch fast kill sort of shootins =/.

• Ace says:

its not that much of the twitchy sort if you don’t want to.

whenever i get into twitchfests in the game i get killed pretty quick, but i tend to be on top of the list because i creep around and kill people with my suit off. theres a lot to the game really, and you can enjoy it without being a good shot.

15. Tyshalle says:

For what it’s worth, the Eurogamer review pretty much sums up the good and bad of the game. Honestly it’s more fun to just float around and mess around with the space-gimmick aspect of the whole thing than it is to actually engage in combat. Maybe this is partially because I haven’t played a multiplayer shooter without classes in a very long time, and this is the first one I can think of that only has one weapon to it, but both of these things seem pretty necessary, or at least would flesh out this particular game experience a lot more. Space vehicles would be nice too, as would a lot of other stuff too.

All in all, I played this game for maybe an hour or two, enough to realize that unless you’re one of those super Counter-Strike/Halo “I can shoot you from a thousand yards away while you’re sprinting and bunny hopping in the milisecond your head is exposed without even zooming in” players you’re probably not going to be very good at this game. I’m pretty good at games like Battlefield 2, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead and the like, but this game is pretty difficult, and pretty much requires super precise aiming from long distances, and even then you’re probably going to get owned.

16. MultiVaC says:

I think this game is just about perfect, I’m loving the simplicity of it. It’s really a pure skill shooter, but it’s an entirely new set of skills for the FPS genre.

17. GB says:

The cited hardware survey is from October 2009, the same month Windows 7 went to retail – so likely yes and no since the survey replies are probably staggered over the month.

Also, initial problems with Vista aside, another reason it wasn’t greatly adopted was because it wasn’t perceived to have offered anything over XP aside from a shiny interface. While Windows 7 will most certainly enjoy a higher adoption rate I don’t think the XP majority is going to disappear overnight.

18. Alexander Norris says:

Guest passes have been received. I’ve offered one to linfosoma further up the comment thread and sent one to a friend who wanted to check SH out, which means I have one left. Any takers?

19. Dracko says:

Now all we need is a Rendezvous with Rama map.

Shame my comp can’t run this. I’m all over the concept.

Also, this has to be the best kill montage in recent FPS history.

20. Thiefsie says:

Me Please! ahrimaan at hotmail com

21. moth says:

sent you one of my spare passes.

22. protie says:

I just came across this game moments ago. If anyone has any more passes available I would love to give this game a shot!
    Thanks

23. protie says:

Oh yeah, my Steam name is the same as the one used here. :)