Avatar Demo Released, In A Peculiar Place

With the conscious recklessness of talking about another game on Left 4 Dead 2 launch day, here’s something else you could play. It’s the demo of the game of big Jim Cameron’s film. Y’know, the film that’s supposed to be make everyone believe 3D is the future of cinema and, to steal Kieron’s line, looks like Braveheart with furries. The film and the game (which is akin to a slightly more open world third-person Halo if you play the humans, or rather more platformy if you play the elves Na’vi) both aren’t due out until December, but a demo has mysteriously appeared on the German Coke Zero site. English Demo, German website, American sugarfree fizzy beverage. Huh. Oh, and it’s only available until November 30. The 1.6Gb demo’s still downloading here, but I’ll update this post once I’ve given it a whirl.

1. Vinraith says:

What’s with this post (from 3 hours later) appearing under the Left 4 Dead 2 stuff?

2. Alec Meer says:

We are lords of time.

3. Mithrandir0x says:

All hail to the lords of crime!!

4. CMaster says:

Is this the same as the Eurogamer demo?

5. Vandelay says:

Is anyone else finding the downloads to be exceptionally slow where ever they try to get it, or is it just my internet being shitty? The German serves on worthdownloading won’t even start.

6. HexagonalBolts says:

All my posts recently seem to have been cynical…

Unfortunately, this begs and moans for buckets of it.

7. SirKicksalot says:

This is great! :D

No, really. Has tons of potential.

8. Bret says:

You’re time lords?

I kew it! Nice to see you doing well given the whole bit with Daleks.

9. ZIGS says:

Mouse aiming is straight-from-thumbstick and FOV straight-from-TV. Fix those 2 things and I might give a damn

• Tei says:

oh noes.. this age will be remenber as the “dark ages of gamming”. Its worth download this thing?

• SirKicksalot says:

Yes it is. I’m a PC-only gamer and haven’t noticed anything wrong with the controls or the FOV. I’m playing it at a 5:4 resolution. Just like Far Cry 2, it has quite a lot of options to tweak.

• Vandelay says:

Fry Cry 2 needed a third party program to make sure it gave you the correct widescreen FOV, at least at release.

10. Günter says:

I prefer to think of it as Pocahontas with Smurfs.

Wisq says:

Oh thank god, nothing to do with Airbenders. Which I guess I would know if I’d paid attention to the prior RPS coverage, but still.

12. cncplyr says:

woo gamershell to the rescue! :D

13. Sam says:

Played the demo, complete bog-(har its in a swamp)standard third person shooter. I gave up and uninstalled at the boss that, get this, charges you, so you have to strafe and shoot it in the back.

Invisible walls aplenty, of course. Oh for the cancelled Outcast sequel I had some sad hope this might have been something like.

14. superking208 says:

I prefer to think of it as Fern Gully.

15. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Compressed .cabs, inside a self-extracting rar .exe, inside a .zip. 4.5 gigs of space before I can even run the demo. And it turns out to be a pretty shit game after all that.

16. Sean says:

I prefer to think of it as Not-Battle-Angel-Alita-Yet

I give that only a 90% odds of being total crap, still has more potential than this film

However! We’re talking about a game demo, which I am downloading. As a videogame, there may be potential here.

Oops, looks like I’ve still got a rant. Hollywood doesn’t get games. Gamer (shudder), Surrogates, and now this… they all get it wrong. They look like they know what’s going on in games, but they miss by a mile. They focus on what games LOOK like: player controlling avatar, avatar doing things. Then they imagine this in a real world context, with real world rules. WRONG. Games are about the rules. They are about the way the world works. Do that, and you have a movie about gaming culture. On the other hand, if you want to make a movie BASED on a game, ignore both the previous facts entirely, it’s just a story. But, play the game, realize the style and atmosphere, and play to those strengths. The problem here? Most games are solitary experiences, and more cerebral in that respect than your average summer blockbuster. And there’s the problem right there. Ok, got that out of my system.