Full On Mentalism: Elona Shooter

I haven't got very far yet. Because I'm useless. And Dragon Age is very long.

Yeah, I ruin the Zombie theme of the day by posting this. OR DO I? It’s a castle defence game – which, of course, are normally zombie-themed – from the creator of full-on-mentalist Rogue-game Elona. It’s called Elona Shooter and it’s proper full-on-mentalist. The idea is basically an Operation Wolf (Or, really, Walker) clone mixed with a party-based RPG mixed with the aforementioned full-on mentalism. And… oh, watch these videos in a compare and contrast…

Here’s how it starts…

And here how it goes…

FULL ON MENTALISM.

1. RHippy says:

I played it last week. The infuriating size of the crosshairs and the sheep/chickens etc. made it too much of a pain in the arse to enjoy… pity really. I’d have enjoyed it more if the friendlys had been a bit more use and it wasn’t me having to do all the clicking as well.

2. Dominic White says:

Lesson learnt: The Edit-Via-Forum function removes all free lines from my posts. So, read this on the forum. It looks MUCH nicer there!
    To put things into perspective as to just HOW crazy Elona is:
    link to elona.wikia.com
    One of the enemy types in Elona is Hard Gay, who goes ‘FOOOOOOO!’ and explodes.

You can also drink from fountains and become impregnated by aliens in the process.
    You have a chance of finding a magical sword that brings about Ragnarok itself.
    Big Daddies and Little Sisters are among the enemy types, as well.
    You can marry your pet, and continue play as the hybrid offspring.
    One of the playable races is a mutant that starts with one arm, but gains a random limb or head or other body slot every few levels.
    All of this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. Elona is like a massive, in-depth and complex parody of the entire roguelike genre. ‘Full-on mentalism’ is just about right. It’s also well worth checking out – it has decent graphics, music, a relatively simple menu-driven interface, and is constantly being added to. Elona Shooter is the developers (solo dude, Japanese, although now working with an english fan-translation team) side-project so he didn’t get totally burnt out.

• DarkNoghri says:

break tags ftw. Those being br inside <>, as actually typing this didn’t work the first time.

3. phil says:

Ah, a shout out for Walker, if you will excuse me a while I will be replaying the WWI level in my head, though skipping the annoying crane at the end.

4. Heliocentric says:

I never finished walker. John Walker was much easier.

5. RogB says:

i misread Elona as Evony, and was wondering where the tits were..

6. Spoon says:

This looks like an Elona-themed clone of the excellent flash zombie shooter The Last Stand, but with party leveling. So if you really wanted to stretch it, you could say you were indirectly keeping up your zombie coverage.

7. Cooper says:

I’ve been loving Elona – great netbook game.

In fact, the only problem I can find with it is the scaling of the sprites (grabbed from free archives I guess). Otherwise, it is agreeable mental. That’s what you want from a rogue-a-like. They shouldn’t make sense.

8. Lagmint says:

I know it sounds weird, but I really want a game like this where the characters all aim for themselves, and you just set up the defenses.

• Matt says:

@Lagmint

But then… what would you do during the attack rounds…? Or are you upgrading as soon as money comes in, a la your general tower defense games?

• d. says:

Well I think this is your game than. Haven’t yet tried how playable it is this way, but you can set your character to autofire.

9. Redford says:

Elona shooter is basically your classic wall defense game, injected with a massive amount of insanity and RNG blessage (and screwage) just like any good RL game.

Do not expect to create a character even close to the thing shown in the bottom video for a very long time as you struggle to kill chickens and rats.

If you can figure out exactly how to play the game and make use of the RNG’s randomness (again, just like in any RL game) you may have a shot at victory. Just don’t be surprised if it takes a few do-overs.

10. Ergates says:

Walker in my memory has much better graphics than that video.

11. Gabe says:

(Tangent) Thanks for the game knowledge upgrade KG! Hadn’t seen Walker before. Looks pretty cool. Any game – where giant bipedal robots shoot gentlemen on horsedrawn carriages – gets my vote.

12. Kieron Gillen says:

Walker is totally an oddball microclassic. As Ergates says, the main kick was at least partially the graphics – its choice of detail in evisceration could be seen as a precursor to No Russian, if you wanted to reach.

KG

13. Hulk Hogan says:

You can shoot the girl standing on the tower of the castle you’re defending.

14. malkav11 says:

This is, quite honestly, the best web-based Flash game I have ever played. Possibly not the best one out there, as I don’t fiddle with them often. But certainly that I’ve played.

15. mejobloggs says:

Is there any way to make this full screen/double size/whatever?

I’m having trouble with it being so tiny

• mejobloggs says:

nm, just found the download link

• mejobloggs says:

No wait… that download was Elona. How do I make Elona Shooter bigger?

• daddy32 says:

You can do so by the magics of direct-linking! Though I was unable to get the direct link on Kongregate after few second of staring into source, I’ve found one at ArmorGames:

• d. says:

Where is my link? Another try:
      Here it is

16. Ian says:

Played this a week or so ago and despite it being promising I soon found I couldn’t be arsed with it.

17. Mr.Entropy says:

obviously haven’t played for long because eventually your allies carry you.