Dog Days Not Over After All: Kane & Lynch 2

We need some screenshots please Squeenix.

Kane & Lynch are to return soon, as we mentioned yesterday. Not Hitman. Kane & Lynch. And now there’s a couple of viral videos to celebrate this, perhaps capturing something of the more hand-made documentary style. Well, steal a look for yourself. (Do you see? I said “steal a look”, which is a reasonably common phrase for looking at something, but also uses the word “steal” which relates to the nature of Kane & Lynch. It’s a sort of pun.)

1. Quasar says:

Your disdain is palpable.

2. Da'Jobat says:

Wow, can’t wait for this. OH WAIT that was Hitman 5 I and everyone else was waiting for.

3. Psychopomp says:

There was something mildly disturbing about that second video.

• Doctor Doc says:

WTF happened in that video anyway?

• Genki says:

I assume that second one had something to do with the level where Kane and Lynch are naked, having just escaped being sodomized. No, I didn’t just make that up, google it

4. Reverend Speed says:

K&L are two stand-up characters in search of a decent story. You could do these little vignettes all day, but the question is – can we avoid another Havana catastrophe?

Have IO learned their lesson that in a heavily authored game, the story has to be part of the design AND execution of the product? Hope so.

5. Shinagawa says:

I am right in thinking two men were thrown into a shop by a powerful force (naah, 400ms lag caught up with ’em), one was attacked by a dog, and the dog was struck repeatedly by a naked man?

Come to think of it, both of them appear to be in some state of undress.

6. nine says:

Someone doesn’t like K&L!

7. Agrajag says:

Who cares about the game, the videos are awesome!

8. poop says:

I really have no idea what happened in those videos but for some reason I am really excited.

• Severian says:

replace “excited” with “concerned that our civilization is degenerating into something horrific and confusing” and, yes.

9. mootpoint says:

Just have to say Thank You John! You made me chuckle on this otherwise miserably gray day. Work seems a bit more fun now.

Oh, Kane and Lynch? This makes me wish I had played the first one, it didn’t seem without it’s flaws, but as far as I’ve gathered the story was pretty good. At least if you like that “not good guys” thing, which I do. Or am I misinformed?

10. TotalBiscuit says:

Kane and Lynch is one of the worst shooters I’ve ever played.

11. WimpoD says:

Kane and Lynch is one of the best shooters I’ve ever played (I have played many, I promise!).

There’s something so gritty about the premise, and yeah the game wasn’t as memorable as some of the Hitman iterations but my god did it pack a cinematic punch.

These viral trailers for the sequel are fan-bloody-tastic.

12. Clovis says:

@JW: You cannot “steal” a look. If you take a look without paying for it you haven’t deprived anyone else of that “look”. You cannot consider something theft just because someone may have paid to take a look. I don’t know how the looking industry has convinced everyone in the world that this would be theft. We will never get reasonable laws about looking at things until we all can at least agree on the proper language.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

13. fuggles says:

So… someone somewhere thinks that the way to get someone excited about a game is to have two naked men, one of which is on the floor being savaged by a dog, the other then beats the dog into submission with a blunt object.

That was in every way horrible to watch.

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Listening to Dog Days Are Over while the second video plays is actually pretty disturbing.

KG

15. nikos says:

Am I the only one reminded of Goodman in the Big Lebowski by the guy on the right in the picture? Disturbing indeed :)

• Clovis says:

I thought the image was a literal copy and paste from the Big Lebowski.

While we are examing the image, I think it is creepy how the tape across the nose of the guy on the left seems to just be floating above his skin.

16. wm says:

Blech.

17. manintheshack says:

I agree with Clovis and demand that John Walker injects DRM directly into his eyeballs, right this instant.

Stealing looks, indeed…

18. Moomin says:

One eye is useful for hazardous environments where depth perception may get in the way.

19. Gorgeras says:

Wouldn’t it be really scary if the sequel was really, really good? Street Fighter 2 was so good, they kept doing it over and over again and recently did it again and called it Street Fighter 4.

20. Weylund says:

Actually, the dude on the right looks a bit like Nick Frost, doesn’t he? In Mike garb from Spaced?

Wow, wouldn’t a Kane and Lynch movie with Pegg and Frost be fantastic? All the… you know… oh, wait.

21. Tei says:

Dogs are really fast. Forget about snow or water. No man can outrun a dog. Hell.. no man can think faster than a dog can run, so by the time you understand that dog on the horizont don’t like you, you are already doomed. We have dogs as pets and emergency rations, but If our civilization fall, we all will be dog food. Mark my words.

• OldManTick says:

Thank goodness for Lara Croft then. She can take out dogs with her dual pistols all day.

and lions and tigers and bears.

22. ACardboardRobot says:

Oh come on, I liked Kane and Lynch a lot. Never actually got around to playing the multiplayer though and that looked really interesting. But yeah, it was a great game, definitely better than that pile of shit Halo.

• sinister agent says:

Now this is just mental. Halo was a solid shooter with a handful of innovations that have been copied ad infinitum, but it was by no means a bad game. It knew what it wanted to be and went for it, and the result was a competent shooter. Kane and Lynch though, come on. It’s buggy as hell, the controls were clunky, there were about ten unskippable cutscenes immediately after save points, the actual shooting was really quite poor overall, and the AI was awful. It had some neat level ideas, but as a whole it just fell apart. Seriously, the halo games are among the most overrated of the decade, but they’re far better made than Kane and Lynch was.