The Old Republic Reveals Final Two Classes

I don't mean to be crude, but is he doing blue poos?

You can now tick off the final two boxes in your I Spy Book Of The Old Republic Playable Characters. The seventh and eighth options were revealed by the German press this morning, and swiftly scanned for the rest of the world to enjoy by terrible word-stealing scandemons. I can barely bring myself to link to StarWarsMMO.net who have posted the pages, which are understandably in German. The internet’s best codebreakers were put to work, deciphering this tongue, and revealed that the last two are one more Jedi and one more Sith, a Consular and Inquisitor respectively. (I pretty much got into journalism so I could use the term “respectively”.) As Eurogamer points out, this has been confirmed by BioWare as definite-o-truth, which means there’s now four Force-based options (the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior previously declared), alongside the baddie Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent, and the goodie Smuggler and Trooper. Is anyone planning to pick a non-Force character?

1. adam says:

That guy on the right is shitting turquoise

The debauchery!

2. Zyrusticae says:

If I can’t make a Trandoshan bounty hunter wielding a vibrosword and no armor, I will not be pleased.

3. Devan says:

I’m kind of an alt-o-holic so I’ll probably end up playing as many classes as there are character slots. In a universe filled with glow sticks, though, it becomes more appealing to play a non-force class.

4. remover says:

If I do decide to play, I definitely won’t be a force based character. I think it’s a shame that there are so many of them. Star Wars for so many was about all the crazy characters, not shooting lightning out of fingers and stuff all the time.

5. luminosity says:

No one expects the the Sith Inquisition.

• Carra says:

I have a feeling I’ll be seeing that quote a lot…

• DMJ says:

In the future, we will be able to tell our grandchildren “yes younglings, we were there when that joke actually made people smile. It was cracked by luminosity. Of course after that, anyone who made that joke afterwards was hunted down and burned at the stake. Ah, the great humour riots of 2010…”

6. Shalrath says:

99% of players will be Mace Windu, or Boba/Jango Fett. You heard it here first.

7. Springy says:

Is that unrealistically-proportioned Jedi looking at his phone?

• Howl says:

Yes, in ‘teh future’ the time delay between doing someting and twittering/facebooking about it is measured in milliseconds. Jedi can do this and still kick arse simultaneously.

8. Orange says:

Not sure why anyone would choose to be a Trooper, seems such a bizarre choice of class given the alternatives.

• Fergus says:

Guns? Big, massive guns perhaps?

• Carra says:

Big, transparent lightsabers?

• Spoon says:

Don’t be silly. That is going to be the first thing i roll.

• Derek K. says:

Because Troopers kick ass? Tough, big guns, grenades. And they don’t have to wear bathrobes.

Also, Troopers get to grunt in manly ways, and get the women (or grunt in womanly ways and get the man, or whatever combo you prefer). Chicks dig guys with big guns and tats.

• remover says:

I’d choose a military figure in cool armor over some dude that waves his arms around and plays with glowy things any day.

• Zerotime says:

And once again, the Military-Industrial Complex kills PLUR.

9. grey_painter says:

Springy: He’s clearly tweeting about his opponents lack of trousers.

The major reason I like the Star Wars universe is because of my inner child wanting a lightsaber and making the humming noise when ever I have something longer than a foot and half in my hand. So I’m definitely going to be a Jedi.

10. Railick says:

I’m guessing this is like further back in the past before the KOTOR games when the light sabers were big as heck because they hadn’t figured out how to minutarize the technology yet? That light saber is is long as his forarm and as thick as his wrist, he looks like he can hardly fit his entire hand around it ! O.o It’s going to be more effective to hit people with the hilt of your giant light saber then to actaully hit them.

• Alexander Norris says:

For crying out loud.

It’s an artistic choice. It’s called style. They’ve decided to go for cartoony everything instead of super serious frowny men in space.

Damien Stark says:

Oh no! WoW gayness! Quick, someone grab a brown+noise Photoshop filter!

11. Iain says:

I will totally be rolling a hot, female, red-headed Bounty Hunter. AND IN THE GAME.

12. We Fly Spitfires says:

No surprises. Of course Bioware were going to add a lot of Jedi classes, they know that players want to play Jedi. It’s like they’re going the opposite way of SWG and making sure everyone gets the chance to use the Force :)

I have to say that I’m kinda disappointed that there aren’t more non-Jedi classes though.

Damien Stark says:

Isn’t this also the appeal of the Old Republic time/setting? The Jedi were hardly “average people”, but also weren’t depleted to the point of being single-digit rare heroes, known by all. So it’s actually not crazy to have 100+ Jedi Knights out running around an instance of the galaxy.

I do agree though, that I’ll personally be more interested in how they develop the non-force classes to make them “competitive”.

13. malkav11 says:

I’m going to play the super secret unlockable Nerf Herder class.

Failing that, yes, my first two or three characters would be force users. If I’m finally getting bored with them I -might- play a Bounty Hunter or something, but I’d probably be done with the game long before then. If I even start – I’m still not convinced this is going to work at all.

14. Adam Bloom says:

The real question is: will anyone play goodie-goodie classes with names like “Smuggler” and “Trooper” when they could be playing “Bounty Hunter” or “Agent.”

15. Railick says:

This new move to make everything in Starwars cute really started with Jar Jar Binks and hasn’t let up since, now we’ve got the cute little New Republic 3d animated cartoon on TV and this new game with cartoonized jedi :( I actaully loved the Clone Wars animations they did in between Episode 2 and 3 because they were more like anime and less “cute” with the clone troopers being awesome jumping all over the place and coming through the roof and sniping people and Mace Windu destroying entire buildings with the force and stuff :P I wish they’d have gone more in that direction and less in the carebare direction they’re taking now.

I’m not complaining mind you, just disappointed. I really loved Starwars Galaxies (As my X-fire account Serondal will tell you) I don’t see anything wrong with going a similiar route with even more realistic and life like characters. I understand it is a style choice in Biowares part and I really hope them the best, but I won’t be playing something that looks like this.

• Stupoider says:

Jar Jar Binks? Cute?!

How can you say that after seeing the ewoks. D:

• Jeremy says:

But what if it’s awesome? Or is that kinda like saying “but, she has a nice personality?”

16. spiralarchitect says:

I was hoping the last 2 classes wouldn’t be force sensitive, and the varying styles of jedi would be accomodated through talents. Half the classes being lightsaber users seems a bit boring and lacking in variety.

17. Jimbo says:

Excellent, splitting the Jedi / Sith into multiple classes was exactly what they needed to do with this game.

I don’t mind there being thousands of Jedi and Sith running around (it isn’t out of place with the KOTOR setting), so long as the classes themselves are balanced and there’s still a group dynamic that works.

18. Garg says:

Probably a good move, if they hadn’t done this then the servers would be crammed with just the two different force user classes. Now there are four, which should (hopefully) mean the distribution of classes is more even. Although it looks like class make up in groups isn’t as important in SWtoR, as I haven’t seen anything vaguely like a tank/healer/damage type mechanic, or at least something similar.

19. mrmelons says:

Since when is a title like smuggler followed by goodie goodie? If I am not mistaken smugglers are pretty bad people in an overall scheme of things. They smuggle drugs, slaves, weapons, none of which i would necessarily say are good and wholesome surpluses. Just because Han Solo was a good guy doesn’t exactly make up for the fact that even he himself was running illegal stuff for crime organizations at the start of his career. Smuggler = Bad.

• mrmelons says:

I should point out that in that post I was not slighting Han Solo in anyway, he is my fave character in star wars and I feel is way more bad ass than any jedi/sith.

Frosty says:

Oh you can play a smuggler as a bad guy, but on the Republic side. Think of it this way; Sith would despise having smugglers running around under their feet, Republic would value the support smugglers offer by smuggling weapons and supplies through to worlds under threat.

• Boldoran says:

Remeber Han Solo shot first!

20. Railick says:

Ewoks are actually cute, where as Jar Jar Binks is forced on you cute and silly to the point of being stupid. Ewoks are like Kittens who are just cute where as Jar Jar is like Pokemon , does that make any sense ? :P

Just like some little people are cute, they’re not trying to be cute but when I see two little people who are married or dating and they’re hugging and being lovely I just find that to be adorable: P Of course the way my children react to them is still terrible so I can’t stay around them to long or my daughter will say something offensive without meaning to (she’s only 2) She called a little person a goblin in Krogers and called an African American gentleman a dirty monkey :P (she called him that because she had just been playing with a stuffed monkey and my wife told her it was dirty because it had been on the floor. So she called the toy a dirty monkey, then went on and started calling everything a dirty monkey until they got to the check out line where this dude pulled up behind them :P He was just kind of like O.O ooookaaaay)

21. Railick says:

@MrMelons = Don’t forget that smugglers were also responsible for supplying the rebellion with weapons and supplies which is the primary reason why star destroyers were stopping them in the first place. I’m sure Han Solo isn’t the only smuggler that ended up working for the Rebellion by smuggling goods and soliders through Imperial space to hidden rebel outposts around the galaxy :P I think smuggler is more like a thief in D&D it could be good or bad (Robin Hood or Baby Face Nelson)

22. Railick says:

Derek has a point, who wouldn’t want to wear Mandalorian armor and use it properly (as trooper armor and not as bounty hunter armor ;P) When it was brand spanking new and you ARE Mandalorian. The Mandalorian characters were my favorite in KotoR 1 and 2 (same character I know but diffrent name)

23. TonyB says:

As has been pointed out a few times already, Smuggler = Han Solo. Since he’s clearly the coolest character in Star Wars I’m surprised there aren’t more people who, like me, are planning to go with one of them first.

• Chaz says:

I’m willing to bet my teeth that Jedi will be by far the most popular character, and by a wide margin.

• TonyB says:

Doubtless the Jedi will outnumber everyone else (which seems massively wrong story-wise), but I’d expect a reasonable contingent of Han Solo and Boba Fett wannabes.

24. Wulf says:

No droids? B-bu-but… the droids always had the most personality in the Star Wars Universe! They were always backwards like that, as Mark Hamill (at that time) had the acting capability of a plank of wood, Harrison Ford got by on his good looks and action sequences, and… pretty much the droids, the robots, had al the personality.

I don’t want to roleplay a plank of wood! D: If I can’t at least play a utility droid then there goes my interest.

• Lu-Tze says:

Likewise, I am despondent at the lack of droids. G0-T0’s Hologram would be a great way to let droid players still look unique from each other, and i’d get a kick out of a totally different equipment system to everyone else (and a proficiency in Security systems, making a Droid an invaluable member of your team when you investigate any bases).

Maybe humanoid droids like HK-47 will still be an option, but I sincerely doubt it. Given the choice i’d rather be rolling around as something like T3-M4, but what ya gonna do?

Damien Stark says:

Also the usual RPG tropes of constantly upgrading yourself through XP and loot, as well as taking easily repairable damage through HP, actually make a lot of sense when you’re a droid – you can literally acquire new programming and replace your components.

A lot of fascinating possibilities there, perhaps meat for future expansion.

25. Jugglenaut says:

I’m thinking trooper or agent as my first run, but this will be my first mmo, so I doubt my first character will go well.

26. Marmaduke says:

@Railick: Also a big fan of the Ewoks, but maybe I am assuming to much to say that you are also a big fan.

Perhaps, strangely, the most emotionally evocative moment for me in all six movies was in Return of the Jedi when a storm trooper or something blasts one of the poor little guys and his friend picks him up, shakes him and realizes he’s dead.

But somehow I doubt they’ll make it into The Old Republic. Or are they already?

• Railick says:

Yah thanks for bringing that up I’d forgotten about that tear jerking moment when the cute little Ewok realizes the other cute little Ewok is dead. I believe I saw that when I was really young the first time and just assumed that the dead Ewok was the other ones mother and it made me cry :P It still does but not as much since now I know the ewoks are a war like little tribe of space teddy bears willing and able to kill you if they so choose. But then there is that “wow those little guys are really brave and heroic” factor that makes me cry when I watch a WW2 movie like Band of Brothers (I know it’s a mini-series, trust me I have the tin box set of all the DVDS :P)

27. Korpayne says:

Have you seen the movies? do you know what smugglers are? they aint exactly, braid your hair and rub your feet cuddly ya know.

28. Chaz says:

Smuggler for me for sure, but do I get a Mil Falcon and a pet Wookie?

29. roryok says:

why is the big guy shitting urinal cakes? I don’t understand star wars at all anymore….

30. Tei says:

I say… $year_of_release += 2; …this graphics need a reboot, to either Borderlands, Mass Effect, or KOTOR, or something else. (note: I could be wrong)

31. Tei says:

I am not a troll, but I will join the game, if only, to shout “Order 66” in general chat. (-:

32. Railick says:

I really enjoyed the droids in SWG , I’m hoping that if you can’t actually PLAY as a droid you can at least own some as even lowly moisture farmers can afford a droid it would appear :P

33. Aldehyde says:

IF I get the game, I will NOT play a force-using-dude-of-mega-power. Bounty Hunter sounds cool to me.

34. Cpt.Average says: