Good Day To You, Fine Sirs.

There’s not much going on at RPS Towers today, hence the lack of posting. Kieron is off on a journey of some kind, Alec has been eaten alive by his hungover housemate, John has been imprisoned in a laser-cage beneath the fortress of his arch-nemesis, and I’m busy sending off a fleet of carrier pigeons, destined for our sinister agents, to see if I can have them both rescued.

So what about you, readers? What have you been doing? What are you playing? Tell us what is on your “must complete” list for the remainder of 2009. (I was trying to Dragon Age finished, but Call Of Pripyat and Sins Of A Solar Empire have defeated me.) Did you enter our i7 processor competition? Did you download The Nameless Mod? Are you going to be helping out with the RPS game? And are you planning on buying anyone a videogame for Christmas? Where are you, and what are you doing? Speak!

1. Hunam says:

I think were all playing Steam purchased games.

Nabbed Champions Online for it’s filthy seductive price and then hopped over to Impulse and finally got Sins of a Solar Empire for an embarrassingly low price.

I will take breaks from both with short breaks of trying to convince people playing L4D2 to cut that shit out and play Borderlands with me. A task I’ll no doubt fail.

2. pignoli says:

I am just going to assume that all ambitions to play anything other than L4D2 (except maybe Borderlands, I think I’m near the end of my first time through that)will go unfulfilled. The pile grows…

3. Malagate says:

What have I been doing? How kind to ask! Well, I got married, visited London, played a fair bit of L4D2 (which would be better if I had a few regular people to play it with), I did enter both of your recent competitions (Ents are totally compatible with i7 processors ya know?) and am otherwise having fun in Mount & Blade warbands beta most nights.

Oh and occasionally melting rather expensive miniatures in idiotic attempts to solder them together.
    And I have an embarassing injury that I’m going to get sorted now :(
    Otherwise everything’s grand, cheers!

• Torgen says:

Congrats on the marriage!

Remember, a man isn’t complete until he’s married: then he’s finished! :D

4. sana says:

I’m mainly running around punching people as Heavy with my new Ushanka and hopelessly pursuing gaming dreams in the UDK.

5. Big X says:

I’m doing my duty to mankind in Left4Dead 2, and once the government has cleaned away all the corpses, I’ll tour the streets in a GRID like fashion, as driving is cheap when jerry cans are placed everywhere

6. abhishek says:

Earlier this year, it was hard to not be disappointed when so many major games that were supposed to release slipped into next year. But now I find myself in a position where I am spoiled for choice between so many amazing games… Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, L4D2 and Borderlands are enough to keep a person happy for months. They’re all installed on my hard drive now, all begging for my time to play them. It really is a happy state of affairs as far as gaming goes :)

7. DJ Phantoon says:

Borderlands has way less replayability than L4D2, Hunam. Just sayin. Maybe you should let it sit around a wee bit and play L4D until people wanna do something different for a while.

• Hunam says:

But with the amount of games I buy and the aspolotion of games in Q1 2010 means that if Borderlands isn’t finished before January it may never get done.

8. Hornybeast says:

Had the day off work so had a big wank

9. Ian says:

I miss the Fridays of yore when RPS would post a nice little game in the morning and that’d be my Friday sorted. That was when they loved us.

Anyway, currently I’m playing Blood Bowl (Cyanide and FUMBBL), Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands and Half-Life 2 again.

On my to-restart list:
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    STALKER
    …and I’m sure there must be others.

And, erm, to actually start playing:
    Gothic 2
    Pathologic
    Planescape: Torment
    System Shock 2

10. Bleeters says:

Watching new Mass Effect 2 trailers, repeatedly. Tali in ‘looking actually useful this time’ shocker.

11. GibletHead2000 says:

Not planning on buying anyone any videogames for christmas… But if Steam had vouchers I’d probably buy some of those.

12. Colthor says:

Dragon Age is my current squeeze. Then I want to go back to Titan Quest. And then the enormous, imaginary stack of games I’ve bought in various DD sales over the past some months.

And I’m being prevented from playing them by painting toy soldiers (slowly, and not terribly well). *Sigh* Don’t they have machines for this?

13. Andy says:

I have a list as long as my arm of things to play and yet every time I sit at my PC I fire up Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer without even thinking. I’m not actually enjoying it so much (It’s good and everything but I have a completist itch that just doesn’t get scratched by unending multiplayer games) and yet I can’t seem to stop. Hopefully this weekend I’ll allow myself to get sucked back into Ferelden and battle the Blight in Dragon Age. Although it’ll be hard not to at least dip into Borderlands or Torchlight to get my loot on.
    And all of that assumes that I don’t pick up a copy of serious sam HD or even left 4 dead 2 this weekend.
    Christmas will probably reserved for some classic netbook gaming as my parents might frown upon me dragging my desktop all the way down when I visit…

In the mean time, work continues on my UDK project and I will continue to get as many RPS references in there as is humanly possible although I’ve been terribly scared off by Kieron’s articles on amateur projects and may never be able to bring myself to write another line of UnrealScript again!!

14. subedii says:

Mainly playing Left 4 Dead 2 when I get the chance. The 4v4 matchmaking and new scoring system make games so much more intense and fun.

And now that they’ve got the balance largely sorted, I’m finding myself occasionally back to DoW2 as well now, when I’m not preoccupied with the above.

Speaking of Steam sales, the next one is due to start in about 30 minutes. Get your orders in if you want them, the next batch is coming soon.

15. Schmung says:

Too much going on socially to play any games and 360 uber releases CoD and Forza 3 are eating what little time I have remaining. The list of stuff I have to play come the new year is gargantuan. I think I’ll start with Borderlands, but there’s a ton of indie stuff I want to get my mitts on as well. As always a case of too many games and too little time and money.

16. GibletHead2000 says:

Oh, games? I’m still juggling Torchlight, Borderlands and Dragon Age… Depending on how much time I think I’m likely to have playing before I get interrupted. Torchlight fits nicely in a lunch break, Borderlands for a couple of hours in the evening, and Dragon Age when I’m sure I’ve got 4+ hours available to play in one go at the weekend…

• Jonas says:

Hmm Torchlight. Strongly considering getting that. Looks like good fun, if it had co-op I would be all over it.

17. Jonas says:

I finished Dragon Age a few days ago (at 3½ am on a work day, erk) and couldn’t stop myself from gushing uncontrollably about it on my blog. Last week I spent a day playing through Modern Warfare 2 and found it to be a pretty entertaining if 100% ridiculous and self-obsessed game which mostly just made me want to replay Modern Warfare 1.

Now I’ll probably go back and play some Borderlands again, if I can get one of my co-op partners to resume our in-progress playthrough. Assassin’s Creed 2 (for X360) and Uncharted 2 (for PS3) are both being saved for my christmas wish list.

I’m not planning to get L4D2. I’ll be playing it way more than I want to in the university gamelab anyway. Kinda burned myself out on L4D1, so for me, L4D2 is way too soon to catch my interest, sadly.

18. Farfarer says:

Mostly playing Borderlands, aiming for Level 50 but my girlfriend demands I play co-op with her so I don’t shoot ahead in leveling :/ And a few lunchtimes slogging through the Monkey Island episodes… more because I feel I ought to than because of a genuine desire to play them.

I shall be helping out with the RPS game, hopefully. Awaiting further orders, sir.

Aside from that I’m busy making games and learning ZBrush. Drinking, too. Alec’s housemate has my sympathies.

Oh, and I played Nameless mod some time ago. It was pretty damn good although I think it required a more in-depth knowledge of the specific forums and circumstances than I posessed.

19. Gothnak says:

I’m playing Gyromancer (too much), finishing Uncharted 2 (The final boss is NOT fun), also fiddling with Forza 3, and just got Demon Souls and Dragon Age on the PC to play…

Must also get around to completing Brutal Legend…

20. underproseductor says:

I guess I spend more time configuring games than actually playing them. Bu, er, no, I’m not playing anything at the moment. Set up a bunch of those old id software games (doom, hexen etc.) on laptop (one with shitty integrated card). Also, “played” with digital painting programs and map editing tools for a while. Aside from that, the usual stuff – studies and wikipedia.

No real gaming till Christmas holidays – a shitload of work to do.

21. frags says:

I’m waiting for all the Steam discounts. Can’t wait to get great bargains. Besides that…Dragon Age.

22. aldo_14 says:

I had given up buying games for, well, most of this year (for one thing, it makes the wife huffy – although she loves the Plants Vs Zombies tune) until some of the more recent Steam games < £4 offers. And everything not on huge sale stays on the xmas list.

So now my still-to-finish / milk of sweet creamy gameplay list currently comprises S.T.A.L.K(*phew typing huff huff huff*).E.R., GRID, Sins, Fallout 3 and Assassins Creed; not to mention that I’ve never got round to finishing Sega Rally, TimeShift (it was cheapy cheap), Bioshock, Faces of War, Dark Messiah, Ground Control 2, Shadowgrounds, Spore, Portal, Streetfighter 4, and probably loads more that I got for £1 in a closing down sale or something then promptly forgot about.

That’s excluding a good few Wii games left from last year, too. and it doesn’t help that I installed a new HD and either deliberately or accidentally lost lots of savegames for the stuff I had completed.

23. clive dunn says:

My finger was poised over the ‘purchase’ box of a whole new PC system (i5,dx11 etcetc) when the phone rang. Why oh why did i answer it?
    It was the garage; my car needs a complete overhaul of the engine block; it’ll be a cool £600.
    Fuck Fuck Fuck. No new pc for me, and a rusting chunk of badly designed metal sitting on my driveway.
    Anyway, i was going to be playing GTA IV, DA:O, medieval 2 (again for some reason, maybe with the fourth age mod). I was so looking forward to finally being able to see all the bells and whistles. There will be no fun in my house this xmas. (Well, PC fun anyway)

24. malkav11 says:

When I myself actually play something, it’s typically been Dragon Age, Borderlands, or maybe a smidgen of Torchlight, along with a weekly Everquest II gathering. (You might be surprised how much fun EQII can be. Especially if you ever played the first Everquest, which was dreadful.) There are various other things I want to work on, including (boo! hiss!) console games like Uncharted 2 (which I am renting and really ought to finish so I can return it) and Brutal Legend, and Batman: Arkham Asylum. But I don’t seem to get to them much.

To my faint surprise, Black Friday frenzy has been absolutely awful as far as presenting me with videogame deals (I think I’ve bought one all week, Midnight Club: Los Angeles for $10), so that hasn’t really expanded my backlog. I should add that it’s not that there haven’t been deals, but the prices have been too high on games I wanted, and the real bargains have been on games I already own. For example, $20 Borderlands on Amazon earlier tonight – much better than the $45 I paid, but, alas, I did pay that $45, so no point. On the plus side, this means I am free to spend my monies on lavish hardcover collections of The Far Side (for my parents), an astounding array of dirt cheap movies on DVD and BluRay, and what will ultimately be something like 8 seasons of TV to watch, half or more on BluRay. We’ll see what Steam comes up with in the next few days, though.

And really, the thing I’ve been doing -most- lately, is watching video LPs from the Something Awful Let’s Play subforum. Positively addictive.

25. Donald Duck says:

Nothing on the PC, except trying to get Kings Bounty to stop crashing the machine. New Super Mario Brothers for Wii though. FANTASTIC game.

26. Andrew says:

I’m bouncing between Dragon Age, Borderlands and raiding with the PCG WoW guild. Still got a massive pile of games on steam unplayed since last Christmas.

27. Arsewisely says:

Bored of L4D2. To me, campaign’s aren’t as compelling as the first. Internet is full of idiots, don’t know enough people to play with regularly – may have something to do with it.

Thus, learning about and ‘reading’ interactive fiction.

• DJ Phantoon says:

@Arsewisely

Maybe it’s because your name is Arsewisely that you have no friends. Just a thought.

• gobion says:

ello there we should play some L4D2 – I’m Slerbal :)

• Arsewisely says:

Hey! Absolutely, I’ve never seen you playing it – must be more observant.

28. Psychopomp says:

Meaning to finish Dragon Age, but after going through the entire Redcliffe/Sacred Ashes questline, Orzammar is coming off as a bit brown, and lackluster to me. I might head on over to the elf area instead. Also, waiting for my new headset to arrive, so I can run through L4D2 expert realism with some friends.
    In the meantime, I’m playing King Arthur and Solium, with Shattered Horizon breaks in between. Enjoying all three immensely.

29. gulag says:

Wrestling with Netframe 3.5 issues. failing.
    Pootling through Plants Vs. Zombies by way of stress-relief.
    Keeping an eye on the Nameless Mod torrent (sooooo sllloooow).
    Bitterly rueing the ending of Borderlands.
    Keeping an eye on the Steam deals, hoping the next one is as good as the THQ one ( I had too many of them already to be tempted) 20 minutes to go..
    Musing over upgrading to Windows 7 or eating my own foot. One is surely a bigger pain than the other, right?

30. Darkelp says:

Between studying I have been playing Dragon age, Left 4 Dead 2 and Overlord 2.

I am currently waiting for Steam to update to see if they have any games I actually want on offer.

Good times.

31. Torgen says:

Waking up late the morning after our American Thanksgiving, and giving thanks for the miracle of wireless connection that allows me to stay in bed under the warm covers while journeying through the intertubes. Stayed up to 2am playing the Solium Infernum demo, to see if I could get anything interesting to happen before being abruptly cut off at the end of turn 19.

I’m organizing an online Diplomacy tourney since I can’t afford SI right now, and need to upload holiday music to my big band webcast radio station. I just finished the first playthough on Borderlands with a friend, and found that the return to Fyrestone was more fun than the end boss.

32. Lack_26 says:

I’ve been pretty much just doing Uni work and sleeping for the past 3 week.s Makes me sad, still I can have a bit of a break this weekend, mid-term exams are done.

Anyway, brought PvZ. and Osmosis.

I’ll certainly be getting my Dad ‘Serious Sam HD’ for Christmas, The second encounter was pretty much the only fps he was every any good at (he was still awful, but he had fun).

33. Kamos says:

I’m trying to finish my dissertation so I can go make an indie game.

34. Jockie says:

Being busy sadly. Trying to clean the house, whilst having the shadow of an as yet unbuilt bed hanging over my head. All the while engaging in some light procrastination (hence this comment) and being harassed to join friends in games of Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 (which I’m also writing a review for, which is a little bit late).

I find myself occasionally browsing the Steam sale and have my mouse hovering over the purchase button. The knowledge that the next round of sales are going up in about 11 minutes isn’t helping me get things done.

35. minipixel says:

Playing GTA4 (PC) for the first time. I plan on staying in Liberty City for the week end :)

36. gumbomsata says:

In prepararation for this years big RPGs, Risen, Dragon Age, Divinity 2, Borderlands, etc… I’m clearing my plate with some recent oldies:

King’s Bounty 1 (in honor of KB Armored Princess) – a perfect laptop game
    Gothic 3 – in it’s post-patch state i feel it’s definitely under-appreciated
    Fallout 3 – not as compelling as I’d like it to be, for some reason. maybe because I’m playing it on “hard”? this may be the first game where “Hard” difficulty is simply not as fun :/
    Men of War – This game is badass, difficult and deeply satisfying. woo!

I want to play:

Anno 1404 aka “Dawn of Discovery”
    Knight’s of the Chalice
    King Arthur
    Dragon Age
    Stalker: Call of Pripyat
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy
    Elemental

37. Rich says:

Not much time to play at the moment. The Mrs is home more than usual, which means couple stuff.

Otherwise, Mass Effect for the first time, possibly continuing to a second run through immediately. Then I’ll pick one of 7 games from the THQ pack I’m most interested in; CoH: ToV, STALKER, TQ, TQ: IT, DoW: DC, DoW: S, DoW2. While doing that I’ll maybe play around trying to get the 2 for which my PC does not meet the min spec; RF Guerrilla and Saints Row 2, working in some playable way. If they don’t work I’ll just put them aside for my next PC (when ever that might be – sigh). If all else fails I can always dabble in the 3 I wouldn’t usually have bought; FSpecW, FSpec: TH and Frontlines. The rest I own but can always replay. Except Juiced 2 which is a pointless addition for a keyboard and mouse kind of player.

• Rich says:

Oh and don’t think this fun thread can make up for the lack of genuine RPS articles. My productivity today has actually been worsened for not having the chance to read a good solid review or something early in the day.

Poo to you with knobs on!

38. Sp4rkR4t says:

Yesterday I bought 24 different games but today all I am playing is Serious Sam HD (SOOOOOOOO much fun) and Red Faction: Guerilla (much more enjoyable than the reviews led me to believe). Will probably have a match or two of Blood Bowl when at the pub.

39. Persus-9 says:

Top of my must complete list is ‘The Void’ but I’m more likely to spend this evening on my 360 playing ‘Saints Row II’ because I feel like some silly mindless fun right now and the ring finger on my mouse hand has been going numb in protest at the amount of time it’s been spending wrapped round a mouse lately. If I weaken and fire up my gaming PC then I’ll probably play some more L4D2.

I’ve just got back from doing some indoor climbing at The Castle. It’s a meat space game I’ve just taken it up recently and so far it seems just like an annoying platform game except you need muscles rather than expert timing. I’m not sure that’s a good trade but the increased blood flow and distance above the ground does make it strangely compeling. I’m not very good at it but that shouldn’t matter too much because they release new levels across all difficulties every week or two. Annoyingly they also perminantly delete some of the old levels at the same time and they charge a frankly ludicrous subscription fee that makes the average MMO look positively cheap.

40. rei says:

I’m reading about various immunological matters, and not much else. Earlier I played through Route Kanal in HL2 which I do on occasion as I find it relaxing. The quiet parts, at least. I love the light and the sun-bleached concrete and general ambience in that level. My favorite bit is the little shelter on a raised platform that has wind chime sounds playing. Once I’m done reading about B-cell activation, I’ll play through Highway 17, which has my favorite spot in the game: the building on the bluff that the combine are in the middle of inspecting.

Thanks for asking! I hope John brought a mirror!

• Rich says:

I always find that building really creepy. What with the howl of the coastal wind and breaking of waves coming from outside, and the creaking of the floor boards. Plus I can never remember if which is the building with the poison zombie and which is the one with the roller mines. Of course it’s the latter, but I still manage to convince myself I’ve heard that tell-tale weasing that so grips me with fear.

41. Deme says:

Been having a look at the steam offers, playing some Dragon Age, etc etc.
    Also, harrasing my friends at DreamHack on our TeamSpeak.

Other than that, I’ve been trying out a bit of Rise of Flight, which is truly amazing when you get the controlls and settings mapped out right.
    I’m supprized there aren’t more people playing it… Feel sorry for these russian developers.

• Torgen says:

I’d say 90% of the flight sim community I hang out with passed on Rise of Flight due to DRM and the fact it shipped with just a couple of planes and they charge quite a bit for the extra ones. Poster child for “Let’s gut the game before release then sell the players tiny pieces they will have to buy to play with others, at exorbitant rates”

If it had come with at least six planes, I’d have had no qualms about dropping $50. I still pine for Red Baron.

42. Dominic White says:

I just finished off Dragon Age – I’ll be waiting for a patch or two and maybe some more DLC before I go for my next playthrough. In the meantime, I’ve got three console rentals to hack my way through. The new Ratchet & Clank (which feels like a warm and familiar blanket of destruction now), which is the last in the series, the new Wolfenstein, which is shockingly a lot of fun and makes the player so ungodly powerful that I feel genuinely sorry for the nazis, and Heroes Over Europe, which is a solid bit of aeroshootery.

Each one should take me 3-5 days to get through. After that? Dunno.

43. lofaesofa says:

I picked up Mass Effect in a Steam sale a few weeks ago and have been playing that when my friends haven’t been around to play L4D2. I’m very glad I waited until it was around £5 and think it’s a fairly average game.

I don’t feel attached to any of the party and my hopes of courting the doom-robot creator Tali are now dashed because I have to choose between the incredibly dull xenophobic human or the sexified blue alien. The personal development with the female human, Ashley Williams, was odd. Without having taken on any missions (except the compulsory ones) and leaving her polishing guns, she has started hitting on me whenever I talk with her. Likewise with the blue alien. It seems I missed the part where I developed a relationship with either of them… Then there is the crazy physics when driving the planet exploration buggy. That bit feels like they gave it to a work experience student.

I hope that it picks up toward the end and there are some fantastic revelations. Like I’m the reincarnation of an ancient evil that was imprisoned in an alien beacon and I get the choice to consume the galaxy. Really though, I suspect that once I get Batman AA running (GFWL pops up on the splash screen then stutters and dies) I’ll forget all about Mass Effect.

• Jonesy says:

Mass Effect was a great game. I was going thru a divorce right when that game came out, bought that sucker, went home buried my head in the story of M.E. and polished off a few bottles of GIN, I think I completed most of the side quests even. I also went back and played that game again this year. Love huge epic story lines like this one.

The prequel book was also an excellent read. If your a Sci-FI lunatic like myself.

Give the game a chance, it seems to really pick up pace twards the end, although I know what you mean about not feeling attached to the characters in the beginning. I was kinda pissed later on, which was probably the reaction the developers were looking to illicit, when I couldn’t save some of the other friends I had acquired during the game, I won’t spoil the story, but I now classify this game as a WIN!

=)

44. lofaesofa says:

I didn’t intend for most of my post to be emphasised. Just the word dashed. Bother.

• jRides says:

To Edit your post you need to access the thread via the forum rather than the front page. :)

• jRides says:

Oh, it also helps if your logged in when you post in the first place…
      EDIT: D’oh!

45. Pijama says:

I am the only one who actually noticed how similar the good king looks like Jim?

46. kyrieee says:

I just beat Serious Sam HD. It was great =) I hope they come out with The Second Encounter too

47. Choca says:

I am building a fake moustache to go with my top hat and monocle.

Aside from that, I’m playing two separate Blood Bowl championships and my 3rd and 4th Dragon Age playtrought at the same time while I try to find a reason why I should keep playing Champions Online.

48. Latro says:

I was going strong in Dragon Age, advancing a sizeable ammount each night.

But then come Solium Infernum and I’m now trying to descipher this complex thing and understanding it so I can be all the arch-fiend I can be, so I guess Ferendel is going to be on hiatus for a while.

If the SI bug gets stronger I may come out of my turtle shell and try to explore that weird realm of multiplayer by email :-P

49. Ragnar says:

I want to finish Arcanum. That’s about it.

50. Blackberries says:

I’m currently racing the calendar to see if I can wrap Dragon Age up by Christmas. I’d dearly love to just sit and plow through it but my degree is acting as a black-hole-like time sink at the moment, malevolently sucking leisure time into its unchartable depths. Christmas time is Deadline Time. Bah.

I’m also yet to play all the campaigns on L4D2, to my great distress. I got some playtime in last weekend but a good chunk of that was spent in lobbies watching the game failing to find a server again and again and again.