Attack Of The Foreheads: STO’s Klingons

Another peek at Cryptic’s upcoming Star Trek Online, this time focusing on the Klingons and their motives for wanting to smack the Federation’s ships up. They sound angry. Was it because they were left out of the new movie? I’d be sad about that, if I was a Klingon. Doesn’t seem fair, really.

Not quite sure why the guy in this trailer sounds like a disgruntled Yoda, however. And I’m presuming it’s CGI rather than in-game, but I can’t tell anymore. I’ve been tricked so many times before! I can’t trust anyone!

It’s very much Klingons As Horde, isn’t it? Noble savages, convinced the smarmy humans’n’chums are out to get ’em. Seems like a smart way to handle the faction, really – I suspect out-and-out baddies wouldn’t make ’em all that appealing, plus it’d tick off a whole bunch of longstanding Trek fans.

General stance on STO seems to be cautious optimism, though I’m sure Cryptic are well aware of the intensity of the expect-o-gaze on them in the wake of the movie salvaging the Star Trek name from nerd hell and of their making a bit of a boo-boo with Champions Online. Hopefully that’s galvanized them into doing something incredible. Hopefully. For first-hand thoughts on STO, do read Kieron’s report on it from the recent Eurogamer Expo if you haven’t already.

1. Tei says:

This could be another oportunity to build the Klingons as a interesting race/character. I think G’Kar and the Narm, from Babylon 5 are a more interesting race on this style of “berseker militarist traditionalist snakemen”.

2. CMaster says:

Minor technical niggle – KG played it at the MGM expo, a good while before Eurogamer. I added my eurogamer thoughts to that article though, and I daresay some other RPS types had a go at Eurogamer too. Still, suffice to say that bit of play made me even less interested in the game than I was before. Meanwhile Global Agenda moved well up my list of “hmm, interestings” after playing it.

3. Sajmn says:

Lok’tar ogar warchief! I am yours to command!

4. Starky says:

Every bit of info I see about STO the less and less I care maybe it’s just too far off and the hype isn’t building for me – cautious optimism is turning into incurious apathism.

While in contrast Biowares Old republic is looking better and better with every bit of info they reveal.

I thought it would be the other way around, for while I love the original (holy) trilogy, I’ve seen every episode of TNG at least 3 times (if not more over the years – thanks to endless TV repeats), most of DS9, and all of voyager (in that order of enjoyment also, except for the first season and a bit of DS9 which was dire).
    Hell I even watched and enjoyed (to a degree) Enterprise.

It’s looking more and more like a bog standard MMO in Star Trek skins, which seems a waste of the IP.

5. DMJ says:

Every time I see those starships fighting, something in me wishes that they’d just make Bridge Commander into an MMO. This looks more like (gak) Legacy.

6. cliffski says:

this was either 100% cutscene, or 90% cutscene and 10% publisher logos. either way, it tells me absolutely sod all about what this game will play like, and look like.
    If this is Eve online a’la’trek, count me in. If it is guild wars or WoW with klingons, count me out. If they can’t be bothered ti explain the game, I’ll assume the latter.

• CMaster says:

It’s CoH with Klingons and (presumably) without the relatively busy space that was the city in CoH.

• bookwormat says:

I’m not a trekkie, but I’m pretty sure that there is no such thing as a “Klingon Warbird” in Star Trek fiction.

• bookwormat says:

arg, this was not intented to be a comment to cliffski’s post. anyone want to fix that?

• Wulf says:

Bird of Prey, et al.

Me? I’m waiting to see whether there are any interesting races in this, or whether they’ve followed the shite TNG/DS9 (and to a lesser degree, Voyager) approach.

Will we see Gorn, Caitians, Tholians, sentient slug things, and so on (Gods, I loved the original series), or are we going to see humans, humans with facial bumps, humans with tats, humans with bumps and tats, disfigured humans, very disfigured humans, humans with very smooth skin, humans with different skin colours, humans with antennae, short humans, humans with pointy ears, humans, humans, and more bloody humans?

Really, if I wanted humans, I’d read a detective novel that at least depicts humans interestingly, if I engage in Sci-Fi/Fantasy then I want escapism, damn it! To hell with the small minded idiots who couldn’t deal with playing something that’s unfamiliar to them, I want something exotic and strange!

So a lot of my interest in this is going to depend on whether they take the genuinely fascinataing or utterly cheap and shite approach to aliens.

Frankly, I preferred the cheap special effects of older Doctor Who series to the bump faces of later Star Trek, but that’s just me.

7. Calabi says:

Its a bit of a simplistic interpretation but I guess they’ve got to take into account the drop in IQs of recent years.

8. devlocke says:

I don’t really care about the Star Trek MMO at all, though if it turns out to be good, I’ll play it. I just wanted to mention that something about an Onyx reference in the title to a post about Star Trek is making me giggle.

9. We Fly Spitfires says:

Hmm… they don’t look so great in that screenshot :(

10. Dain says:

In the shiny utopia of the future, there is only WAR.

11. Bobsy says:

God, Star Trek is boring. Even the Klingons are boring. They’ve been out-Klingon’d by WoW’s orcs and now they’re getting all pissy about it. The only race that I’ve ever had the slightest interest in are the Cardassians, and even they’re a one-track species.

Oh Star Trek. What kind of alien do you want to be? The angry race, the greedy race, the sneaky race, the logical race or the space-jews? It’s a galaxy of adventure!

• TotalBiscuit says:

Hand in your nerd-card, at once, you no longer qualify.

• Agrajag says:

Do I get to play as Jem’Hadar? Or a Talaxian – cook your way into high command.

• Starky says:

On the subject of races, the day Borg is a playable race is the day I will just give Cryptic my credit card and say “here take what you like”.

• Bobsy says:

Hand in your nerd-card, at once, you no longer qualify.

Oh good.

On the subject of the Jem’Hadar, weren’t they just Klingons with a massive frontal lobotomy and a creepy addiction to milk?

12. Guy says:

You have to hand it to those Klingons. It takes a lot of discipline to get up and polish your entire body every day.

13. bill says:

They’re probably relieved they weren’t in that movie. It was pretty terrible.

“Hey! I’m Kirk! I have no skills, no experience, no PLAN, gimme a ship and lets go and blow stuff up… cos… er… cos the rest of star fleet is off somewhere buying patio furniture.”

• Vinraith says:

Indeed. It spared them the severe allergic reaction that the Romulans involved had to that godawful script. Poor things, their ears swelled up something terrible.

• Pantsman says:

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I really don’t understand why they didn’t just show the cadets graduating (with Kirk getting held back due to the Kobayashi incident) just before being summoned to their ships. Would’ve made it that much more believable.