Gordon Gecko Heaven: Greed: Black Borders

Seriously! I can't even find a fucking screenshot of the thing which is for press use, so I'm reduced to grabbing from the video
This is… well, tricky to post quickly about. There’s a 450 Mb demo of the new action-RPG Greed: Black Borders (Which, is a terribly appropriate name for anything that feeds into the old MUST LOOT EVERYTHING urge). Splendid, let’s do a post. But googling manages to find pretty much no information on it. In fact, it’s pretty hard to find anything which isn’t scene-piracy sites. It’s apparently out! But where to get it from? And how? And why? I’ll wait for a journalist to find out, as I’m off to eat dinner. Here’s a video until further facts emerge…

Seriously. In the modern age that a game is so hard to even google is pretty unforgivable in terms of marketing fail. There’s a press release over at worthplaying, which talks about interesting things like 3-player co-op. 3 player! I actually wrote that as 4, then went back to check, presuming it actually said “play with 3 friends”. But no! 3 player co-op! Mentals! This game’s got my goat, but…

Seriously, I gotta go eat.

Seriously.

I’ll pass this post over to Quinns.

“Tight”.

1. jsutcliffe says:

Ooh, shiny. What is it?

2. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I’m a firestarter, twisted firestarter…

3. Some Guy says:

looks nice

4. unclelou says:

I only noticed this a week or so ago in a release list, and being such a terrible loot harlot (harloot?), it was immediately on my radar. It’s from the team that made Avencast, FWIW.

Will try the demo now, thanks for the heads up.

5. Jon says:

This game, is it? From the same people as Twin Sector? Release date, 10th of December?

6. Blather Blob says:

Just this last weekend I had gotten curious about what PC exclusives had come out over the last year, and google led me to this really quite nicely done list, where Greed caught my eye. But when I tried to see if it was out yet the newest information I could find was this press release from October which shows the developers have changed names since starting the game, probably not a great sign, and that “the release of GREED [outside Germany] is still pending because no adequate distribution partner has been found until today”. I guessed it was probably never going to get a wider release, and was very surprised to see a demo out today.

7. Erwie says:

It’s out in Germany this week, not sure when the rest of the world will follow. It’s being published by Headup Games: link to headupgames.com, the guys who also did Twin Sector. And it’s made by the guys who did Avencast.

8. Korgan says:

Looks like Space Siege done right. Niiiice.

9. Keroton says:

Controls are really bad :(

10. Derf says:

From that video, the animations look a tad … unfinished. For example, when the dude turns 180 degrees, he just seems to flip instantly.

Other than that, the concept looks fairly appealing to me. The only thing that turns me off is the high amount of flashy overdone energy. The same thing that turns me off about RPG’s is the equivalent flashy hi-magic-ness.

11. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

There was an isometric sci-fi RPG called Creed..but nobody will probably remember it anyway, so..I remember trying it on my Pentium 133 MHz, 32MB RAM and 1MB graphic card…in 320*240 and it ran like shit :)

12. malkav11 says:

It’s not -that- uncommon for pirates to get hold of games before they’re actually out. Usually there’s at least -some- net writing about it, though.

13. Keroton says:

i rember old greed its from 1999 if i rember right…played it for couple of hours only searched for it again everyday since.

14. reindall says:

It is fun, but it takes waaaay too long to finish a 12 round game…

15. TheJimTimMan says:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Never judge a game by it’s demo and all that, but the inventory is simply appalling in it’s size considering the amount of loot that was vomiting itself from the corpses of my enemies.
    I wouldn’t mind, normally, but I don’t think I’ve actually found an item that isn’t at least 1 level higher than I am- add in the length of time it takes to level and it really does start to feel like you are being swamped with useless junk that you’ll never actually use for a few more hours (and you usually find something better en-route anyway).
    I would continue this rantt, but it’s 1 AM and I have Maths mock exams in the morn.

• TheJimTimMan says:

Agh, reply fail! Rant @Korgan, damn this faulty comments system.

16. Alez says:

Just tried it now thanks to this post. Noticed it before but didn’t care to try it. I love co-op so i gave it a quickie try with a friend to see if it works. Nice and fast join system.

Very similar to Dungeon Siege. As in, it seems quite boring and only good when you don’t have anything other to play, which is not the case since it’s Christmas time and games are falling from the sky (one might say raining games but i’m too lazy to use backspace).

17. Alez says:

I mean SPACE siege. You know, the bad siege game that sucked…and was in space.

18. Sam says:

Tried the demo. I’d put it about on par with Space Siege. Shadowgrounds is leagues better for this sort of thing.

• unclelou says:

Plays quite nicely, I thought. Much better than Space Siege.

The problem I see is that each character class seems to only have one basic weapon with minor variations at its disposal. Not good for a loot game.

19. Lobotomist says:

Tried the demo. Its same like space siege. Meaning:

It fails to put proper controls for such game which should be WASD movement and mouse 360 fire arc.

(Like shadowgrounds , and hopefully new Alien Breed.)

Shame.

• Pod says:

Should it? What’s wrong with the Cannon Fodder style? It makes things more hectric. (Though this game doesn’t run at the same pace)

20. mechanoid says:

It’s available here:

link to amazon.de

21. Urre says:

Doesn’t “play with 3 friends” actually make 4 player coop? You, plus three, equals four?

22. Urre says:

Doesn’t “play with 3 friends” make 4 player coop? You, plus three, equals four?

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

You’re waggling around the wrong end of the stick, read Kieron’s post again.

23. disperse says:

Please take this engine, develop a turn-based RPG, and call it Fallout 4. Thanks.

24. Peace of Eight says:

Looks mildy interesting, but the player filming the video has a severe and unmedicated case of ADD.

25. iSoLateD1 says:

this demo runs like crap on my gtx295 in maximum settings. The game is pretty much crap too.

26. Rikard says:

Seems like a good game. But the horrible controls made me stop playing after 20minutes, extremely awkward not being able to move and shoot at the same time. Awaiting control patch with wasd movement, until then this game is dead to me! :'( Dead, i say!!!