The First M.U.L.E. The Angels Did Say…

Oh God. We’ve gone all seasonal. Everyone in the world has mailed about this – someone’s taken the ancient classic strategy game M.U.L.E. and done a modern version of it. M.U.L.E. was – along with Seven Cities Of Gold – one of the games which solidified designer Dani Bunten’s reputation, especially in the US. It’s good to see a modern version, because as a Spectrum gamer, I never got a chance to even see it. I’m downloading now – though slowly, as I suspect the servers are being hammered – and am looking forward to giving it a shot. You can go get it here.

1. Torgen says:

Oh dear God, for real? I hope it has the same music tunes! Seems that nowadays you could make it a browser game, considering the advances in computational power.

2. Ozzie says:

Never heard of M.U.E.L., didn’t know Dani Bunten made a game called like that. :P

3. Torgen says:

It’s -way- after 5pm there, so wasn’t going to say anything. Kieron probably posted from the pub. Way, public wifi!

4. Ozzie says:

Hehe, so far he already fixed two of the three typos. ;)
    Anyway, thanks for the link!
    I never played the game before, so this is a great opportunity!

5. Ozzie says:

Hehe, so far he already fixed two of the three typos. ;)
    Anyway, thanks for the link!
    I never played the game before, so this is a great opportunity!!

6. Ozzie says:

Godammit! The comment system continues to suck….

7. c-Row says:

Never played this, but… *prepares to get flamed even more now*… I loved Austrian company Linel’s pseudo-remake “Traders” on my Amiga a lot.

*sniff*

8. sNeeKa says:

Me and couple of friends used to sit around the c64 and pass the joystick around playing M.U.L.E all night long. Good times! The only thing that’s come close to as good was a PC clone called Space Horse that was pretty fun too. Looking forward to trying this version.

9. blaargh says:

Hooray for OSX builds!

10. Tei says:

I remenber playing this game with my brothers and sisters, and with friends. 4 players ‘deathmatch’ with awesome fun economic rules. I have tried to play the same thing again, but is imposible. The magic is gone. MULE is awesome.

• Tei says:

Is a social game. If you are building a energy or food monopoly, talk with the other players, let then know you will play friendly (even If you will not). Prices for energy can skyroocket in some moments. Cristity is always a good invest, If you can find rich areas, but not if other people are tryiing, and is better to stock cristyte after the pirates attack. Smithore is also good, If you are good taking lands. You will win, if you are good, and If other people think you are cool. Everyone can win, if the whole colony economy grown a lot.

11. hoff says:

Charming. Personally, I didn’t know a thing about M.U.L.E. but the whole story around this seems interesting.

12. Railick says:

This should be fairly obvious but are we going to have some RPS M.U.L.E. matches going on here :P we should start up a thread else where so we can set up games.

13. PleasingFungus says:

Never had a chance to play this, back when. (I wasn’t alive when it came out!) Now I can. And it’s awesome!

(Set up a voice chat thing through Steam, all four of us shouting at each-other has we undercut prices and accidentally starved ourselves and bought overpriced M.U.L.E.s. Then it locked up, but still, excellent social fun!)

14. LionsPhil says:

Hmm. Well that puts rather a spin on the open-source remake I’ve been slowly hacking away at.

Although, looking at their news page, they got an awful lot wrong for a first pass (they let you mine the river?!). But, hey, theirs is in a playable state. ;)

• LionsPhil says:

– Reasonable pass at the music. I prefer DelMurice’s Mule-Funk-Shun, but it’s good.
      – Um. Where are the Beginner/Standard/Tournament difficulty levels?
      – No AI outside of “Training”, no same-screen local games? Come on, this is a game that was designed for four-people-around-a-TV play—you know, the kind of thing that youngsters think the Wii invented. The original MULE manual even advocates cunning distractions taking advantage of local proximity and the resultant japery.
      – If there’s a trick to actually playing this without signing up for an account, I’m missing it. Setting up a local game just seems to yeild a black screen and throw me into “visitors”, rather than “players”.

• DavidK says:

LionsPhil, I’m interested in your OS remake. Got link?

• LionsPhil says:

Not yet. There have been a lot of amateur attempts to remake MULE, and I’d rather avoid adding to the noise until it’s playable. (Then I’ll want noise, in the hope of attracting someone to replace the placeholder graphics. ;) )

There’s a little bit more info here.

15. Tei says:

I think this is the best MULE clone I have ever played. You can miss the old Monty Pythonske drawing and ethos, but this one as a equally valid Cuteness Style… that work for me. Is a bit of a distraction the separation of game/chat, and theres some fighting the keys. Maybe the worst bits of this one is the netcode. The first problem with it, result on a game broken. MULE is a short game, only 12 turns, but still seems about 50% (YMMV) games fail, thats a lot..
    On the nice bits, theres a bit of metagaming here, with a score (games win, abandoned..) and a universe map with the result of the colonization.
    I am looking forward for a future for MULE. This version shows that is not a outdated game, and can be played and be a fun game for the 2009 gamers.

16. Torgen says:

Is it possible to play this single player against AI?

• lesslucid says:

Yes, just play a training game and press the “add ai” button.