Ship Building: Bob Came In Pieces

I wonder if aliens have ever had a nice sensible landing.

Here’s a really cute trailer for a game I’d not spotted before this morning: Bob Came In Pieces. (And with that name everyone should be grateful that it’s me who’s writing about it and not Kieron.) It’s a puzzle platformer that looks utterly charming, flying a small ship around, pushing the scenery, blowing things up, and of course collecting coins. The concept appears to be solving the levels’ puzzles by how you rebuild your broken ship, and thus what abilities it possesses. It looks like a really smart idea, cobbling together your ideal setup from the pieces you’ve found, and then using them in the game. Well, take a look.

The game comes from Swedish developers Ludosity Interactive, and is due to be released on the 21st December. We’re hoping to take a look at it before then, and we’ll let you know our thoughts.

1. Wowbagger says:

Hi, have played some early versions of this game and it’s quite fun (and I’m not that easy to impress, wow! I just found a peanut behind my keyboard, yeah!)

2. Jochen Scheisse says:

I wish someone would make another “Robinson” game, in the vein of Robinson’s Requiem or Notrium. Those games were the first thing to come to my mind when I saw the trailer. That said, the game looks fun.

• army of none says:

Oh my god yes. I’ve put so many hours into Notrium and a few other mods. I would pay SO MUCH MONEY for a new Notrium-like survival game, where you have to craft your own weapons and survival tools to get food, water, shelter, heat, etc. So much want.

3. James G says:

Looks lovely, and could be quite fun if done correctly.

4. Heliocentric says:

The recent Banjo game on the 360 made me really jellous of people in consolondon, an action game where you strap together a machine and drive it about.

Yes this sounds very exciting.

5. BAReFOOt says:

Man, I love games where you can see that it was made with the love for making games! There are all these little tiny cool things and cutenesses. It’s like meeting Mia Rose (Isn’t it impossible, not to fall in love with her?), after meeting Mr. EA sleazy drug dealer.

6. Rob Hale says:

While it claims to be available for purchase at their site I failed to find anything resembling a store or even a price. Boo.

John Walker says:

I didn’t see any claim like that. They do however say on the site that it’s out on the 21st.

• Optimaximal says:

The end of the trailer says ‘buy it at Ludosity.com’. Still, I’m willing to let that slip for something that looks so positively fantastic!

7. CMaster says:

Reminds me a bit of those vids for pixeljunk game 4, which also looked pretty awesome.

8. pilouuuu says:

The screenshot makes me think of a GOOD Spore, but the video reminds me of the graphics of Trine.

• Baris says:

You had to compare it to trine, didn’t you? Now I’m forced to buy it.

9. Colin says:

Seems a bit like Little Big Planet meets Gravity Power. That’s a good thing.

10. Wulf says:

A few thoughts…

When I saw Bob emblazoned in big letters, I couldn’t help but think of Toys for Bob, which in turn elicited mental imagery of Star Control II. Those were good mental images stoo, as Star Control II (also known as the Ur-Quan Masters) had some of the most charismatic, ingenious, and genuinely enjoyable alien races I’ve ever encountered in a game. Unlike Star Control III, not developed by Toys for Bob, which totally butchered the races. I could weep over what they did to the Pkunk.

But I digress!

When I first saw the ship, I was reminded of Batteries Not Included (which was a beautiful, heart-warming tale with a fabulously written ending, to hell with the Speilberg-spurning yobs!), and I would be very pleased if the ship was its own entity, not at all piloted by some little man but actually a space-borne sentient entity in its own right. Now that would give it a unique feel, and to be honest, the ship is so quirky and charming in its own right that it doesn’t need a pilot to enhance its story, so I hope that they either imply it’s a sentient mechanical being, or don’t say either way.

…and now I want to watch Batteries Not Included for what must be the 30th time considering how many times I’ve watched repeats on telly, but onto other things for now.

This reminded me of Little Big Planet, running around, pushing things, pulling things, interacting with a very physics-enabled environment so that things happen, and therefore I like what I see. LittleBigPlanet is in my list of top games since ever. Yes, yes, I know, I’m a traitor and a philistine, but to be honest it’s the only reason I’ve sat in front of my PS3 for more than ten minutes, and it has Stephen Fry, damn you all! I love Stephen Fry. The portable version of Little Big Planet actually turned out to be better too, which is an amazing accomplishment, it plays better as a portable game, a lot of the flaws are fixed with the format (two plays of in-out movement instead of three), and the Cambridge dev team made it play more like an Indy movie, if that makes any sense. It was a bit more puzzly, too.

But yes, the loss of Stephen Fry in an LBP-like game is a big blow, but regardless, if it’s LBP-like then I’ll be giving it a look, as I gave Trine a look for the same reason. And really, this looks like it could be more charming and endearing than Trine. If these developers play their cards right, they have a true winner on their hands, there.

• Wulf says:

Oh! And was anyone else reminded of games in which one collects ship parts? My mind immediately jumped to Knytt (the first one), Toejam & Earl, and that game from the home computer era that I can never remember the name of…

• James G says:

Jetpack?

• Wulf says:

Jetpac (minus the k on purpose, as that’s how it was spelled), yes! Thank you! Trying to remember the name of that one was driving me loopy, I tend to be terrible with names.

But yes, the “Oh, you crashed! Go gad about like a fool in a dangerous environment so you can collect bits of your ship to get out of there!” seem to be a largely forgotten trope in the videogaming world, only recently-ish done by Knytt, but this seems like a really fresh take on the idea, since instead of collecting parts of one’s ship, one does seem to be collecting parts of oneself, which turn out to be upgrades.

Seems sort of like Jetpac meets Tumiki Fighters meets LBP. And I’m more eager to play this the more I think about it.

• PleasingFungus says:

Well, I mean, if you’re going to talk about games in which you wander about an alien world solving puzzles to recover the lost parts of your crashed ship… you really can’t overlook Pikmin! Probably had the silliest set of lost-ship-bits to find, too; one of the (optional) bits you could recover was, as memory serves, a massage chair.

Anyway, this game looks nifty! The trailer leaves me uncertain as to how much scope for customization there’ll really be – not convinced by this pipe model? – but it could be really good. I will be on the watch!

11. Purple0limar says:

Makes me think of Pikmin. *teary eyes*

12. jsutcliffe says:

Oh my, I like the look of this. I love physics simulation game mechanics, I love clear and colourful graphics, and I love Thrust clones. This looks splendid!

13. James G says:

Indiegames.com have a mini-preview:
    link to bit.ly

14. WilPal says:

Yay! Looks like Exile in a little spaceship. :D

• Gabe says:

Yes, that’s it WilPal!

I love it* when RPS commenters mention the game that I’m thinking of – but can’t name.

*Although, if this keeps happening, soon I won’t have to access my gaming long-term memory at all, and the neural paths will wither. Hmm, that might be bad. MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm DONUTS.

15. Richard Jones says:

“solving the levels’ puzzles by how you rebuild your broken ship, and thus what abilities it possesses” sounds a lot like my brother-in-law’s entry for a March 2008 game programming competition I ran:

link to partiallydisassembled.net

16. Hideous says:

Going to school in the same city as Ludosity has it’s advantages – I was recently over there and played a test build.

It’s pretty great. You should all buy it when it’s out.

17. Thomas Grové says:

I played a beta of this game when it was an entry in the Unity Awards. I remember scoring it really high in gameplay; the puzzles were really inspired.

18. Maxim says:

It is made in Unity and thus uses PhysX :)

19. Maxim says:

The homepage has been updated and you can buy the game now! :D
    link to ludosity.com
    link to ludosity.com

20. jsutcliffe says:

Via TIGSource, the game is out now, priced at $9.89 (£6.45), thought there’s no demo. I now know what I am doing this evening.
    link to ludosity.com
    Edit: Apparently, I should have read the above post before I wrote this one…

21. Shadowcat says:

I’m enjoying this a lot. Some tasks can be a bit fiddly, and I had trouble bumping into things to start with, but on the whole it plays really well; and while there’s a limit to the sorts of gameplay activities that the game throws at you, the physics and the ever-changing configuration of your ship keeps the flying fun and varied.

Direct purchase from the developer is DRM-free, so you should go and give him your dollars (unless you desperately want the achievements in Steam).

Make sure you at least try the demo.

22. plus size mother of the bride says:

I just can’t believe with your post. Two thumbs up. Well done. I do not know how to start this madness just to compliment your post.

Dresses