Eve Online: Tyrannis

The Eve Online universe is preparing for its transformation into the PC/console hybrid game that has been proposed for Dust 514, and the first stage of that involves bring the planets – which are currently little more than pretty background scenery – into the mechanics of the game. The next expansion, Tyrannis, will allow players to survey planets for resources and begin harvesting them – even building structures on planet surfaces. It’s a move which sort of fills in the last blank space in the Eve galaxy.

The full dev blog on the expansion can be read here.

1. Wolfman says:

As a PvPer who doesn’t have any interest in industrial / mining activity this announcement doesn’t fill me with excitement. The only thing mentioned in the blog for PvPers is the curing of blob lag which isn’t something new and exciting but a bug fix instead. I was hoping that the lag issue was going to be sorted before the next major update, now it looks as though we will have to wait. :(

• Batolemaeus says:

Dito. CCP suffers from severe development adhd. They introduce something and immediately see something shiny and forget what they did before. There are so many features that were introduced over time and need attention or are even plain broken, but development focus already shifted to the next shiny thing.
      In other news, the structures introduced with the new sov system still do not work properly. That is, upgrading your space doesn’t work (since only two of the five upgrades actually have an effect, the others are broken), there are tons of bugs in it, design flaws en masse, and the server performance has gone back to ’07.

To be honest, i feel that Tyrannis is actually symbolic for marketing taking over development..

2. Batolemaeus says:

Great. Overzealous spam filter deleting my comment after I tried to correct a typo. :(

3. Heliocentric says:

Remember eve players, dust is an fps so make sure every other building is filled with explosive barrels or invincible crates and all planets whether populated or not need a full sewer system.

• Leperous says:

Invincible crates will be the new morphite!

• Kommissar Nicko says:

Oh sweet, I can finally set myself up as CEO of Exploding Barrel Corp., LLC and make my millions providing exploding barrels to warehouse owners everywhere.

4. AVarotsis says:

As if I needed a reason to get back into EVE :(

5. zombiehunter says:

“EVE Gate will allow you to interact with EVE through a regular web browser. At first, we are giving you communication and collaboration tools. You will be able to access your EVE Mail through a browser, we are adding a calendar both in-game and out of game and are upgrading and streamlining our contacts and standings system”

oh my gawd i’ve been hoping for this!
    Having to log in to read and write mails aka contact all corp mates without using a gazillion of tools (ts/icq/irc/jabber/aim…….) was very very f***d up!

6. Antsy says:

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS”

Love it.

• Thants says:

Except Europa! They forgot about that part. Man, the monolith is gonna be pissed.

7. The Dark One says:

And then in a surprise move, the planetary zones will be governed by the WOD ruleset.

• MWoody says:

Where the hell IS that rumored MMO? Open-world EVE-like Vampire/Werewolf game is pretty much end of the road for me. Productivity, social life, done. They’ll find my corpulent corpse glued to a computer and surrounded by a wall of pizza boxes.

• FunkyBadger says:

The unseen hand of Bill Bridges, muhahahaha… etc.

8. Mike says:

Oh my. Very excited to hear plans for Dust’s integration are still alive.

9. Davidalpha says:

I sincerely hope this will boost living in lowsec. I like these industry / exploration expansions but I have yet to benefit from them. Generally they make highsec a little less boring and nullsec more interesting. Lowsec tends to only get a slighty better deal then highsec. Just look at the huuuge differences in plexes (as in DED plex) that exist in lowsec and nullsec.

Cooper says:

EVE Gate is gonna be very useful.

I imagine, on the pew pew PvP side of things, this means more static installations to defend.

If these installations aren’t too super-strong like current player owned structures, and can be disrupted by small gangs – it should make for something interesting.

11. Magic H8 Ball says:

PCs and consoles. Strategy and FPS. Persistence and rounds. Pay to play and microtransactions.

Combined.

Those Icelanders are crazy, I tell you. Batshit insane.

And the worst thing is, this can actually work.

12. Tei says:

“Scanning worlds for resources”.

Is me, or this sounds a lot like the ME2 minigame?

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Which one? Oh – the one where you scan worlds for resources? Yeah that sounds familiar.

• Brian Rubin says:

You mean the ME2 minigame that, to me, sounds a lot like the planetary interaction from the Starflight series?

13. HurfDurf says:

Industry is well overdue an update, not like PVP hasnt got something in nearly every other expansion

14. psyj says:

“As if I needed a reason to get back into EVE :(”

This, damn you CCP damn you

15. ET says:

‘Scanning worlds for resources’

Excuse me if that reminds me of Star Control 2. Then again, the words ‘scan’ and ‘resource’ reminds me of SC2 in general.

16. Nilocy says:

I’m so totally going to become a dictator.

17. john says:

for God’s sake, where’s walking in stations? Every bloody time there’s a new expansion, we’re always told it’s going to be in the next one. It would do a huge amount to provide some balance in the tone of the game, and attract a much wider user base.

• Dominic White says:

While I would love to see the Incarna stuff added sooner rather than later, the truth of the matter is that it effectively requires CCP to develop a whole second game on top of their existing one, but to expect very little additional profit from it.

That’s why they’re doing Dust first. Get the on-foot stuff all worked out on a PC-like platform and integrate it into the Eve universe, then they can cross-port elements of that onto the PC so that the pod people can walk on their own two legs.

• Guy Jin says:

It will be done Soon™

18. Telidon says:

Yep Wolfman, Eve was expressly made only for your enjoyment.

• Wolfman says:

I know, I didn’t mean to sound that whiny, but I figure if they are going to do an update they should put a little bit of something new in there for all professions in the game so that everyone is happy! :)

19. utharda says:

Since we aren’t going to be able to nuke console gamers from orbit… can we at least fire them at the ground ala starship troopers?

By ground of course, I mean any handy star.

20. MadMatty says:

It´d be great news if i could do a seamless planetary landing, but i dont think thats in yet.
    Still waiting for Infinity Universe if anyone heard o´ that.
    link to infinity-universe.com

• Davee says:

Ah yes, Infinity – the everlasting indie MMO project :D
      No, but really, I’ve been monitoring it for a while. Will take a long time for the small crew to finish it though. But when (if) they do – EPIC.

And on-topic: Dang, I do hope DUST 514 will be released for PC. But at least the console players will have to obey or slightest whim, and who can say no to that?!
      Expansion looks interesting anyway.

21. Colin says:

Damn you CCP, trying to tempt me back into your strange yet loving embrace!

22. Danarchist says:

Thats a pretty looking spreadsheet!

(asbestos underwear…check)

23. Irony says:

I love you Eve, but It’s best we continue not to see each other anymore.

It’s not you, it’s me :(

24. The Great Wayne says:

What is not told in this devblog is the gazillion hours in the whole game that will have to be devoted to fueling and cargo-emptying those facilities, not talking about the logistics involved both forward and backward to simply thinking about owning some.

Also, you know they’re gonna put a timer on those planet conquest (if only to let people from dust 514 battle for them), and knowing the way how CCP does it, it’s gonna be painful.

While this update is a straightforward logical add-on for EvE-Dust 514, I don’t think it’s what the game is desperately lacking of. Come on guys… X-wing vs Tie-Fighter gameplay ffs… :p

25. Renzatic says:

“(Eve is so much fun to read about, and sound so interesting to play. Sadly, I don’t think I ever will.)”

Yup. There’s so much to love about Eve. The concept is brilliant, the gameplay is deep, and it has the coolest spaceships this side of every space game ever. Yet despite all these high points, I’ve never been able to get deeply into it. I’ve gave it a go twice now, but ended up leaving before the trial period ran out because getting foisted with all that required asteroid mining bored me right the hell out of my skull.

Hopefully this will change with Dust 514. If I can both pilot my little spaceship around and do some planetside raiding, the boring parts that caused me to run for the hills might become more interesting by association.

26. Rollermint says:

All sounds good and dandy but come ON, CCP! You know very well that deep down inside, each and every starship captain expects to be able to order a tactical nuke strike from orbit! PLS PLS PLS LET US DO THAT ON DUST PLAYERS :P

Dust514 player aka Console Gamers : “MUAHAHAHA! ANOTHER QUALITY SHOOTER FOR USSSS!!!”

Respectable Starship Captain aka PC Gamer : “You heard that boys? Alright fleet, commence Orbital Bombardment!”

27. realcals says:

“I say we pull out…and nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

28. Bob Bobson says:

@Renzatic, you don’t need to mine in Eve. Someone does but it doesn’t have to be you. You can make more money running missions and salvaging at first and more money a hundred ways in low/null sec later on.

Mining is just good for when you have test match special on in the background or if you really want to do end to end production.

29. Dave says:

@Renzatic

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGG

Stop mining, NOW! Join the “rps community” chat channel and get into the rps eve corp. Look out for Major Goose/Mezgorod.