Time’s Up: Passage In 10 Seconds

Deep. Also, meaningful.

I stop playing Freespace 2. I read Man With Puffin’s mail. I click on the link. I play Passage In 10 Seconds, which is – er – Passage in 10 seconds. I go to bed. Night, RPS.

I also post Deveto-era Buzzcocks, because it’s in the title.

1. qrter says:

People tend to go on and on about the Sex Pistols, but Buzzcocks always was where it’s it at (and still is. At.).

2. MD says:

Hahaha. Brilliant! I reckon it could have done without the voicing at the end, but whatever

• MD says:

That wasn’t meant to be one of those angsty dangling ‘whatever’ un-terminated sentences. I meant to put a full stop there.

3. Benjamin Finkel says:

Hey, I laughed. Sometimes, we need to poke fun at the things we love. Although I doubt this Marcus Richert loves Passage.

Ben

4. The Hammer says:

Night, Kieron. 8D

5. zomd says:

I laughed. However, it’s not even close to encapsulating the experience of Passage. It’s like a bullet point presentation of the plot without understanding how important the presentation and mechanics are in conveying its main idea.

6. El Stevo says:

But is it ert?

7. Tull. says:

Awesome. Sums up how I felt about Passage perfectly. XD

8. Berzee says:

I played it four times! I love it!

9. ZomBuster says:

Yeh that pretty much sums it up. And it gave me a chuckle.

10. TCM says:

Now THIS is meta art!

11. OctaneHugo says:

Made me laugh. Then replayed The Passage.

Now I’m sad.

12. The Walker says:

I still can’t stop laughing.

13. Seth says:

Whoa, whoa, Kieron. You’re playing FreeSpace 2?

Are you familiar with the Source Code Project? It’s where most FreeSpace fans end up – it’s even officially recommended by the main FS2 distributors (i.e. GoG, these days). It brings the game up to modern graphical standards, and – more importantly – adds a bunch of new gameplay and mod features which are in turn used by brilliant new campaigns.

The community just released its latest gem, a campaign called Blue Planet. Fully voice acted and all that – a remarkable piece of work for such a small team. It would be something of an honor if you’d heard of it.

• Seth says:

And yes, I know you’re thinking that it’s just a mod, but…I really do think that in some ways the Source Code Project represents a pretty profound effort, comparable to and maybe exceeding the Half-Life 2 mod community.

This is a ten year old game that’s been essentially rewritten by volunteers to enable new gameplay and graphical elements: it went from 1999 graphics to pixel shaders and post-processing. That’s a degree of dedication that is not often seen. There are many brilliant mods for many brilliant games, but few of them involve modifying the engine they’re built on to a great extent, unless I’m terribly mistaken.

• Lambchops says:

Just a quick question on Freespace 2 campaigns. I got the source code mods when I first played Freespace 2 (I was somewhat late to the party!) to pretty up the graphics. I never played any of the user made campaigns at the time as I wasn’t really sure what the quality would be like. Can you reccommend some good campaign? I’ve got a hankering to dust off my joystick at some point and as there’s not really any new space games out at the moment going back to Freespace 2 would probably be my first post of call.

• AndrewC says:

Idea for business: hiring nerds to come round your house and install all these mods and community update things for you. I tried doing the Freespace 2 thing and got terribly confused.

You could treat it like having the builders round and cover all your furniture in sheets, hide all the good biscuits.

• Blackberries says:

Lambchops: Well my first suggestion would be the port of FS1, if you’ve not played it. All the first game’s missions reproduced identically, just with all the Source Code Project goodness. Besides that.. I’m quite fond of the tongue-in-cheek campaigns such as Just Another Day and its sequels. Short but funny.

And I am also intrigued as to why Kieron was playing FreeSpace 2. It’s genuinely my favourite game of all time, and it pleases me to see it still getting some love.

• Flameberge says:

Freespace 2 is amazing. Still never played anything that matches it. Closest feeling I’ve had was when I first played Freelancer, which was a very fun game, but didn’t scratch the right itch. I’ve never really got over the “Oh my sweet jesus, that’s a BIG ship!” that happened in Freespace 2.

• aldo_14 says:

Derelict is considered one of the bona-fide classics of FS2 campaigns, and it’s been updated for the SCP. (link to hard-light.net)

Other than that I dunno – I always spent more time actually modding the game than playing it. I can dis-recommend Casualties of War, though, because I made it (sort of) and it’s rubbish.

• Lambchops says:

I did play the Freespace one port and it was indeed good.

@ Flamberge

While Starlancer isn’t as good as Freespace and lacks the big ship awesomeness it’s well worth a go and is, in my opinion, miles better than Freelancer. One of the few games that actually gave you a feeling of being a small (but really kick arse) cog in a larger conflict and it had a much more alive supporting ast of comrades and enemies than any other space combat game. I fucking hated that glory hog Klaus Steiner! It was full of lovely touches, like a killboard and guys saluting you or ignoring you as you came on ship depending on your performance in battle.

Gameplay was mostly solid dogfighting, with a bit of escort (largely involving shooting down torpedos) and recon missions thrown in. It’s second only to the Freespace games in my eyes (I prefered it to the Star Wars efforts) but perhaps lacks that “my god that ship is huge” effect you are looking for.

• Seth says:

Lambchops:

The must-play campaigns are Derelict, Blue Planet, and Silent Threat Reborn. Windmills is also brilliant.

14. Bret says:

Original Passage Monocle Count: 0.

Ten Second Passage Monocle Count: 1.

I think the superior work should be easy enough to guess.

15. SpinalJack says:

made me lol
    now if someone will sum up all art games in 10 seconds that would be great

16. Saucy says:

You call this art? DO YOU?!

It’s not even made in flixel! He’s clearly showing capability to do draw something other than giant pixels?

HE’S TRYING TO DISTRACT YOU WITH SHINY GRAPHICS DON’T LET HIIIIIM!!!!!1!!!1!

17. Idiotbastard says:

how to play this f game????
    tell me
    i dont know!!!
    what i am supposed to do???
    do i need to bring that woman, old lady with me ? and how i do that??