Infectonator! World Dominator! Exclaimator!

I was mean about exclamation marks earlier this week. It should be stressed, this is what they’re for. We’ve written about Infectonator before. Now, that Mr Norskov has brought us the attention of a sequel – the titular Infectonator! World Dominator! – let’s write about it again. The core of the game remains – a cross between Peggle’s fire-and-forget design added to Plants Vs Zombie’s gold-collection plus some grindy-character advancement, but it’s got more detail plus a Syndicate-styled world-map and questionable ethnic stereotypes. Just a generally bigger game, and has eaten a half hour of mine already. Also, many fat people’s brains.

1. CMaster says:

Yeah, played it not long after it showed up on Kongregate.
    Spent quite a few hours slowly beating it and not really sure why, as it gets pretty tedious after a while.

Hint – after a certain point, damage adsorption and damage dealt are much more important than a little bit more speed or infection rate.

• medwards says:

Yeah I found it tiresome as the end approached as well… this could have easily been solved by simply having a ‘south-east asia’ region rather than having three separate ones. Also the game doesn’t give you enough fun feedback when you demolish interesting things… like if you destroy the North Pole town it would be nice to get a newsflash that said “omg santa reported dead! no more christmas!!1” and there is no feedback for eliminating all the communities on a given continent. All-in-all it’s fun for the first half and then you do the latter half just to get completion and its tedious as hell with insufficient lol’s to carry you to the finish.

2. Excalibur101 says:

The only thing that annoyed me was the artwork for the cities, I’m fairly sure they are taken from RPG Maker. Besides that, it’s a black hole of time.

3. Wulf says:

Rah! Rah! Rah!

…thanks, Kieron, I had a flashback of every bad cheerleader scene I’ve seen, ever, simultaneously!

Note to self-mind: Stop storing these things!

4. wcaypahwat says:

the lady shall be pleased with this

5. Max says:

That was a fun 5 mins.

6. RHippy says:

5 minutes? I think that just consumed about 2 hours of my life… the only reason I’m stopping playing is that my boss is hanging around my office now and I don’t think he’d approve of it as a way of spending time.

7. Fergus says:

Argh! Where did all my time just go?!

8. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I played it like 2 weeks ago basically during one of my classes. Fun but not as compelling as the first one. Feels much more like work and you fail a lot more (or I’m just terrible). And no clear way to get the special infected, though I stopped around Central America.

9. Chaz says:

Yeah, I must have just spent 2 hours beating this too, gets a bit tedious but it’s still quite adictive non the less.

10. Arathain says:

Is there something I’m not getting? I’m only playing the early stages but it seems like if there are no soldiers on the map, I win. If there are they effortlessly gun down all my zombies. Upgrades don’t seem to matter.

• Chaz says:

You just have to keep upgrading stuff until you can beat them, you get money even if you lose so keep plugging away at it. If you see a bunch of soldier on screen try and infect them with your initial hit.

11. Alez says:

Well what the fuck happened? I was on this article, i clicked something and…hours later i awoke to a game over screen telling me i got 60.000 points for something.

But really now, the col chicken guy is just superb. He MUST be in Left 4 Dead. I’m not sure because of the ugly graphics but i think he’s flashing people and zombie chickens come out.

12. Matt says:

This is like Every Extend Extra… but with mans.

13. Lu-Tze says:

Also, Speed Speed Infection Speed Speed.

Faster zombies have, in effect, a longer lifespan (they can go further before they die), more durability (they get shot less either due to dodging or because they get to the soldier sooner) as well as doing more damage (people avoid them less easily, so they die sooner).

Infection Rate is pretty vital as well though, you really want to get it up to at least 50% as soon as possible, so you can get a real horde going.

Once you’ve done that, you’ll start sailing through levels, and pumping up the other stats with ease.

Of the specials, (no spoilers) 3 is best kept back and used against other Specials, or dropped into a group of Soldiers. 4 is GREAT for dropping on groups of Soldiers, or any other mass of people. 5 and 8 are good to drop into the middle, away from your main zombies, as your grunts will draw the fire of the military and the specials ranged ability will pick off the soldiers from a distance. 6 and 7 should, if possible, be stuck inside a building, or otherwise away from the military as much as possible, they are fragile and the longer they last the better they are.

phuzz says:

So I managed to waste all afternoon, and killed every city, and somehow I’ve not got the reward for killing the whole earth, wtf?

15. Bret says:

Played a bit, quit. Fun, but it stops feeling like, well, a thing as you go, if my meaning is caught.

Hodge says:

Finally got a chance to play this. I agree the above criticisms (it’s repetitive, graphics a bit generic, the interface could give you more help/feedback, could do with being a bit shorter), but it’s still the most fun I’ve had in a good while.

Reminded me quite bit of Rampage, too (anyone else remember it? Mid 80’s King Kong/Godzilla homage), in that each level is based on a real city. More games should do this – it’s a small touch but it adds a lot.

17. Bret says:

I remember the Godzilla fighting game having major cities for the levels. Hitting a pal with the space needle was fun.

18. disperse says:

We’ll never, ever, get that time back boys and girls.