NEW SUIT! Wumbo Footage

Aw, they're Jelly Tots.

It pleases me greatly when a game’s developer describes his own game character as, “a small jelly stone/insect-like thingy”. It saves me having to work so hard at being ambiguous. This jelly thing can attach weapons to his body in a Gamemaker action platformer, created by one-man team GreenCream. Sam, who alerted me to the video, points out how it’s reminiscent of RunMan‘s bright silliness. Run, jump, double-jump, and fire painty blobs everywhere. It’s created as a student project, and currently in alpha stages, the idea is to eventually sell it for a bargain price once complete.

If you get frustrated with the minutes of action-free blabbing at the start, skip to minute 5 and watch from there. At that point a very interesting mechanic is revealed, being able to stretch the scenery in order to propel yourself. And then the fun of the paint gun is added, which looks tremendous. I’m a sucker for anything with a decent double-jump, and this looks extremely cute. There’s more details on the game’s Facebook page. Seven minutes of footage below:

1. Lilliput King says:

Runman was so damn good.

• Lambchops says:

Runman was good until it pulled those annoying boss chase levels that I just couldn’t be bothered with and ended up giving up.

Anyway this looks rather cute and i’ll more than likely be giving it a go as I’m a complete sucker for bright, pretty colours!

• Wulf says:

This is true, the PC could use more bright, pretty colours, to pull us out of that damned brown malaise. So yes, more of that. Of course, I’m still on a happy, colourful thing of delights sort of binge at the moment. And probably have been for years.

• Lilliput King says:

I quite liked that it was so difficult at times.

2. HexagonalBolts says:

Looks fantastic once it gets in to it

3. Wulf says:

I’m terribly amused at how reality abruptly just STOPS whenever the little bugger gets in a lift, he gets in the lift, and reality fades out, no sound, no life, no light, nothing, nothingness, a vast nothingness, for there is only the lift…

This game is going to leave me absolutely terrified of lifts, that much I know.

That said, this looks like fun, and I got an immediate TeeWorlds vibe mere moments after he’d acquired his NEW SUIT. But yes, this looks fun, and I would very, very much like to play it.

• Cynic says:

@Wulf
      Turn your speakers up, you’re missing the elevator muzak.

I understand that they’re making the player ride the elevator three times ironically but that makes it no less daft.

4. PleasingFungus says:

Seems to be a bit too much talking, with too little to say?

But I very much liked the aesthetic and the paint-cannon and the little flip at the top of the double-jump.

NEW SUIT!

• Wulf says:

If we’re not careful, that’s going to become a meme.

But it’s true, gaming has taught us throughout its history that any problem can be solved with a NEW SUIT.

5. Waltorious says:

The visuals actually remind me most of An Untitled Story, which is a rather challenging platformer that does indeed have a double jump, but you have to find the upgrade first in order to get it. Highly recommended. It’s by the same guy who makes the Jumper games I think, which are also double-jump games but those are SERIOUSLY hard.

6. Dreamhacker says:

This looks like Gish with programmer art!

7. Simone says:

This is awesome. Checked out the GB page there’s a lot of buzz around it and over 2000 likes. I think this is gonna be fun.